Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Delivery and Tax implications for Out of State Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall that California's legislature was considering lifting the requirement that sales taxes be collected at factory delivery even though the owner of the vehicle was not a CA resident.
I also recall comments on this forum that many owners were getting the shaft when they attempted to register their Tesla in their home state, when they're forced to pay the sales taxes again (actually receiving no credit for taxes paid at delivery in California).

Am I all wet on this??

I recall that California's legislature was considering lifting the requirement that sales taxes be collected at factory delivery even though the owner of the vehicle was not a CA resident.
I also recall comments on this forum that many owners were getting the shaft when they attempted to register their Tesla in their home state, when they're forced to pay the sales taxes again (actually receiving no credit for taxes paid at delivery in California).

Am I all wet on this??
California currently requires tax on all cars delivered in state. Some other states give a credit for this tax paid, others do not (check your state).
California is considering a change to the law to permit CA deliveries for out of state buyers without tax. It has passed one house but not the other.

California currently requires tax on all cars delivered in state. Some other states give a credit for this tax paid, others do not (check your state).
California is considering a change to the law to permit CA deliveries for out of state buyers without tax. It has passed one house but not the other.

It looks like Nevada is one of the states that credits the out-of-state sale tax:

Sales Tax Information s

Any information on if the California sales tax law passed?

I have read the links, but when I search for SB 680 I get a completely different bill.

We are considering an inventory model X (75 or 90) either December or March range, and would love to pick it up vs paying for it to be shipped to Arizona, but the tax issues make it difficult.

-Harry

I thought that the "shipping" charge was applied even if you picked it up at the factory? Allegedly it is a catch all for the prep and other things.

There can be an "extra" shipping fee on Inventory vehicles vs standard built to order.

This Model X is available for pickup. Shipment to your nearest service center may require a transportation fee up to $1,500. Shipment to Alaska or Hawaii may cost up to $3,000.

-Harry