Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NH resident with required to pay $2500. transportation and $1200. federally mandated fee.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not what the CA gov website says - sounds like you guys have been treated rather improperly by the dealerships and sales oultets and contrary to state law - I have quoted the state website - what more can I say than get a lawyer or go "pro se"?
But what you quoted doesn't apply to the situation, and specifically contradicts you. It only applies to vehicles that are purchased for their "first functional use" being outside the state. What is that? Taken right from your quote:

1637618930538.png

So if you take delivery of the vehicle in California, and drive it, the first functional use is in California, so the entire section you quoted, "Not purchased for use in California", no longer applies.

But it is made more clear in a section further down on the page you linked to:

1637619315684.png

Two problems for you in that section:
  • This exclusion does not apply to a purchase from a licensed vehicle dealer subject to sales tax.
    • Tesla is a dealer subject to sales tax.
  • You may not be required to pay California use tax if the only use of the vehicle in California is to remove it from the stateand it will be used solely thereafter outside this state, and you do not register the vehicle in California with the DMV.
    • i.e. If you use it as part of your vacation in California on your way home, the exclusion no longer applies.

Last edited:
STATEMENT PURSUANT TO SECTION 6247 OF THE CALIFORNIA SALES AND USE TAX LAW The timely acceptance in good faith by the seller of this CDTFA-447
Link Here
And from that form:

Note: This CDTFA-447 only relieves the seller of the duty to collect use tax from the purchaser, and does not relieve the seller from sales tax, which will usually apply if the property is delivered to the purchaser in California. That is, this CDTFA-447 is useful only where the property is delivered to the purchaser outside California, and the seller will have the burden to show such out-of-state delivery. The seller may use CDTFA-448, Statement of Delivery Outside California, to help document actual delivery to the purchaser outside California
Good grief, do you not even read the things you link to?

I did sir and "Note: This CDTFA-447 only relieves the seller of the duty to collect use tax from the purchaser, and does not relieve the seller from sales tax, which will usually apply if the property is delivered to the purchaser in California."
I am the purchaser in California, physically in California (residency is silent).
Your added "That is" is not what it says or is printed.

Try again, that was a direct copy and paste:
1637620575505.png

I did sir and you should read it again.

I am the purchaser standing or not standing in California and thus I am the purchaser outside of California (residency focus) not physical location focus.
It specifically says that the exclusion doesn't apply if the property is delivered in California. It is not residency focused....

And specifically says that sales tax applies:
does not relieve the seller from sales tax, which will usually apply if the property is delivered to the purchaser in California

Frankly I trust the lawyers at Tesla to know and apply the law correctly.
I'm not going to go by some internet rando posting links on a forum.

I'm sure if there were a way for Tesla to avoid charging out-of-state buyers sales tax at Fremont deliveries, they'd be doing that. But they're not, so I have to assume they actually know about the law more than you do.

"Good god!" (whatever the F that means).

Reactions: oktane and rexki
STATEMENT PURSUANT TO SECTION 6247 OF THE CALIFORNIA SALES AND USE TAX LAW The timely acceptance in good faith by the seller of this CDTFA-447
Link Here

Here is the state Law that backs up the form (above) so you do not have to pay the sales tax if any end user from out of state shows up in person to buy any car in any location in California, who needs to get there car back to their homestate and thus gets a waiver from the CA DMV to be legal on the drive from said location while on State of California streets and highways.

Good God!!
You realize that is a BS law the bureaucrats in Sacramento made up to justify their theft, right?

Only one other state in the union follows that sales tax scam when it comes to automobiles and that is Massachusetts.

In fact, many other states specifically advertise the “no sales tax”provision to attract out of state buyers.

This is just a case of California being California. (And yes, Tesla faces immense pressure from the state to comply. That doesn’t make it legal.)

Reactions: oktane
I called a CA dealer, and they have a newer policy where they will deliver an out-of-state purchased car to Yuma, AZ to save an out-of-state customer from CA sales tax. They are not allowed to have a purchased new car leave their parking lot unless they collect sales tax. Oh well then, Yuma it is. Fred & Wilma
I did this over ten years ago when I bought a used Porsche from a dealer in Santa Barbara. Had it flat-bedded across the state line and drove it home to FL. I paid the sales tax when I got to FL. In the end, I only saved a few hundred dollars, but I made a little road trip/vacation out of it. CA sales tax was a little higher than FL. If I paid the tax in CA, I owed FL nothing. I doubt if CA car dealers/manufacturers are charging you sales tax when they don't have to.

The difference is so small now it would cost me money to do the same thing. I don't think this is unique to CA at all, but I don't keep up with it. Of course, if you live in a zero sales tax state it would be a larger issue.

Reactions: rexki
In the end it all worked out. I picked up my 2021 Plaid S in NJ, it had temp. NJ registration plate, and I did not pay sales tax.

My only unresolved issue is that I signed up for the monthly $100. FSD but since my 7-day use score is not high enough, I am not allowed to use the FSD features. Very confusing since I have the $100. monthly charge on my credit card but have no benefit. The 7-day use score is constantly being lowered due to the somewhat crowded roads in NH. If someone ahead of you pulls to the side of the road with their turn signal on, on FSD your car Tesla will go into panic mode by going over the yellow line to avoid that car, triggering a penalty on your daily score. The only way to have avoided that penalty would be to purposely disengage the FSD the instant that car pulled to the side of the road. This happens all the time, so my score is perpetually low, too low for the beta version of FSD to work for me. There is no solution except to be highly vigilant and keep a large distance between my car and the car ahead, and to be sure to disengage auto-pilot BEFORE the car goes into a panic state and crosses the yellow line. Should I simply cancel my monthly FSD status?

• Love
Reactions: rexki and J_Nixon
Does anyone know in what year CA implemented that. The last time I was in CA my CA friend suggested we go to the nearest Porsche dealer to see if he could negotiate a much better price on a new 928.
Well given Porsche stopped making the 928 series in the 1990’s, I’m guessing CA could have implemented the policy quite a while ago.

In the end it all worked out. I picked up my 2021 Plaid S in NJ, it had temp. NJ registration plate, and I did not pay sales tax.

My only unresolved issue is that I signed up for the monthly $100. FSD but since my 7-day use score is not high enough, I am not allowed to use the FSD features. Very confusing since I have the $100. monthly charge on my credit card but have no benefit. The 7-day use score is constantly being lowered due to the somewhat crowded roads in NH. If someone ahead of you pulls to the side of the road with their turn signal on, on FSD your car Tesla will go into panic mode by going over the yellow line to avoid that car, triggering a penalty on your daily score. The only way to have avoided that penalty would be to purposely disengage the FSD the instant that car pulled to the side of the road. This happens all the time, so my score is perpetually low, too low for the beta version of FSD to work for me. There is no solution except to be highly vigilant and keep a large distance between my car and the car ahead, and to be sure to disengage auto-pilot BEFORE the car goes into a panic state and crosses the yellow line. Should I simply cancel my monthly FSD status?
The "time out" period for even Auto Pilot is not called for either - safety sometimes requires heavy acceleration for proper placement on rural interstate driving - with dominant alpha cars doing 85 miles an hour in caravan style staying illegally left lane their entire trip.

Just to clarify since I ordered a Model 3 to be delivered (Carrier Direct) from NJ to NH, the cost of home delivery is $750 total. I had it setup for pick-up in NJ but with the distance and January weather I opted to pay $750 to avoid the hassle. So I'm still not sure where the $2500 and $1200 come in to play, maybe those where 2020 figures? For NH buyers the option is pick-up in NJ for free or pay $750 for home delivery.

Just to clarify since I ordered a Model 3 to be delivered (Carrier Direct) from NJ to NH, the cost of home delivery is $750 total. I had it setup for pick-up in NJ but with the distance and January weather I opted to pay $750 to avoid the hassle. So I'm still not sure where the $2500 and $1200 come in to play, maybe those where 2020 figures? For NH buyers the option is pick-up in NJ for free or pay $750 for home delivery.
Tesla didn’t even offer me the option of home delivery. For any price.

I asked and they said it was not possible. Probably the same reason people are being quoted different prices. No one at Tesla knows what the hell is going on.

Tesla didn’t even offer me the option of home delivery. For any price.

I asked and they said it was not possible. Probably the same reason people are being quoted different prices. No one at Tesla knows what the hell is going on.
Well it was the SA that offered it when I asked about the pickup logistics in NJ. I originally opted for the pickup and later changed my mind. But the SA is in NJ so they would know that it's an option.

Finally got it delivered to my home yesterday. The Carrier Direct service is great except for the lack of communication. The SA kept telling me only that I would get a call when the car is "almost there" but they couldn't confirm the date. So I spent a week wondering when it would arrive. They even said they couldn't tell me the name of the 3rd party transportation company so I could contact them. Eventually I got a call that they were 45 minutes away. Glad I was already home :) The guy was super nice and let me check it out inside and out before he left. It was worth the $750 fee.