Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eye-Catching Matte Black Tesla Model 3 Goes Out In The Wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's statement makes me think he doesn't know much about mass-producing matte paint vehicles. It's a very time-consuming painting process and the care required to maintain the paint is significant. I own a factory painted matte vehicle. I had to sign a disclaimer outlining all the special care required before I could order the paint. No waxes of any type, no shine or silicone chemicals, no car washes, special cleaning materials, the list goes on. It's so far from a mass production option. You'd think they'd learn from past mistakes (cough falcon wing doors cough) not to give themselves problems that they can avoid. I guarantee you the first soccer mom that runs a matte-painted model 3 through the car wash will be very unhappy.

• Informative
Reactions: SuperOmega
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I prefer the high gloss finishes with chrome accents on the Teslas.
Tesla spends so much time on painting and finishing, they are meant to stand out on their own. Not masked with a gimmicky paint jobs that looks like the corner shop just wrapped the car
Not a fan of the matte paint either. Like ecarfan said, it's like looking at an unfinished primer coat.

Last edited:
I think I will stick with the tri-coat white one. I have owned a black Ford Escape and a black Ford Fusion more recently. It literally showed every single blemish you could think of from scratches(lots of road construction here), door dings(dumb people), paint blemishes, and so on. They were also insanely hot during the summer as it would feel like sitting in a furnace until the a/c did its job.