Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift CPO (not Performance) vs. Performance CPO (no facelift)

Facelift CPO (not Performance) vs. Performance CPO (no facelift)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the best thing to do is go to a Tesla store and take an S for a drive. They can software switch the P100D from P100D to S75 right on the dashboard and you can feel the difference back to back in one test drive. The P100D is significantly faster than a P85D but only when actually racing each other but close enough to the P85D to get the idea.

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl
There have been a series of well-documented upgrades over the first several years starting Day 1. I agree that the P85D from 2014-16 is the sweet spot for price and quality. Saying internal upgrades were all post facelift is ridiculous and not all upgrades are positive. The current 75D brakes suck, for instance, and you need to go up to a P to get the brakes of old.

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
There have been a series of well-documented upgrades over the first several years starting Day 1. I agree that the P85D from 2014-16 is the sweet spot for price and quality. Saying internal upgrades were all post facelift is ridiculous and not all upgrades are positive. The current 75D brakes suck, for instance, and you need to go up to a P to get the brakes of old.

Thank you for this info. I did not know about he brakes.

I think the best thing to do is go to a Tesla store and take an S for a drive. They can software switch the P100D from P100D to S75 right on the dashboard and you can feel the difference back to back in one test drive. The P100D is significantly faster than a P85D but only when actually racing each other but close enough to the P85D to get the idea.

I would do this...but I might get drunk with getting a p100D on the spot....:)

Get the P85D and you won’t regret it. If you care about performance (handling), look for one that was mfg pre April 2015 and has the + suspension. If you care that much about the nosecone and look, get the aftermarket refresh.

Get the 75 and you may have performance envy and range envy and could possibly regret your purchase. You can’t upgrade these features after the fact like the nosecone.

Back to your original question, which we strayed off from, nobody knows for sure the residual value of each, but as I mentioned, it will be supply and demand. So if you can research how many 75s were sold and how many P85Ds were sold in that time period,
It may help.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I also think P85Ds are from the era of highest quality control because volumes and pressure to produce were still pretty low, yet the initial bugs of 2012-2014 were worked out. I think pressure to build 10,000 cars a week has wreaked havoc on newer cars. Not saying newer is bad, just saying 2015 seems to be a sweet spot. People will be hunting down P85Ds for a long time in my opinion.

(Back on track - my bad).
I can add there is some truth to this. From experience. Thank you

When did this brake change happen? I don’t think the OP is going to order a brand new car if it just changed. My sons "17 S75D came with the exact same Brembo brakes as my P100D just painted. I never said all changes were post facelift, just that the refresh was about much more than just appearance. All manufacturers make continuous internal changes during production runs when they find weaknesses or better suppliers but usually save styling changes for model year refreshes. That list is mostly availability and ordering changes not internal part upgrades that they didn’t publicly announce. If you go test drive a new or CPO, talk to a tech and ask the opinion of someone who works on them.

• Informative
Reactions: Xolt
I also reported a noisy fan (AC related?) and they replaced it as part of the extended warranty. That wouldn't have been covered under the 8 year battery/motor.

I don't dispute there's things the extended warranty covers, and a very large number of people seem to go that route, which seems like a reasonable decision.

. . . if the noise continues or comes back then they'll have to replace the entire rear motor. That's an expensive proposition without a warranty.

I'm just pointing out that the above assertion is in error. Replacing the rear motor is FREE even without the extended warranty, as it's included in the eight year unlimited miles warranty built in to the price of the car already. So it is in fact, NOT, an expensive proposition without the extended warranty.

But it looks like you bought the extended warranty, as many do, and I agree with you that's a rational choice.

Curious what models you are trying to decide between.

I know P85Ds are probably your best bang for the buck right now on Tesla’s “CPO/used” car sales. Some dropping to low $50s

This is exactly the sweet spot I see. P85D. One "unloaded" CPO just went for $49k....(needed some body work). mid 55 for a few options seems like the sweet spot for the P85d right now. Same price as a refresh 75D

This is exactly the sweet spot I see. P85D. One "unloaded" CPO just went for $49k....(needed some body work). mid 55 for a few options seems like the sweet spot for the P85d right now. Same price as a refresh 75D
This assumes Tesla prices on a curve based on condition and other factors. Since there's no uniformity in the CPO evaluation (at least based on pics of various CPOs I've seen), I don't think that's a safe assumption. A $55k car may need just as much body work as the $49k. You just can't tell based on fuzzy low resolution pictures.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
This assumes Tesla prices on a curve based on condition and other factors. Since there's no uniformity in the CPO evaluation (at least based on pics of various CPOs I've seen), I don't think that's a safe assumption. A $55k car may need just as much body work as the $49k. You just can't tell based on fuzzy low resolution pictures.

amazing how the only folks in the planet without a smartphone are taking pictures of $100,000 Teslas for sale (originally prices).