Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience of Inspecting MY at Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Among those that have already taken ownership of an MY, did anyone experience a hard time trying to take your time inspecting the car? I'm expecting to take delivery this coming week and am wondering if I'll be allowed to take my time or if I should expect to be rushed and/or given a certain amount of time. Thanks!

Reactions: parfl74
I took delivery this afternoon in Burbank. We spent over two hours to document all the things we found wrong with the car. Ultimately, problems found did not rise to the level of rejecting the car. We were now rushed by the Tesla representatives and took the time to help us properly document all that we found.
IMG_4525.jpg

I took delivery this afternoon in Burbank. We spent over two hours to document all the things we found wrong with the car. Ultimately, problems found did not rise to the level of rejecting the car. We were now rushed by the Tesla representatives and took the time to help us properly document all that we found. View attachment 554707
That's good to hear Burbank didn't rush you, I am taking delivery there on Tuesday. Did you just schedule a follow-up service appointment to address those issues? Also I saw an email that said when you arrive you have to select accept delivery in the app in order to find your car, but I was hoping I could see the car before I accepted delivery?

I took delivery this afternoon in Burbank. We spent over two hours to document all the things we found wrong with the car. Ultimately, problems found did not rise to the level of rejecting the car. We were now rushed by the Tesla representatives and took the time to help us properly document all that we found. View attachment 554707

I'll be taking delivery in West LA and am hoping for a similarly positive experience. Would you mind sharing some of the issues you identified?

That's good to hear Burbank didn't rush you, I am taking delivery there on Tuesday. Did you just schedule a follow-up service appointment to address those issues? Also I saw an email that said when you arrive you have to select accept delivery in the app in order to find your car, but I was hoping I could see the car before I accepted delivery?

Yes, I scheduled a follow-up service appointment on the Telsa app. I would do this before you leave the dealership to get the best time. We waited until we were home so that we could upload all the problem photos taken. We had over 40 photos. By the time, we uploaded the photos and tried to schedule the appointment via Tesla app, the soonest appointment available was in a week. Had we uploaded all the photos before leaving the dealership, we might have captured an appointment for this week..

Yes, you have to accept delivery on your app in order to find and unlock your car. However, you can still reject the car. Final paperwork is in the car for you to complete and return. If you don't want to accept delivery, you would not complete the paperwork and advise a representative. Tesla will remove the VIN off your account. In addition, I was able to withhold final payment until I knew for sure that I was going to accept the vehicle. However, they did warn that they don't know when they would be able to get another Y assigned if I refused teh vehicle..

Reactions: prolivara
I'll be taking delivery in West LA and am hoping for a similarly positive experience. Would you mind sharing some of the issues you identified?

Here are the issues we identified:

Exterior:
1. Minor paint scrapes or missing paint under the frunk, quarterpanels, and door sills.
2. Rear trunk is misaligned.
3. Black trim gaps on the lower rear bumper
4. Glue needing removal from door ledges
5. Protective shipping tape that needs to be removed from under the rear quarter panel. (I was unable to remove on my own)
6. Scratches on the lower matte portion of rear bumper
7. Window trim is uneven

Interior:
1. Rear passenger seat does not fall forward with rear trunk release button.
2. Grease finger prints found on crown ceiling liner
3. Rear trunk floor panel is not flush against another floor panel
4. Glue needs removal from crown ceiling liner

Date assembled: 06/2020

Reactions: prolivara
Here are the issues we identified:

Exterior:
1. Minor paint scrapes or missing paint under the frunk, quarterpanels, and door sills.
2. Rear trunk is misaligned.
3. Black trim gaps on the lower rear bumper
4. Glue needing removal from door ledges
5. Protective shipping tape that needs to be removed from under the rear quarter panel. (I was unable to remove on my own)
6. Scratches on the lower matte portion of rear bumper
7. Window trim is uneven

Interior:
1. Rear passenger seat does not fall forward with rear trunk release button.
2. Grease finger prints found on crown ceiling liner
3. Rear trunk floor panel is not flush against another floor panel
4. Glue needs removal from crown ceiling liner

Date assembled: 06/2020

What was the VIN range? 12xxx ? higher? Lower? I feel like the seat folding and trim issues were heavily reported in VINs lower than 12xxx. With them producing (by soome counts 2000 cars per week by other 3000 cars per week) June assembly could mean the difference between VINs being 10xxx and 20xxx

Can see some minor orange peel in the paint, how bad is it up close?

That's garbage, you can easily find your car by just checking the VIN through the window, I don't take delivery of my car until Tomorrow but already took a look at it on Saturday. I'm guessing the "activate it in your phone to reveal it" is part of the "touchless experience".

What was the VIN range? 12xxx ? higher? Lower? I feel like the seat folding and trim issues were heavily reported in VINs lower than 12xxx. With them producing (by soome counts 2000 cars per week by other 3000 cars per week) June assembly could mean the difference between VINs being 10xxx and 20xxx

VIN Range is not indicative of build date, I saw two cars both built on 6/15/2020 and they had VIN 14XXX and 17XXX respectively, exact same specs (which is probably why they were built on the same day). They batch vehicles of similar build specs and build them together.

That's garbage, you can easily find your car by just checking the VIN through the window, I don't take delivery of my car until Tomorrow but already took a look at it on Saturday. I'm guessing the "activate it in your phone to reveal it" is part of the "touchless experience".
Ya I figured I could find it looking at VIN's but then the email said the car would be locked and this would be the only way to unlock it to access your keys inside. I'm assuming I can just find someone to help me unlock it or as @ricebom mentioned just don't sign the papers.

Our MY VIN is 17XXX.

In detail, the passenger side rear seat is slow to release and falls forward when it is set in the upright position. However, the seat will not fall forward when it is reclined. You can hear the release mechanism trying to release the seat, but nothing happens in the reclined position. The driver side rear seat drops as soon as you pull the lever without issue either in the upright or reclined position. Therefore, I would test the seat release buttons in both positions. Hope this helps.