Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory is shut for the week of July 27 for retooling for model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? How so?

Bottom line, as others (thanks vger and others!) have noted, I have a lot of skin in the game with Sig #2. Obviously I'm locking down what matters to me personally, not for the sake of some silly forum disagreement or to bother proving anyone wrong. I happen to subscribe to 'people can argue and disagree with you all they want, the truth is still the truth'.

Believe what you want.

Look, I want to believe Tesla on this. And I do. Prior to the latest exchange e.g. between you and JST, the whole clarification just seemed a whole lot more clear cut to me than it does now with talk like "I made sure that the language I suggested" etc. I thought earlier you had simply asked them if Eds claims were right and they dismissed them as incorrect and you conveyed that - in a summarized form - to us.

bonnie said:
JST said:
Note that "equivalent" does not mean "identical." I have no doubt that Tesla has provided assurances to the first Sig purchasers that their cars won't be immediately obsolete by changes made to the later ones...but I also have little doubt that whatever language Tesla is using in those assurances, they've left themselves enough latitude to make running production improvements and corresponding minor design changes.
You guys nailed it. I would never ask for assurances that Tesla will not continue innovating and I made that very clear. I LOVE that they continue innovating. I made sure that the language I suggested left the door open for innovation & didn't insist on some unreasonable expectation.

If indeed both you and Tesla meant innovation only as in down the road (like a year later), then OK. But surely it would suck a bit more if that innovation happened three months down the road because of delayed parts. Do you think Tesla's wording excluded major new features coming out after 3-4 months? That would seem like a comfortable margin to dismiss Eds completely on that.

Boy, now I'm hoping for concrete information on Wednesday's call not because it would get me closer to my potential X purchase, but to move the forum needle a bit back in the direction of 'let's discuss the X' rather than 'let's waste pages and pages bickering.'

I wasn't around these parts when the S approached initial deliveries, but I've heard it was not pretty. I think I'm getting the gist of what that was like.

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 2.44.39 PM.png

Boy, now I'm hoping for concrete information on Wednesday's call not because it would get me closer to my potential X purchase, but to move the forum needle a bit back in the direction of 'let's discuss the X' rather than 'let's waste pages and pages bickering.'

I wasn't around these parts when the S approached initial deliveries, but I've heard it was not pretty. I think I'm getting the gist of what that was like.

Oh, it's going to get much worse. :)

Look, I want to believe Tesla on this. And I do. Prior to the latest exchange e.g. between you and JST, the whole clarification just seemed a whole lot more clear cut to me than it does now with talk like "I made sure that the language I suggested" etc. I thought earlier you had simply asked them if Eds claims were right and they dismissed them as incorrect and you conveyed that - in a summarized form - to us.

If indeed both you and Tesla meant innovation only as in down the road (like a year later), then OK. But surely it would suck a bit more if that innovation happened three months down the road because of delayed parts. Do you think Tesla's wording excluded major new features coming out after 3-4 months? That would seem like a comfortable margin to dismiss Eds completely on that.

So let's be clear. I did not contact Tesla because of some anonymous poster. I never said or implied that I did. I'd feel stupid contacting them because I saw a rumor on an internet forum. I'm not going to talk about WHY I contacted Tesla. But the end result is the same. You can choose to dismiss or not dismiss Eds comments. However, based on my conversation with Tesla and written assurances, another one of his comments has bit the dust (the first being delayed production). It does speak to the veracity of his other claims... but that's speculation about speculation.

Again, I'm not worried that the vehicle I'm getting is 'less than' because of claims regarding delayed parts. You can twist my words, calling what I say 'iffy' if you'd like. Simple fact is I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of my vehicle and have zero concerns. The garage is READY.

I understand some would want more information - I'm not going to give that. Some know me, know my background, and are satisfied. But for others I'm surely just another anonymous internet source and they should (rightfully) weigh it appropriately based on their own knowledge. Of course, the reality for most is that they will be able to see other vehicles ahead of time. I won't have that luxury.

It is possible that there are only about 5 genuine members of this forum with about 1000 sock puppet accounts. The problem is that with so many alternative accounts they forget which is there's and which isn't, so they end up having real arguments with themselves. Sometimes 100 page threads could be just 1 person accidentally arguing with themselves. :biggrin:

Wow, multiple personality disorder coupled with teslamania. Now there's a combination to watch out for. :)

Nothing at all. You are right.

They are arguing about semantics and if the anonymous source AR puts faith in can be trusted or not.

You mean the "another anonymous internet source" called bonnie? I place more faith on her on this one than Eds. :)

I just think it sucks weighing and discussing data points is sometimes so hard. I mean, it is hard as it is in itself - community making it even harder is unfortunate. As I've said many times, don't confuse that with believing Eds.

- - - Updated - - -

So let's be clear. I did not contact Tesla because of some anonymous poster. I never said or implied that I did. I'd feel stupid contacting them because I saw a rumor on an internet forum. I'm not going to talk about WHY I contacted Tesla. But the end result is the same. You can choose to dismiss or not dismiss Eds comments. However, based on my conversation with Tesla and written assurances, another one of his comments has bit the dust (the first being delayed production). It does speak to the veracity of his other claims... but that's speculation about speculation.

Again, I'm not worried that the vehicle I'm getting is 'less than' because of claims regarding delayed parts. You can twist my words, calling what I say 'iffy' if you'd like. Simple fact is I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of my vehicle and have zero concerns. The garage is READY.

I understand some would want more information - I'm not going to give that. Some know me, know my background, and are satisfied. But for others I'm surely just another anonymous internet source and they should (rightfully) weigh it appropriately based on their own knowledge. Of course, the reality for most is that they will be able to see other vehicles ahead of time. I won't have that luxury.

Fair enough and good clarification.

- - - Updated - - -

Sherlock Holmes said:
I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake totheorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suittheories instead of theories to suit facts.
Elementary...

In the game of unofficial data, there is only uncertain data. The other alternative is to wait for official data, which in itself can be uncertain too because not all is always told and the future is always in flux. Either way, not even Holmes could solve this one. :)

After all, unlike Holmes, we are - in the end - not speculating on matters that have already happened, but matters that will happen in the future.

Dude, can we give it a rest with the little potshots now? Bonnie isn't anonymous, she freely identifies herself and is well known in person in the TMC, Tesla and EV community.

That wasn't a potshot. Maybe it was a bad joke but I thought dsm363 was badly off mark on me and Eds, and made the wordplay. Certainly nothing against bonnie meant there.

bonnie's clarification - where my quote came from (she called herself anonymous, which obviously was not literal) - was fine, no need to take any shots at it.