Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Transponder Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to post here, because I was worried about this issue myself and hadn't heard concrete confirmation on what worked.

I obtained the external ez-pass transponder (afaik you have to call them to get it)... I took it to the Rockville SC and had them install it inside the nosecone (I don't have a front plate mounted). I wasn't sure whether they would do it, but aside from not quite knowing what I wanted at first, they had no qualms about doing it. I was also obviously worried that it just wouldn't be in a good position for the receptors to pick up it's signal.

I don't know about the 495 fastlane receptors, but I drive on the dulles toll road every day to / from work and it registers just fine. I haven't noticed it requiring a slower speed either, I haven't been keeping exact track, but I go through around 40-50mph and it's been registering fine.

Hope this helps anyone trying to figure out what to do (at least in the DC Metro area)

Anyone try a Florida Sunpass transponder with a P85D? Location also in the black dots area to the right of the rear view mirror?

I have the external sunpass mounted behind the nosecone. Works everywhere so far. Even for airport parking which is gate controlled. Pull up and it registers immediately. The Palm Beach SC recommended this as the best option. I had it installed at pickup and no issues since.

An EZ pass works fine for me at the top to the right of the rear view mirror and autopilot camera box. Including the high speed ezpasses.

Oddly the DS at Tesla told me it wouldn't work in the windshield. I read this thread and saw that people had no problems with placing it in the obvious place and they were right -- Tesla was wrong. Too bad for the many people who wasted time with nosecone and license plate installs if they would have preferred interior windshield mount b/c Tesla was telling them incorrect information.

I gave up on this and called Ez-pass who sent me a license plate transponder and that solved my problem. Every other try (inside, nose cone, etc) didn't work consistently - the one that goes onto the license plate has woken flawlessly.

Any NJ EZ Pass holders: Is #3 the ideal position for autopilot/D cars?

#1 and #2 have had a 95% success rate and really want it to be 100% like in my other cars.

ezpass_tesla.jpg

I have a license plate mounted EZ Pass (secured to the front license plate, required in Maryland) and it works flawlessly. Ugly but not as ugly as my HOV lane sticker on the back... is there no style god at the DMV?? :)

I also have a black transponder for my work parking garage. I tried to put it in position #3 (above from caps04) but the performance was spotty. I then took it apart and saw that there was an antenna on it, on one side. I oriented the pass so that the antenna was at the top, over the black dots, and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

Morale, the orientation matters when mounting it to the right of the rear view mirror. The dots don't have any shielding so that is where the device's antenna needs to be placed.

Good luck!

I have a license plate mounted EZ Pass (secured to the front license plate, required in Maryland) and it works flawlessly. Ugly but not as ugly as my HOV lane sticker on the back... is there no style god at the DMV?? :)

I also have a black transponder for my work parking garage. I tried to put it in position #3 (above from caps04) but the performance was spotty. I then took it apart and saw that there was an antenna on it, on one side. I oriented the pass so that the antenna was at the top, over the black dots, and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

Morale, the orientation matters when mounting it to the right of the rear view mirror. The dots don't have any shielding so that is where the device's antenna needs to be placed.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. My community gate transponder is mounted in the dotted area but responds weakly. I have to get really close to the transmitter for it to work. Based on what you wrote, I got the guts to open it up, located the antenna, and noted that it was behind the big wad of Velcro that I used to fix it to the glass. I am going to re-orient the thing. If I don't post anything else on this topic after this, you may assume that the situation has improved. :smile:

Any NJ EZ Pass holders: Is #3 the ideal position for autopilot/D cars?

#1 and #2 have had a 95% success rate and really want it to be 100% like in my other cars.

View attachment 76386

I can't speak for the D models, but my March 2013 car has it right at #3 in your photo, as close to the roof as I can get it and as close to the mirror I can get it, with maybe an inch on either side. works 100% of the time (as I have yet to get fined for it not working) and have had it there for the past 3 months or so.

I had to install inside the car because of it being a switchable transponder (HOV status to non-HOV) and it has correctly read while going at least the speed limit (I won't admit to anything faster) which in this case is 65 MPH. It has also been tested and works on the Dulles Toll Road at their gates (where you have to come to a near stop to allow the arms to go up).

Update: I installed the newer narrower NJ EZPass in position #3 and it's working fine for now. Haven't used it in high speed toll lanes but hopefully it will work.

This is good to know. I have an older style EZ Pass (Ohio) that is installed in position #3 in my 85D that I just picked up two weeks ago. I don't see the toll way regularly, but will be using the EZ Pass in 2 weeks (Reach the Beach gathering) ... keeping my fingers crossed it works where I have it!

An EZ pass works fine for me at the top to the right of the rear view mirror and autopilot camera box. Including the high speed ezpasses.

Oddly the DS at Tesla told me it wouldn't work in the windshield. I read this thread and saw that people had no problems with placing it in the obvious place and they were right -- Tesla was wrong. Too bad for the many people who wasted time with nosecone and license plate installs if they would have preferred interior windshield mount b/c Tesla was telling them incorrect information.
Correction. At least one time where I noticed the red light, the ezpass wasnt read when in position three-- just rt of the mirror at very top. Concerning.

Just got a 91FastTrak transponder and it didn't work on right side of rear view mirror. Got an external transponder at the same time knowing the windshield might have issues. Gonna try and see if external will work if I have it out on the dash if not I'll hold it out the window when I go by. Was told not to worry because they check your license plate. All Zero-Emissions vehicles are free on 91FastTrak but you still need to have an account.

Here is a pic of the transponder to my office building. I took it apart and saw that the antenna was on the side. So orienting the antenna behind the dots was the trick. Works every time now.

(My EZ Pass is on my license tag. Works well but I would have put it on the windshield as caps04 did if I didn't have the garage transponder up there.)

FullSizeRender.jpg