Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift without premium pack.. Frunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok the new 60 has moved me from a potential CPO buyer to a likely new buyer. (Damn you Elon)

I don't suffer from allergies and am not impressed with the performance of the adaptive headlamps. So I'm considering suffering the indignity of opening my own trunk and skipping the premium package.

Is the frunk space the same if you don't get the hepa filter? This was always something that impressed me on classic S's. I'm going single motor as well so it'd be nice to take advantage of all that space up there. Has anyone looked under the plastic to see if there's another compartment or if it's just open?

It's really too bad the used market hasn't really adjusted yet. My ideal car is probably a 2015 70 but I don't feel like paying thousands more for a used car

I just picked up my S60 without the premium package and the frunk is smaller. I'm happy with the choice. The inside lighting on the premium is nice but I decided I'd rather get the next gen seats given my budget than the premium package.

I was in the same boat looking around at CPO's but decided I wanted autopilot. The S60 got me to pull the trigger. I likely would have still been waiting if it was still only the S70 as the entry point.

Last edited:
Considering the popularity of,dual motor and premium package I can understand why they standardized to the smaller frunk.

I guess if you really want the old frunk it might be possible to swap in the trim from a classic model S. Even if you had to cut up the old trim a bit it should be minimally invasive and fully reversible.

Frankly, the old frunk rocks. It's one of the USP's of a classic model S. -If it's true- it is quite sad that all the new model S (even those without dual motors) have the small frunk.

I don't use the frunk very often but it is an absolute charm to use while on holiday. I love it. One of the main benefits is that it is a safe storage space for all sorts of valuable stuff. I would for example never leave a laptop in the trunk (would lead to a smashed window in no time) but I don't really see a problem leaving one in the frunk of a classic model S.

So, the fact that the newschool model S' frunk can be opened from the outside is even more sad. This is a very strange regression that can be explained with the new (non-removable) nose-cone. I think it was a solution to allow access to jump start connectors even with a flat 12V battery. So no, you shoulnd't leave your laptop in the (small) frunk of a facelifted model S...

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and twonius
ok the new 60 has moved me from a potential CPO buyer to a likely new buyer. (Damn you Elon)

I don't suffer from allergies and am not impressed with the performance of the adaptive headlamps. So I'm considering suffering the indignity of opening my own trunk and skipping the premium package.

Is the frunk space the same if you don't get the hepa filter? This was always something that impressed me on classic S's. I'm going single motor as well so it'd be nice to take advantage of all that space up there. Has anyone looked under the plastic to see if there's another compartment or if it's just open?

It's really too bad the used market hasn't really adjusted yet. My ideal car is probably a 2015 70 but I don't feel like paying thousands more for a used car

A third party might decide to make a custom frunk for those who have the space but currently all new S's have the same frunk regardless of configuration.

Frankly, the old frunk rocks. It's one of the USP's of a classic model S. -If it's true- it is quite sad that all the new model S (even those without dual motors) have the small frunk.

I don't use the frunk very often but it is an absolute charm to use while on holiday. I love it. One of the main benefits is that it is a safe storage space for all sorts of valuable stuff. I would for example never leave a laptop in the trunk (would lead to a smashed window in no time) but I don't really see a problem leaving one in the frunk of a classic model S.

So, the fact that the newschool model S' frunk can be opened from the outside is even more sad. This is a very strange regression that can be explained with the new (non-removable) nose-cone. I think it was a solution to allow access to jump start connectors even with a flat 12V battery. So no, you shoulnd't leave your laptop in the (small) frunk of a facelifted model S...
There was discussion on the new frunk awhile back and the thought was the exterior frunk release would only work if the 12v battery was dead or close to it. Assuming that is true, that might not make it full proof, but it does make it more secure. I'm not sure this was ever proved though.

There was discussion on the new frunk awhile back and the thought was the exterior frunk release would only work if the 12v battery was dead or close to it. Assuming that is true, that might not make it full proof, but it does make it more secure. I'm not sure this was ever proved though.
I believe that it can always be opened from the exterior since that's what allows first responders access to the frunk and the "first responder cut loop". Reading the first responder guides, it looks like you only need to pull the two cables to open the front trunk.

First Responder Information

• Informative
Reactions: twonius
I believe that it can always be opened from the exterior since that's what allows first responders access to the frunk and the "first responder cut loop". Reading the first responder guides, it looks like you only need to pull the two cables to open the front trunk.

First Responder Information

Ok this puts me a bit more at ease.. Honestly your car is not a safe.

Back in the day they'd just smash the window and pull the trunk release manually.... or light the car on fire #bienvenueaparis

From the first responder materials, it looks like it can be done regardless of whether or not the battery is dead. The good news is the kind of people who would steal from your frunk are not the kind of people who would research through information online for intrusion techniques.

No security is absolute. Most security is just about defending from opportunistic thiefs. Make the theft inconvenient and your stuff will probably stay undisturbed. There's a balance to be had between first responders and security. As long as it's not conducive to smash and grab it's good.

Am not at all thrilled with the smaller frunk. Makes me appreciate my RWD 85 all the more. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and in 18 months, I'll be at the GRV window which happens to coincide with when fully-optioned Model 3s will theoretically ship to CA owners.

At that point, my choices are 4:

1. Do nothing, and drive what I have into the ground with full frunkian goodness.
2. GRV my car, and essentially buy it back by buying a similar RWD model with full frunk via CPO.
3. Buy the reserved Model 3, replete with microfrunk*.
4. Buy or lease a new Model S, replete with slightly larger frunk - let's call it a minifrunk*.

Microfrunk versus minifrunk, and you read it here first: Anything that can hold a set of golf clubs not designed for the vertically-challenged is a minifrunk. Any smaller than that, and it's a microfrunk. Not to be confused with the microwave/custom luggage therefor, although sizewise, they're not much different.

Wait a minute. Just last week the Tesla gent told me the frunk is slightly larger with RWD. He even showed me how much bigger it would be. Now, I ordered a 60D so it will be smaller anyway but the RWD is larger if he is correct. ( Another question to ask tomorrow) I am "test" driving an S even though I am already sold on the car and money plunked down for that smaller frunk

I love my old frunk on my RWD. I didn't care at all when I bought the car. But It has proved so useful for the emergency and trip stuff that I like to carry, but do not want to ever see. That way, my trunk is always empty and ready to be filled with whatever without having to juggle stuff around. My frunk is always about 75% filled, which actually helps get me closer to a 50/50 weight distribution. Maybe...

Wait a minute. Just last week the Tesla gent told me the frunk is slightly larger with RWD. He even showed me how much bigger it would be. Now, I ordered a 60D so it will be smaller anyway but the RWD is larger if he is correct. ( Another question to ask tomorrow) I am "test" driving an S even though I am already sold on the car and money plunked down for that smaller frunk

That's interesting. My Owner Advisor told me that the frunks are the same size, regardless of configuration on th MS. I ordered a single motor 60. Anyone that has a MS 60 or 70 can you tell us if your car's frunk is bigger than a 60D or 70D?