Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences with demo car quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the car I'd hoped for (new LR RWD in white), but the catch is that it was apparently a demo/service car with 880 miles. It has a healthy discount. My question is to those with experience receiving these cars (I.e. got at least to the point of delivery): have you had issues you believe were attributable to its “former life”? The vast majority of people seem content with their purchase.

I realize there are other threads on this subject but many are old and/or don’t quite address the question directly. Many seem to be people contemplating whether the discount offered is enough.

I am sure it will vary by car. But I once leased a demo car that was a year old with 14k miles. I put another 35k miles on it, and it was awesome for the 2 years that I owned it.

The only downside I can recall is that it came with quite a few paint chips on the hood.

I found the car I'd hoped for (new LR RWD in white), but the catch is that it was apparently a demo/service car with 880 miles. It has a healthy discount. My question is to those with experience receiving these cars (I.e. got at least to the point of delivery): have you had issues you believe were attributable to its “former life”? The vast majority of people seem content with their purchase.

I realize there are other threads on this subject but many are old and/or don’t quite address the question directly. Many seem to be people contemplating whether the discount offered is enough.

It couldn't have just been a demo since they haven't sold those in a while and the mileage is too low for significant service loaner duty. It's likely a buyback or a return and it's probably been sitting around waiting for repairs or such. If properly discounted, and assuming Tesla still does that, see if you can take it on loan for a day and test it very thoroughly. You don't want to buy someone else's old problems.

On the other hand, LR RWD is, at least i.m.o., the most enjoyable Model 3 flavor.

Reactions: Watts_Up and VT_EE
It couldn't have just been a demo since they haven't sold those in a while and the mileage is too low for significant service loaner duty. It's likely a buyback or a return and it's probably been sitting around waiting for repairs or such. If properly discounted, and assuming Tesla still does that, see if you can take it on loan for a day and test it very thoroughly. You don't want to buy someone else's old problems.

On the other hand, LR RWD is, at least i.m.o., the most enjoyable Model 3 flavor.

It’s being sold as new though so I don’t think it could be anything but a service loaner or demo. I agree though - it doesn’t make sense that it’s just hitting the market now. My only guess is that it was sitting around somewhere for some unknown reason and is just now getting to the market due to the end of quarter inventory reduction push. It was apparently in the Portland area.

Yes, demo pearl white 3 LR AWD EAP over here, have had it since December 2018, no issues after an additional 16k miles. Be sure to do a thorough walkthrough in good lighting before accepting delivery. All 4 of my rims were curbed, Tesla replaced all of them, though it took a few weeks. Also was missing the second key card which mobile service replaced within days. A few additional minor issues I didn't care enough about (paint, stitching on steering wheel).

Positive it was a demo and not a return since the navi had "Redondo Beach" and other random locations in its history for the two months prior to my getting it. (Tesla sales folk use distant locations to show off the Supercharger network...)

That said, it also has a healthy amount of panel gaps. Luckily I wasn't aware panel gaps were even a thing to look for at the time of delivery and ergo did not have to lose my $%^& and reject it :D

BTW I see your location says PNW, where are you planning on taking delivery?

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
I got a Used 18" LR RWD with 4100 mi about a month ago. I know it wasn't a demo but it had similar mileage to some of the demo cars i've seen so I'll share my experience if it helps.

When I picked it up, it was detailed and looked brand new to me inside and out. Over the next couple of weeks I noticed a couple of wider panel gaps and trim misalignments that I got semi-fixed at a SC but that's Tesla. I've noticed some swirling in the paint and on the chrome door handles but honestly unless you are an obsessive person who would've covered every inch of your car with PPF on day 1, they shouldn't bother you at all. Wear and tear-wise I haven't had any major issues and for me it feels like a brand new car.

To me, it was overwhelmingly worth the healthy discount I got vs. buying brand new

In March I bought a pearl white AWD w 19s. It was a return with 770 miles. I received a nice discount and was still able to title the car as new - keeping the tax credit. A few minor flaws, the most significant of which was a curbed wheel. Tesla fixed the wheel. There was also a poorly done PDR on the hood that I decided not to re-repair (it was 2 weeks before I discovered). No problems in 6,000 miles.

Yes, it's listed as included.

Just make sure it shows up on the MVPA, and when you go to pick up the car try it out to confirm it’s really there. Tesla often gets confused with their own cars in keeping track of which ones were built with or without AP and there was a period in April where they were showing cars as having AP when they really did not.

Tesla normally discounts demo models at .72/mile so your discount is better than the standard discount. And, you can’t order the LR RWD model at this point but it’s a great model. So I think you have a good deal!

Just make sure it shows up on the MVPA, and when you go to pick up the car try it out to confirm it’s really there. Tesla often gets confused with their own cars in keeping track of which ones were built with or without AP and there was a period in April where they were showing cars as having AP when they really did not.

Tesla normally discounts demo models at .72/mile so your discount is better than the standard discount. And, you can’t order the LR RWD model at this point but it’s a great model. So I think you have a good deal!

Got it. Thanks for the input!

And thanks to everyone else as well. It's helpful.