Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience driving Tesla alongside other road users

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in these kinds of discussions before ... the common thought is that the other drivers are challenging what they perceive to be a slower/inferior car. That's probably most often the case, but there are also a lot of people who want to see fast cars go fast. Or "play a little" with another driver when the conditions are suitable.

Years ago I was in my S2000 on a big empty road and a BMW came on the onramp. We both punched it and roared along together a few miles before a Subie joined in and then the three of us zoomed along for several more miles. As each of them took their exits we all waved and smiled at each other.

The joy of driving doesn't have to be competitive across brands.

As I have gotten older I've realised that the 'system' wants to make me work towards bigger and better and take my sometimes hard earned money. Eventually I worked it out so now I don't care about a badge, how fast I can go or most stuff like that. I still like to have fun but road games isn't one of them. If someone wants to prove they have the goods then go ahead but do it safely.
Generally young males full of it are the ones that are risking futures.
My 2c is don't play.

Having one of the first Model S in Australia, we have experienced the complete gamut of reactions to the car.
Early on in the cars life, I had one car enthusiast, annoyed that I owned a car that he had never heard of before. The conversation went something like, “ Is that a Jaguar “ - “No it’s a Tesla” - “ Who makes a Tesla” - “Tesla makes a Tesla”. “No, who owns Tesla?” - “Tesla is a Startup Electric Vehicle company, it’s not owned by any other Automaker“ - “Electric; you mean it’s a Hybrid” - “No, battery electric no engine at all” - “Wha—-????”
That conversation was early 2015, and we spent the next 4-5 years explaining what a Tesla and or an electric car was.
That all changed in 2019 when Model 3 arrived and now few people need explanation of what a Tesla is but they occasionally still want to know if electric cars actually work.
In the early days when all Tesla drag racing videos were popping up on YouTube I had a few revheads wanting to race and I think I was able to scare a few despite having the base model S. That only lasted a year or so as probably too many lost to a Tesla.
Now you just get people sometimes staring, sometimes telling you, “electric vehicles are the future “ and I find it hard not to say, “No electric cars are now”. Haven’t had any Hyundais wanting to race but it might be because they don’t want to take on a Model S.

Last edited:
I think there’s two elements at play here. Paranoia when driving a new car that everyone is about to crash into you, and particularly in the early days of Tesla, people wanting to have a look at something new. I think particularly for “car people”, seeing something new is always interesting. I had a Mustang Mach-e parked behind me the first weekend I had the 3, and took a photo of it (even though I think they’re awful), turned out to be the car that Daniel Ricciardo was doing laps in at the F1 and is in all the press photos.
I had a new MINI Cooper S in 2004, when they were relatively new, and used to ALWAYS have people coming up to ask me about it, to the point where it got annoying. Great car though :)

Reactions: fholbert
That conversation was early 2015, and we spent the next 4-5 years explaining what a Tesla and or an electric car was. That all changed in 2019 when Model 3 arrived and now few people need explanation of what a Tesla is

When I picked my Model 3 up in Dec 2019 they were still very rare. On first night of ownership another Model 3 happened to pull up at the lights next to us and we wound the windows down and effused how amazing a vehicle they are before speeding off.

Kids in the local area would stop and excitedly call out to their parents ”There’s a Tesla!!!” and cruising down local streets heads would almost always turn. I even occasionally got a Tesla wave from another Tesla driver.

But now Teslas are so damned common there is no head-turning, no calling out, not even any waves anymore from other Tesla drivers (well, one exception in the past 12 months). We’ve given up counting EVs on drives. Tesla Model 3 is the new Toyota Camry, and no-one cares anymore 🤣

Occasionally I sense other drivers at lights are keen to drag me off but I consider it too unsafe in most urban situations so don’t rise to the bait. Only a few nights ago someone in a noisy dual-exhaust something-or-other went past me on the City West Link and deliberately swerved towards me as they passed and went very close. I‘m like, WTF.

Reactions: moa999 and Gayle S
I've only had my Model 3 LR for a few weeks, but I had some interesting reactions.
1. We have a distant family member wrapped up in conspiracies. She thinks we are mind controlled.
2. Similar thing from co-worker who thinks EVs are worse for the environment than ICEs
3. weird event with a Subaru that was slowing way down in front of me and then speeding up as I went to overtake. I just stayed in my own lane and let him be.
4. Commodore really wanted to race. We entered a roundabout just before a 60-100km section. I could hear his engine scream, so I just pulled away. Was first time I'd put my foot down. Was fun.

I'd like to have a few 'from a roll' against myself - if that makes sense - just to see where it stands from different speeds/conditions against my other cars..

I think my LR would probably 50-100 faster than the other cars in the fleet, but over a full 1/4 - or on the highway (private road of course) it might lose out past 120.