Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior Color Shift using a Tinted Film or Wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions for the forum...

Having difficulty deciding on color -- love the depth and shine of the multi-coat red, but it's a little too flamboyant for my personality. Second option is Gray, which is really classy, but a bit too understated for a car that's this nice. (Signature Red would have been perfect for me, oh well!)

Since I would XPEL the car anyway, I started thinking about a vinyl wrap to combine my two favorite colors -- please let me know, is this Tacky or Worth Considering?

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 9.36.42 PM.png

Then I thought -- what if XPEL film came with a 15 to 30% tint -- could I just apply it over Red and tone the whole thing down a bit?

Anybody opinions on whether this second idea is possible and/or worth considering?

Thanks!

Ed

IMO, all the renderings so far make the car look dirty. The non-red portions are where dust and dirt accumulate. Maybe you should try inverting the colors? (Red on bottom/back, grey on top/front)

In any case, I've never seen a film that did this. Does such a thing actually exist?

@customs
I meant front to back (like your original rendering) just with the rear color "finishing" earlier. That said, these are neat too. Thanks for sharing!

@Gizmotoy
I don't think the red top white bottom makes the car look dirty. In fact, the silver trim near the battery pan vanishes nicely in the 2nd picture of post #5.

@customs
I meant front to back (like your original rendering) just with the rear color "finishing" earlier. That said, these are neat too. Thanks for sharing!

@Gizmotoy
I don't think the red top white bottom makes the car look dirty. In fact, the silver trim near the battery pan vanishes nicely in the 2nd picture of post #5.

I suppose it probably depends where you're from. My previous red cars have always looked exactly like that red/white picture when dirty in the winter (coated in salt). (See: Dirty Model S thread - Pics: Dirty Model S - Page 3)

In any case, I've never seen a film that did this. Does such a thing actually exist?

From the research I've done on Vinyl Wrap, you can print anything on it, including gradations of transparency. So I was thinking you could clear XPEL the hood, then use a vinyl wrap that's printed "clear" at the front of the car, transitioning to solid gray at the rear/bottom of the car.

My second thought was to use a "tinted XPEL" (if such a thing exists) over an entire red car to tone it down a bit from "fire engine red".

My latest thought is whether classy red pinstripes on a gray exterior would add a little sparkle; I did a quick rendering of this idea below, but the curved line doesn't look quite right to me... open to ideas!

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 11.19.01 PM.png

Ed

- - - Updated - - -

@customs

Here go, it's interesting to say the least!

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 10.44.45 PM.png

Ed