Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exporting at 15p - Help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it may be time for more people to email Greg Jackson ( [email protected] ) to ask about the possibility of integrating the Powerwalls into IO. That would be perfect (and probably help grid balancing even more)…
I did that about a year ago and the answer was that no integration was being planned but then they also said they couldn’t give Outgoing tariffs to IO clients and they changed their mind about that…
Octopus seem to have a GivEnergy love affair going on and with Tesla entering the UK energy market I can see Octopus preferring a powerwall alternative to counter Tesla tempting all powerwall customers over with various VPP offers

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
There has been a lot of comparisons between PW and Give Energy. I have had 1 PW for 3 years and added a second one a couple of months ago. Throughout September I have been running off Grid for all but an hour about 6pm when I discharge 25% to benefit from the good export rate. On all but 3 days I have managed to export. Now I am changing from Flux to IO I will charge through the night and move off grid for the day, exporting any residual at 11pm. I am now calculating whether installing a third PW, which would assist me to use all sunlight year round, is viable?
How the PWs adapt to changing patterns is nothing short of remarkable.

Octopus seem to have a GivEnergy love affair going on and with Tesla entering the UK energy market I can see Octopus preferring a powerwall alternative to counter Tesla tempting all powerwall customers over with various VPP offers
Octopus are GivEnergy exclusively for their solar installs.

They seem to have managed to hit a sweet spot for smart enough, full control, reasonably priced.

FWIW, I'm charging to 100% during IO spots, and then excess solar the next day can export if there is any. It's a lot less hassle than trying to predict power the next day, etc, and it's paying well. I could make a little extra dumping excess at the end of the day, but it wouldn't be more than 2-3kWh, and it's probably not worth it by the time we have inverter inefficiencies and battery cycles.
If I'm genuinely doing good for the grid and I'm not losing out (Power hours, etc) then I'll consider forced export

Reactions: ACarneiro and phil4
There has been a lot of comparisons between PW and Give Energy. I have had 1 PW for 3 years and added a second one a couple of months ago. Throughout September I have been running off Grid for all but an hour about 6pm when I discharge 25% to benefit from the good export rate. On all but 3 days I have managed to export. Now I am changing from Flux to IO I will charge through the night and move off grid for the day, exporting any residual at 11pm. I am now calculating whether installing a third PW, which would assist me to use all sunlight year round, is viable?
How the PWs adapt to changing patterns is nothing short of remarkable.
I'm similar to you, in have 2 powerwalls and recently switched back to IO from Flux a few days ago.

How do you export at 11pm, does the powerwalls work this out itself, or do you force export somehow?

My powerwalls will export to grid, got that sorted when I moved to Flux, which they did automatically at 4pm.

I'm similar to you, in have 2 powerwalls and recently switched back to IO from Flux a few days ago.

How do you export at 11pm, does the powerwalls work this out itself, or do you force export somehow?

My powerwalls will export to grid, got that sorted when I moved to Flux, which they did automatically at 4pm.
How did you manage the change? As I am on Flux Import /Export, I was informed I must change to Outgoing first and then to O!. When I try to do that a form comes up asking me to verify with an MCS cert etc. They already have this as I was on TEP and then Flux export. Is there someone who can do it over the phone?

Octopus has been having ‘backend’ problems with switches from Flux to IO. When I called them last week, they moved my Flux export to Outgoing Fixed. When I did an IO test charge, the IO import tariff was showing against the Export MPAN: that is, I ended up with 2 import tariffs. The short-term fix that the back room came up with was to switch to Flexible import and Outgoing Fixed export. Once this was set up, I could do another test charge and move to IO.

IO and Fixed Export is resulting in some strange PW2 behaviour. The higher export price seems to confuse the algorithm. I may have to fudge the export price. The simplest way to prevent PW2 discharge when EV charging is to crank up the BackUp reserve to 2% beflow the SoC at bedtime and then crank it down to 20% on waking. I am sure that this could be automated but we 70+ year olds like to keep it simple.

Octopus has been having ‘backend’ problems with switches from Flux to IO. When I called them last week, they moved my Flux export to Outgoing Fixed. When I did an IO test charge, the IO import tariff was showing against the Export MPAN: that is, I ended up with 2 import tariffs. The short-term fix that the back room came up with was to switch to Flexible import and Outgoing Fixed export. Once this was set up, I could do another test charge and move to IO.

IO and Fixed Export is resulting in some strange PW2 behaviour. The higher export price seems to confuse the algorithm. I may have to fudge the export price. The simplest way to prevent PW2 discharge when EV charging is to crank up the BackUp reserve to 2% beflow the SoC at bedtime and then crank it down to 20% on waking. I am sure that this could be automated but we 70+ year olds like to keep it simple.
My problem is I am unable to find anyone in octopus to do me a swift change as I am moving from Flux..
Eventually had to do a manual application this morning - God knows how long that may take.
2 of the guys I spoke to said ''it was impossible to have 15p Outgoing fixed with IO as it would make it possible to buy at 7.5p and sell at 15p which was clearly morally and commercially wrong?''
I told them both to check with their supervisors and change over teams.

Exactly the same happened to me when I switched last week switching from Flux to IO - I got IO on the export, resulting in 2 import tariffs. After a few emails back and forth, I ended up going through the web application process again, and the change happened the following day.

How did you manage the change? As I am on Flux Import /Export, I was informed I must change to Outgoing first and then to O!. When I try to do that a form comes up asking me to verify with an MCS cert etc. They already have this as I was on TEP and then Flux export. Is there someone who can do it over the phone?
With determined perseverance. I tried 3 times emailing Tesla on [email protected] and went through various instances of sending DNO proof of export limit, until the 3rd attempt I got someone who said, 'That's done for you now, should be active in a few days'. Sure enough it appeared shortly afterward and now both powerwalls export at 7.5kW combined. This made Flux worthwhile in the summer. Now I want to keep the powerwalls for the evening use, but would like to force discharge anything remaining before recharging again at 11.30pm.

Reactions: PITA
I'm looking at putting in a new 4.5 kW array early next year on a seperate Phase... Purely to export.
My only thought... when you do this, is make sure you can pivot when needed.

We all bought Zappis/Eddis to charge on sunshine, then we geared up for Flux and it's more complex scheduling... and now we're dumping all the sun (and more) to the grid instead. All in the space of a year. I'm not for one second saying this rate is a blip, and will be gone again come spring. More that if you're able to pivot, then take that option, and wire it up so you can if you want.

Reactions: ACarneiro and PITA
My only thought... when you do this, is make sure you can pivot when needed.

We all bought Zappis/Eddis to charge on sunshine, then we geared up for Flux and it's more complex scheduling... and now we're dumping all the sun (and more) to the grid instead. All in the space of a year. I'm not for one second saying this rate is a blip, and will be gone again come spring. More that if you're able to pivot, then take that option, and wire it up so you can if you want.

Yep, we literally have a seperate Zappi on all three phases. Each Zappi is phase rotated on its own primary phase.

So on any phase I can potentially export at up to 7kW 32amps to charge a car. That'll be sorted.

Reactions: phil4