Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Except for being electric is it really that good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My input may be biased because my Model 3 is the Performance version and it is the finest driving car I have ever owned. Some of my prior cars were BMW's, Audi's, Honda's and Ferrairi's (among others). My M3P is a joy to drive and for the level of performance it delivers, nothing that I am aware of being currently available comes close price-wise. I have driven several Sonatas and although I cannot comment on any cruise control / AP-type features in them, they did not come close to my Tesla in terms of the driving experience -- at least for me as a car enthusiast.

To me, the M3P's drivetrain being electric is part of the overall package, but the driving experience and features are equally part of this car's charm...

Can’t consider yourself a car enthusiast till you own a Sonata pal. /s

I have only owned my tesla mod 3 for a few days but I have to say it in many ways is not as good as my 2018 hyundai sonata. First I have the 2019 3 long distance dual motor with fsd. The hyundai I was able to drive long distances with only jiggling the wheel. I did not have to enter a destination to be able to use its lane keep assist with adaptive speed control. The tesla still has the same problems about merging, exiting or taking a Y split. I do like the electric motor. It is very comfotable. Lots of visibility. Pretty quiet but does have some air leak noise. It grips the road nicely. The acceleration is great except that I keep it in chill. The regeneration takes some getting used to. The screen is really nice, I thought I would not like it. But I am old and wanted a car to really help me with my driving. I missed the new new computer by a few days but have been assured it would be replaced before the end of the year. Anyone want to take a bet on that, lol. Oh my software is 2019.12.2. One last thing, I live in a pretty small town that now has a whopping 3 t e s l a s. (Dang autocorrect).

So, Ramona48, you had your Model 3 for some more days. What are your thoughts now?

I agree with most your points. But Tesla’s don’t have “air noise” due to lack of engine noise. They have road noise because of lack of insulation (probably to keep weight down). I cannot hear my Jeep Summit engine cruising on the highway. With the 8 speed transmission the RPM is low, the front and side windows are acoustic double glass and the car has active noise cancelation. It is much quieter than my model 3. There are dozens of threads on the topic in case you missed it. Mods, tire choices and complaints. I’ve applied several mods to make it more tolerable. Nothing drastic, expensive or hard to do. It’s almost acceptable now. My reference is an extremely quiet vehicle. But my guess is their are even quieter vehicles and the OP might be used to even quieter (Lexus, MB etc.). Only time I’m hear my Jeep engine is when I floor it, it’s only a 6 cylinder.
So we have been discussing this and I never experienced a time I thought the model 3 was loud, Until yesterday. Took the car to the drag strip for test and tube night to race my buddies with a GTR and a 991 turbo. They both beat me, but I scared both of them since I was out in front 1/2 to 3/4 of the race. And that’s against cars that cost as much as two and three of my LR AWD. The road noise was insane when I crossed the finish line. 2nd run I paid more attention to speed. The noise gets exponentially louder after about 70 mph and at 100 mph it was deafening. At 70-80 reminded me of the road noise I got from my 1984 j60 Land Cruiser on 35” AT tires.

I’ll admit prior to this I don’t think I’d been over 70 and really only go even 65 for short <15 min stretches. The Tesla is an in town only up here in AK due to pretty much no charging infrastructure.

At 70-80 reminded me of the road noise I got from my 1984 j60 Land Cruiser on 35” AT tires.

Yes, this is my main issue. We get on the highway everyday on our commute doing 70-80 and have to crank up the volume to uncomfortable levels to understand our podcast. On long road trips, it means we arrive more fatigued than our S which is noticeably quieter and smoother. I'm not an engineer, but I would think this could be addressed with more sound insulation and maybe better bushings between the drivetrain and cabin.

The vast majority of what you're paying for is the electric drivetrain. You paid less than half the price for that privilege than people did a few years ago.

There is so much that comes with an electric drive train that I don't think you can really compare the two.

You're also comparing a high performance vehicle versus a non-performance vehicle. The Tesla is so much beyond what you really want in terms of acceleration that you put it in chill mode. Which is kinda like watering down a milk shake. It's no longer a $5 milkshake. :p

I imagine you're hoping for a more complete FSD solution, and that will come within a year or so.

But, you'll need to enter a destination to use it to its full potential.

The robot can't read your mind.

At least not yet...

If you don't care much for FSD (or at least the goals of it) then I think a Hyundai/Kia EV probably would have been a better fit for you. Especially if you don't care about the Supercharging network (that's another thing that's a big part of Tesla ownership).

Here is one from Kia that might interest you.

The Electrek Review: Kia Niro EV – The new normal…electric family car

I like the car but there are some weird problems. The car can not read road signs no matter what they say. Matter being elevated. And the set speed to road sign some times works. Other than that I like it a lot

The current software doesn't read speed signs. It gets all its speed information from maps.

That will change within the next 6-12 months with HW3/FSD. It's my understanding that you got the FSD package so you'll get the HW3 computer. So it should be capable of reading signs in around 6-12 months.

It does suck that the maps are so poor when it comes to accurate speed limit information. That's definitely a negative about the vehicle right now.

The current software doesn't read speed signs. It gets all its speed information from maps.

The manual somewhat contradicts this:

"In situations where Speed Assist is unable to determine a speed limit (for example, speed limit signs and GPS data are not available at the current location), or if Speed Assist is uncertain that an acquired speed limit is accurate (for example, although a speed limit sign was initially detected, some time has passed before a subsequent sign has been detected), the touchscreen may not display a speed limit sign and warnings do not take effect."​

I'm not trying to insist it works that way, but it's interesting that the manual talks about reading speed limit signs as if it's really happening.

The manual somewhat contradicts this:

"In situations where Speed Assist is unable to determine a speed limit (for example, speed limit signs and GPS data are not available at the current location), or if Speed Assist is uncertain that an acquired speed limit is accurate (for example, although a speed limit sign was initially detected, some time has passed before a subsequent sign has been detected), the touchscreen may not display a speed limit sign and warnings do not take effect."​

I'm not trying to insist it works that way, but it's interesting that the manual talks about reading speed limit signs as if it's really happening.

I don't think the manual is specific to your hardware version. If it isn't, then that language is there for the AP1 cars which do use Mobileye code to read speed limit signs (not always well, especially the unusual types.)

I don't regularly rag on the infotainment, but it's clear from many users here and other forums that it leaves a lot to be desired.

No, it's not clear that the infotainment is any less liked than in any other car. An Internet car forum is ALWAYS full of a vocal minority and it's not a scientific sampling of owners. In fact, it's not even limited to owners, unlike the Consumer Reports survey.

I struggle to see how it can get voted ahead of hardly any of the systems out there.

Consumer Reports uses verified owners of each car surveyed. That means that industry hacks from the competition, short-sellers and fossil fuel defenders cannot participate. At all. Only verified owners. And real owners who are participating are generally not influenced by these people before they answer the questions. An independent, private party survey like this is the only way to assure an unpolluted sampling of real owners.

In short, no Virginia, Internet car forums are not representative of the typical owner. I've seen this time and time again.

Saying “Except for being electric is it really that good?” is kind of like saying “Except for the sugar is candy really that good?”.

I like it!

Now that I've driven a couple of Model 3's on a regular basis it's hard for me to get into or drive an archaic gasoline powered car. Night and day difference. I don't miss anything about the archaic beasts.

Reactions: Evoforce