Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord? Probably been asked before

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not that anyone should do the following, but this is the solution I have ended up using at AirBNBs for the past couple of years now since charging at 120 volts / 12 amps is too slow most of the time and lugging a NEMA 14-50 extension cord is a huge burden due to the weight.

I purchased a 75 foot 10 gauge extension cord from Amazon which was good for 120v/15amp due to the connector being a NEMA 5-15. I promptly cut off the plugs and replaced them with NEMA 6-20s (240v/20amp) which the 10 gauge is easily capable of handling. That bumped my potential wattage through the extension cord from 1,440 watts to 3,600. Now...6-20 receptacles are obviously not common except in hotel rooms (for the A/C/heater), so I made a wide selection of adapters to get from whatever outlet I might find to a 14-50 receptacle. I then use a 14-50 to 6-20 adapter if I need to use the extension cord to get to the car, and then a 6-20 to 14-50 adapter before plugging in the Tesla charger and dialing in the maximum amps that the outlet or extension cord is capable of delivering so nothing gets overloaded.

So instead of charging at 3 MPH, I can now almost always charge at 10-11 MPH which I find is sufficient 95% of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
My friend c. Cottage Has a 14-30 dryer outlet in the house
Could I safely use this adapter from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Cable...qid=1518193576&sr=8-15&keywords=14-30+adapter with the 25 ft 10/3 extension cable also from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00004SQF1/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20 and then plug my UMC to that?
No one has even mentioned specifically why that won't work yet. It's not even the same kind of plug.
NEMA connector - Wikipedia
The dryer outlet is a 14-30. That first adapter cable from Amazon you linked to is for a TT-30 outlet, not a 14-30, so it can't even plug in there. TT-30 is for travel trailers at camp sites. You really just need a 14-30 extension.

No one has even mentioned specifically why that won't work yet. It's not even the same kind of plug.
NEMA connector - Wikipedia
The dryer outlet is a 14-30. That first adapter cable from Amazon you linked to is for a TT-30 outlet, not a 14-30, so it can't even plug in there. TT-30 is for travel trailers at camp sites. You really just need a 14-30 extension.
Yup, the extension above I posted should work great .

Keith can you provide a picture of the 15 30 plug/outlet your friend has that you want to plug into. You would think it’s fairly simple but there are various configurations depending on the wiring to the 15 30 plug/ outlet. Can it be a 14/30 or something else? Then you can purchase the extension cord that will be suitable for 30 amps. The longer the cord, the more resistance which requires a larger gauge extension cord. What are you using at home for daily charging? Do you have a Tesla charger?

Last edited:
At home I have the Tesla Wall Charger charging at 48amps.. Unfortunately I can not get a picture of the dryer outlet at my friends cottage as I have not been there yet but I believe it looks like this one below
p_1000113605.jpg

At home I have the Tesla Wall Charger charging at 48amps.. Unfortunately I can not get a picture of the dryer outlet at my friends cottage as I have not been there yet but I believe it looks like this one belowView attachment 281491
That’s a NEMA 14-30 outlet. As I posted above, those extension cords are very expensive. Isn’t there a J1772 charging station anywhere in town? That plus 4 mph charging overnight with the 120V outlet in the garage may be your best option.

At home I have the Tesla Wall Charger charging at 48amps.. Unfortunately I can not get a picture of the dryer outlet at my friends cottage as I have not been there yet but I believe it looks like this one belowView attachment 281491
Thanks for including the picture. Thats why I was asking for one because they are similar but actually different. The extension cords for those are expensive. Research the Tesla forum, which is different than this site. Lots of information on adaptors. You may just have to use a heavy duty extension cord into a 120 outlet. They have worked for me when I had nothing else I could use over a weekend in the middle of nowhere. Good luck.

At home I have the Tesla Wall Charger charging at 48amps.. Unfortunately I can not get a picture of the dryer outlet at my friends cottage as I have not been there yet but I believe it looks like this one below

The easiest thing to do is to buy a NEMA 14-50 extension cord (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extension-PowerGrip-Convenient-Carrying/dp/B0024ECIP0), and a 14-30 to 14-50 adapter (NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P Universal Adapter). You’ll then have to manually dial down the amperage to 24A when charging.

Reactions: KArnold