Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Warranties are starting to end. Everyone ready for repair costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has everyone started thinking about repair costs of their Model 3's?

What an excellent and durable car, however its "still" and expensive puppy to purchase AND repair.

2 weeks ago - passenger headlight went out - Tesla estimate $1100.

1 week ago my car will only charge at 32A AC ( not 48A ) (DC supercharging is just fine ). Price estimate $1700.

1. I purchased a headlight ballast off ebay $46.
2. Watched a guy replace his on youtube
3. My headlight now works.

I'm leaving the AC charging broken for now.

If you have already contemplated these expensive repairs.....great.

If you haven't - I hope this is a reminder that it might be coming.

Prayerfully not.....but.....you never know.

Note: A burned out headlight / ballast that can't signal causes autopilot to stop working when changing lanes in the direction of that broken headlight. If your turn signal won't work...Autopilot won't change lanes in that direction.....no errors - it just won't do it.

Last edited:

What an excellent and durable car, however its "still" and expensive puppy to purchase AND repair.

1 week ago my car will only charge at 32A AC ( not 48A ) (DC supercharging is just fine ). Price estimate $1700.

Note: A burned out headlight / ballast that can't signal causes autopilot to stop working when changing lanes in the direction of that broken headlight. If your turn signal won't work...Autopilot won't change lanes in that direction.....no errors - it just won't do it.
Is this for a model 3?

Is this for a model 3?

yep.

light.jpg

Last edited:
If I need service, (knocks on wood) , I will make a spreadsheet and calculate how much I’ve saved so far on oil changes and fuel, spark plugs, transmission fluid, emissions testing (well that’s down the road), time spent at gas stations, time spent getting all this done, and add 25% for the aggravation of having to drive myself to work. Hopefully this will result in an attitude adjustment. If not, I’ll take it out on the service advisor.

You’ve been a member since Thursday, have almost 70,000 miles on your car, and have all of the sudden posted many threads in other topics nearly asking everyone to get up and fight against Tesla.
What’s motivating you to do this all of the sudden ?
Why haven’t you been on this forum until now. ?
I’m just curious what incident drove you to this ?
Must have been very very horrific.

Be glad you don’t own a BMW. Headlights are $1,500 plus labor. The day my wife’s car’s warranty expired, it was at the dealer getting warranty. They didn’t clean the sunroof drains so water built up and collected in the electronics well in the back. Over $3,500 in repairs to the Bluetooth module, radio and so on.

• Informative
Reactions: ATT89
I had a Roadster out of warranty for 4 years, and an S out of warranty for 3 years. There were a few issues, but in both cases the cost was less than buying Tesla's extended warranty.

Of course not everyone's experience is the same, but on average the out-of-warranty repair bills are obviously not more than the extended warranty cost, or else Tesla would raise the price of the extended warranty.

There are plenty of ways to avoid the worry. Invest the warranty money and use it to pay bills, or compare to other operating costs you've saved as Puddles suggests, or lease as SlimJim suggests, or buy an extended warranty, or sell the car before the warranty ends. But personally, I see no reason to worry about a Tesla out of warranty any more than any competing brand.

You’ve been a member since Thursday, have almost 70,000 miles on your car, and have all of the sudden posted many threads in other topics nearly asking everyone to get up and fight against Tesla.
I’m just curious what incident drove you to this ?
Must have been very very horrific.

I'm never discussing myself nor anyone else. People can insult me and do whatever to me...fine.

If you want to talk about a subject - fine.

If I need service, (knocks on wood) , I will make a spreadsheet and calculate how much I’ve saved so far on oil changes and fuel, spark plugs, transmission fluid, emissions testing (well that’s down the road), time spent at gas stations, time spent getting all this done, and add 25% for the aggravation of having to drive myself to work. Hopefully this will result in an attitude adjustment. If not, I’ll take it out on the service advisor.
This is a great way to look at it and I agree. I own/have owned many vehicles including exotics. If I can go a few years and ~100K+ miles with nothing but rubber (wipers & tires) and then need a major repair - I'll chalk it up to the $ saved not driving an ICE-car.

My Teslas are my daily duty machines and overall ownership cost is less than throwing ~20K miles per year on an equivalent ICE car.

Some people have purchased the X-Care extended warranty. I seem to recall a quote of around $3,500 for 4 years of coverage. Time will tell whether that is a wise investment. I’m reluctant to buy an extended warranty because with COVID I’m barely driving the car. If that changes I will reconsider.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic

It's a mult for GarlanGarner to get around having been banned.... mods have since banned his new account too.

Some people have purchased the X-Care extended warranty. I seem to recall a quote of around $3,500 for 4 years of coverage. .

Yup... you can also get $100 off using code MJC4JI9375

Time will tell whether that is a wise investment. I’m reluctant to buy an extended warranty because with COVID I’m barely driving the car. If that changes I will reconsider

Thing is- not driving doesn't slow down the 4 year clock on the bumper to bumper... some folks are now less than a year away from hitting that on the earliest Model 3s.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW and MP3Mike