Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eye strain in Y, horrible glare front windshield at night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Classic Tesla blow off move.

And when I mention things like this in forums people jump on me and say crap like “that’s just the way it is” or “it’s just like any other vehicle, fix the problem”

No this isn’t a Saturn or a daewoo... or is it?

70k dollar cars and I know people had this issue on the S and the X models. So over 100k and Tesla doesn’t care?

because people allow them not to care

the tech is amazing the car drives amazing but the rest is pure junk. Like having a blind man put together my ikea kitchen cabinets.

Reactions: glide
I'm sure it's a easy fix, just drop it off at SC, let them see it, I had a Audi, windshield was like that, just real bad, took over a month to replace it, but still was able to drive the car, since you buy a car so often just drive it a year, get a new car.

Cancelled the order before I took delivery. Not going to spend 70k on a car that’s built by Helen Keller

OP got a little mad. just think of Hubble, with a bad mirror, no one panic, or went nuts, they sat down came up with a fix, and just look at all great work it, the science, and the pictures, that the whole world got to see and use for all those years, OP gave up a fun car with all the tech, for a windshield that could be fixed in a day or 2, What a kill joy he is, I bet that if you gave him $100 dollar bills, he would bitch they were wrinkled.

Classic Tesla blow off move.
Yeah, they've always done this. Many 2012/2013s made this horrible drivetrain noise when they aged. Another forum member and I were in for the same issue at the same SC with the same advisor. Both of us got the "oh wow, never seen that before!" schtick. MCU flash issues affect literally every old Model S. When it failed, "Well, there's no clear cause but maybe we replace this specific card and it'll work?"

You're always the only person in history to ever have whatever issue it is you're having.

• Informative
Reactions: Tcobshea
There have been a few posts about this issue. It always seemed to be a film on the windshield that did not clean off easily. Most reported they used detail clay or agressive cleaning and the problem went away.

Often, with other manufacturers, it is caused by outgassing of the many plastics used in their interiors.

OP might want to take another visit to a showroom to see if it was just that particular car.

My MS had a little glare, just needed to be clean, I did it myself, took less then an hour, my Audi came with a bad windshield, took them a over a month to get that fixed, I think all car manufacturers have some problems, but most of the cars that come out of the factories are in great shape. The ones that don't there are laws that protect you. To make yourself go crazy, and panic over a easy fix, is Crazy.

• Love
So people are damming the OP because his windshield is defective causing eyestrain at night...Okay got it!

If he had accepted the car and attempted to have Tesla replace the windshield y'all know it would have gone unpaired as it would have been found to be "within spec".
We don't know that, he didn't know that, OP didn't even try. He said it himself, he love the way it drove and the tech, and it was fun, he gave all that up for mostly a easy fix, maybe a day or two. I have always had good service, so maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

We don't know that, he didn't know that, OP didn't even try. He said it himself, he love the way it drove and the tech, and it was fun, he gave all that up for mostly a easy fix, maybe a day or two. I have always had good service, so maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

I gave up on the Y with Tesla for now because Tesla doesn’t take the responsibility to admit their wrongs and fix their issues. They will never because their customers allow Them to be abusive to them. They have brainwashed their customers into believing “this is just how it is! We are all beta testers! Isn’t it exciting!”

Tell me that isn’t the slogan of every person who’s fronk doesn’t close, the door panels are different colors, peeling paint, windshield distortion, ac stopped working, body lines are completely Mia matched, panels popping out and this is just the surface.

“ well I guess it is exciting for all this new tech gee Wally gosh darn! I sure am special to be a Tesla BETA TESTER!”

They always respond with “we have never seen this issue before” or “this is within spec”.

• Disagree
Reactions: sherlockw and db93
I’m very sensitive to optics and my Model Y windshield is excellent, zero eye strain day or night. Much better than my nine year old BMW windshield was. Try a test drive at another center.
That is the plan! After I cancelled Tesla sales told the truth all of sudden “they are tired of not having a premium solid product to sale. Was told they are embarrassing to even stand next to at events with other car manufactures! He would have done the same and he all of a sudden has seen it before on the Y models”.
Even the sales guys want their quality to go up.
Screw the tech! If we spend 35k to 150k we should be getting a quality product. I wouldn’t throw 70k on black and cross my fingers. It was a bad decision. But the thuper Tesla fan boys don’t know what productive criticism is.

• Disagree
Reactions: db93
These cars are not perfect...

The underneath parts are solid and dependable, the technology seems far advanced over the competitors, but the final body assembly and paint are sub-standard.

All manufacturers have their strengths and weaknesses. Just focusing on the panels and paint somehow miss the main reason that Tesla exists. They do not burn gas/diesel.

Film on a window that can be cleaned is not the end of the world.

You all inspired me... even after removing the overspray from my windshield, it was still very hazy each time the wipers chatter by. I replaced my driver's wiper with a Bosch Icon (minor mod needed of the clip), so now the wiper glided by smoothly, yet left a haze.

Out came my polisher and some cesium oxide... 10 minutes later, my windshield is crystal clear, the wipers glide like silk, and there is zero haze when they pass by.