Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory is shut for the week of July 27 for retooling for model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boy, now I'm hoping for concrete information on Wednesday's call not because it would get me closer to my potential X purchase, but to move the forum needle a bit back in the direction of 'let's discuss the X' rather than 'let's waste pages and pages bickering.'

I wasn't around these parts when the S approached initial deliveries, but I've heard it was not pretty. I think I'm getting the gist of what that was like.

+1. This is crazy.

A Habit of Successful People:

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

-- Steven Covey

Another habit of successful people, 90% listening, 10% talking. Now here I am way off point myself. I'm about ready to give up on TMC forums. Is everybody just wound up because we are getting close? There is not a single thread that is on topic. Everything is poisonous about the other person's post, etc, etc.

Another habit of successful people, 90% listening, 10% talking. Now here I am way off point myself. I'm about ready to give up on TMC forums. Is everybody just wound up because we are getting close? There is not a single thread that is on topic. Everything is poisonous about the other person's post, etc, etc.

The atmosphere here at TMC is very similar to how it was just prior to the Model S launch. If history repeats itself, be prepared for things to get even more heated once the design studio launches. Then prepare for another level of discussion as the first Signature cars are delivered, especially if Tesla does not sequence the delivery order exactly as the Signature reservations numbers are ordered. I believe Tesla batched the first Model S deliveries by configuration types, so they did not happen exactly in the sequence order of how the Signature reservations were listed. For example, I was Sig #267, but ended up with VIN #532. I was fine with it, but there were others who were quite vocal about their opinions on the delivery order.

Last edited:
I have zero expectations that the Model X made exactly a year after mine won't be even better (it better be!) ... but I'll have a year's worth of fun on mine that they'll never be able to recover :).

Sorry about insisting, but I am still a bit unclear on what exactly was promised. You seemed hesitant in providing details in your original post, but asking can't hurt. Your assurances are only about the Sig range, right? Not about the cars one year later? Still, let's say they find an issue like the fogging thing early in the model S release. Would your assurances guarantee that if your car had it, the last sig will also have it? Or the other way around, if they fixed it for the last sig, they will make it right by you?

Sorry about insisting, but I am still a bit unclear on what exactly was promised. You seemed hesitant in providing details in your original post, but asking can't hurt. Your assurances are only about the Sig range, right? Not about the cars one year later? Still, let's say they find an issue like the fogging thing early in the model S release. Would your assurances guarantee that if your car had it, the last sig will also have it? Or the other way around, if they fixed it for the last sig, they will make it right by you?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I would expect, like with any issue found while the car still under warranty, that the fogging would be fixed under warranty once a fix was identified.

Is there a specific issue that you're worried about?

- - - Updated - - -

And of course those who can pickup in Freemont can get their cars up to three weeks earlier than someone who has to have their car shipped across the country.
I will have the small blue tent in the parking lot.

I've read back 5 pages and I'm more confused than ever. Do we know for certain that the factory is shut down to begin Model X production? A simple "yes" or "no" is all that's required.

Another habit of successful people, 90% listening, 10% talking.

How are we measuring success? Because if it's by financial means then the most successful people I know talk 90% of the time and barely listen.

Someone makes a sighting (a rare one at that from the track), takes the trouble of posting it - and we ridicule the quality? Why?

- - - Updated - - -

I've read back 5 pages and I'm more confused than ever. Do we know for certain that the factory is shut down to begin Model X production? A simple "yes" or "no" is all that's required.

How are we measuring success? Because if it's by financial means then the most successful people I know talk 90% of the time and barely listen.

For sure and especially for Model X? No.

As for successful, in your description TMC is filled with very successful people. :) IMO the threads would be a lot shorter if more people would simply - without playing the devil's advocate - try really to take in what the other said and respond in a way that gives the other guy a reasonable signal of being heard. Correcting misconception after misconception is one reason why simple exchanges drag on and on.

Someone makes a sighting (a rare one at that from the track), takes the trouble of posting it - and we ridicule the quality? Why?

Relax. No one is being ridiculed, no need to jump to the defense of anyone.

It's a short video of a couple of headlights in the night. It was not Doggusfluffy's sighting, but rather he reposted it from reddit and labeled it "From the test track at the factory via the Reddit post...allegedly."

As for successful, in your description TMC is filled with very successful people. :) IMO the threads would be a lot shorter if more people would simply - without playing the devil's advocate - try really to take in what the other said and respond in a way that gives the other guy a reasonable signal of being heard. Correcting misconception after misconception is one reason why simple exchanges drag on and on.

-ahem-

Relax. No one is being ridiculed, no need to jump to the defense of anyone.

Good to hear. I hope to see more from that Reddit poster.

No doubt applies to me at times as well. But I do make the effort to acknowledge the views of people I talk with and spell out agreements as well as disagreements.

One issue with misunderstanding is compounding. Even if one guy responds in way that is accurate of the others views, there is often some third guy misunderstanding or mischaracterizing the situation and so it drags on clarification after clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what you're asking. I would expect, like with any issue found while the car still under warranty, that the fogging would be fixed under warranty once a fix was identified.

Agree, fogging is a guarantee issue. Bad example. Maybe something like the A/B battery version would be a better example of continuous integration that Tesla does and which you could read both as still begin equivalent or not.

Is there a specific issue that you're worried about?

Not really, the Model X is not a car that fits my personal situation, so I don't care too much how the cars come off the line beyond being a sympathizer on this forum. Just found it interesting because their promise to you seems to go counter the innovation-at-all-cost-existing-customers-being-unhappy-be-damned mode Tesla is in with the S.

... Just found it interesting because their promise to you seems to go counter the innovation-at-all-cost-existing-customers-being-unhappy-be-damned mode Tesla is in with the S.

As someone who just missed auto-pilot hardware, I'm thankful Tesla doesn't sacrifice innovation to please existing customers like me. I've never felt that they think I should be damned though. That's quite a cynical perspective.

As someone who just missed auto-pilot hardware, I'm thankful Tesla doesn't sacrifice innovation to please existing customers like me. I've never felt that they think I should be damned though. That's quite a cynical perspective.

I can appreciate that. To offer another opinion, as someone who also has a very late Classic P85 (with reversed stalks), I had no problem with "D" as far as my personal car buying went. Progress is progress - and I bought my car to wait for the Model X I really want. However, I can also understand and sympathize those who did feel their experience soured. It is a risk with many technology purchases.

So, to help the latter group good unofficial data/debates can help to avoid the pitfalls a little better and thus I see value in it. Even if it means considering potential troll crusaders. :)

That said, since I am happy with my Classic P85 but went through that cut-off once and thus want an upgrade in Model X, I too have a vested interest in this conversation. I would prefer the Model X I get not to be significantly less (think Classic vs. D) than it will be in 3-6 months features-wise from its making, so anything I can do to find out more helps myself as well.

Not really, the Model X is not a car that fits my personal situation, so I don't care too much how the cars come off the line beyond being a sympathizer on this forum. Just found it interesting because their promise to you seems to go counter the innovation-at-all-cost-existing-customers-being-unhappy-be-damned mode Tesla is in with the S.

I don't find it counter whatsoever. Perhaps you're reading things that aren't there.

- - - Updated - - -

Amen.

As Sig#205 and never having had the pleasure of owning a Tesla roadster or S, I'm encouraged by the reported news that Tesla will do a production run (all of Sigs) without making any major component substitutions (my interpretation of Bonnie's comments). Three years ago when I put down the deposit, I knew full well that taking an early version had risks, but I also trusted that Tesla would pay SPECIAL attention to those early cars, making them whole in case there were problems. By putting out a fairly large number of essentially identical cars, the statistical n is hopefully high enough that they will more quickly spot structural problems -- in effect the next step past beta and R/C testing. As with new drugs on the markets, it takes general dissemination before the more unexpected side effects show up.

My main motivation (besides having fun my new X) is that electric cars take off much faster than the pundits predict. So I want Tesla to succeed with the X, even more than with the S. I trust the company. I would hope that anyone ordering a Sig is in a position to accept the risks that it may be less "perfect" than subsequent editions, but that the Sig is a fully road/customer-worthy car backed by one the most responsive car companies in the world (based on all the motors replaced without question).