Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Powerwall 2s to get 50% power capacity increase with SW update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, for 99%, most would not care, let alone know there are changes. I guess many just are happy to have them. Most places will match a price reduction within 30 days. I would just expect my installers to know how to wire a setup to be future proof. All they had to do is run 8 gauge and case closed.
But then why not run 6 gauge in case they are further upped to 50A support? As far as I can tell, your installers had zero indication that the PWs, which Tesla specs as needing 30A breakers and 10 gauge wiring, would ever get a software update that would allow for higher throughput.

But then why not run 6 gauge in case they are further upped to 50A support? As far as I can tell, your installers had zero indication that the PWs, which Tesla specs as needing 30A breakers and 10 gauge wiring, would ever get a software update that would allow for higher throughput.
we have no idea if they knew or not, ever. But since other installs have been upgrading, sure seems to me some installers are pro active, and thinking ahead of the game. Maybe 6 gauge is even a better option. Material cost is peanuts!!

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
we have no idea if they knew or not, ever. But since other installs have been upgrading, sure seems to me some installers are pro active, and thinking ahead of the game. Maybe 6 gauge is even a better option. Material cost is peanuts!!
Sounds to me like it is just Tesla first-party installs, and just in the last week or two. And sure, material costs for one job are small, but they add up over many jobs.

Reactions: jhn_
I just checked my Powerwall installed in March, it is also a 2.1. The single line drawing shows #10 wire, I haven't check to see if that is what was installed. Ironically for a couple of weeks it was on a 40A breaker. Interestingly enough looking at the single line closely I see that that inverter was supposed to be installed #10 wire as well even though it is only a 20A breaker.

The moral of this story is if you get a system from @Vines then it'll have some fat gauge conductors, you won't have a bunch of disconnects, and your NEC placard will be cool. But if you go with others then your breakers will be sized funny, you'll have bare bones conductors, and maybe you'll have a lot of bollards.

I wonder where installers cut corners to juice their margins that most people here don't realize...

This would make a great advertisement IMO...

I just checked my Powerwall installed in March, it is also a 2.1. The single line drawing shows #10 wire, I haven't check to see if that is what was installed. Ironically for a couple of weeks it was on a 40A breaker. Interestingly enough looking at the single line closely I see that that inverter was supposed to be installed #10 wire as well even though it is only a 20A breaker.
oh I forgot to add that in the single line it was supposed to be a PowerWall 2.0.

I just checked mine from a Jan 13 install date and they are both 2.1. Breakers are 30A, didn’t open the panel to check wire gauge. So these have been in the wild for months. It would be nice if the combined charge rate could be increased past the 2.5Kw a piece I seem to peak out at. I had a few 5.5kw total but often I have more solar and there are times when it’s throwing power to the grid because the powerwalls seem to be at their max charge rate.

I just checked mine from a Jan 13 install date and they are both 2.1. Breakers are 30A, didn’t open the panel to check wire gauge. So these have been in the wild for months. It would be nice if the combined charge rate could be increased past the 2.5Kw a piece I seem to peak out at. I had a few 5.5kw total but often I have more solar and there are times when it’s throwing power to the grid because the powerwalls seem to be at their max charge rate.
Shall see next week. I will keep calling daily for when they can officially answer what is going on. In the mean time, anyone getting stuff installed should make sure 8 gauge wire is being used!!

Reactions: Kodemonkey
I believe the 2.1's have been around for awhile. I have 2 from a November 2019 install.

For me this is an interesting development.
My Whole Home backup with 2 Powerwalls was installed last June. They installed a SureStart on my air conditioning compressor (actually a heat pump) but it wasn't compatible and caused all sorts of problems so they had to remove it. Turns out they pulled the wrong version of my heat pump outside unit specification. The compressor only starts when the solar is producing. Otherwise, the Powerwall circuit shuts down for several seconds and then resets; and sends my HVAC system into tilt mode. When the compressor tries to start the cycle starts over if the solar panels aren't producing.
I've been working with Tesla Executive Resolutions since July to try to get this resolved. Its been very frustrating since I'm continuously told that a plan to resolve this is always a week or two away. They won't disclose to me what things they are considering, only that they'll provide a proposed solution once it has been reviewed and approved by Tesla management.
I wonder if this announcement plays into their proposed resolution.

• Informative
Reactions: h2ofun and Vines
So again, I an just asking what is going on. Are all 2.1 units going to be able to get the update and go to 7.5kw output? Or are only newer, certain 2.1's? If so, how are they labeled difference? Etc.
I believe Elon said it will have to do with install date, which makes sense. The date they changed installation instructions to wire for more power output. Sounds like we'll find out next week (maybe) what date that is.

i don't know how tesla will handle the rollout of this increase. even independent installers are suppose to submit their designs to tesla for approval. so seems like tesla will need to review the designs again and program them for what is allowable. people with 30 amp breakers may get 20% increase and those with 40 will more then likely get the full increase as they already accounted for this.
now if someone is will to pay for new engineering/permits, replace wiring and breakers, and possibly new circuit panels then you to should be able to get the max allowed.

Last edited:
Your Powerwalls should be able to charge above 2.5 kW. Mine regularly charge at 3.3 kW each when Storm Watch is activated and can charge at even higher rates via solar.

Your Powerwalls should be able to charge above 2.5 kW. Mine regularly charge at 3.3 kW each when Storm Watch is activated and can charge at even higher rates via solar.
Yeah - it should top out at 5 kW normally, with 3.3 kW seeming to be the software-imposed limit for Storm Watch. It is possible that the mode the system is in (backup-only/self-powered/balanced/cost saving) could have to do with the system deciding to export some of the solar to the grid instead of storing it all up to the max rate.

Yeah - it should top out at 5 kW normally, with 3.3 kW seeming to be the software-imposed limit for Storm Watch. It is possible that the mode the system is in (backup-only/self-powered/balanced/cost saving) could have to do with the system deciding to export some of the solar to the grid instead of storing it all up to the max rate.
Trust me. They didn’t know. You called Tesla powerwall support and they had just learned this.
I wonder how those other installers knew, meaning, who puts in larger stuff for nothing

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun