Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory is shut for the week of July 27 for retooling for model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who just missed auto-pilot hardware, I'm thankful Tesla doesn't sacrifice innovation to please existing customers like me. I've never felt that they think I should be damned though. That's quite a cynical perspective.

As someone who has missed not only the autopilot but the insane P as well I'm happy that I did not try to drag down Tesla to make the best and most innovative cars that I could have a chance to buy in the future too.

Someone makes a sighting (a rare one at that from the track), takes the trouble of posting it - and we ridicule the quality? Why?
Not ridiculing either. Just finding the humor in our desperation for any tidbit of new information. ;-)

While I do find your verbosity tedious at times I appreciate your willingness to dig so deep into each photograph and idea. Most don't have the time or the patience, myself included.

Cheers!

I am pretty sure at one time this thread did have "[rumor]" added. And then it seemed to be removed. Perhaps the mods have some inside information they are sharing through title changes :wink:

Or more likely it was forgotten when they changed it from "next week" to specific dates..
I sure did. Oops. The only fact we have is that it was indeed shutdown for retooling. Now whether that meant production started this week is still a rumor. Titled fixed (again). :)

I sure did. Oops. The only fact we have is that it was indeed shutdown for retooling. Now whether that meant production started this week is still a rumor. Titled fixed (again). :)

Hmm, not to play the title game too much, but perhaps something along the lines of "Factory is shut down for retooling -- for model X?". Many here seemed to be confused as to whether or not the shutdown actually happened.

Screenshot from 2015-08-04 11:45:33.png

According to this morning's browser refresh, production has started (I'm pleased to note).

Hmm, not to play the title game too much, but perhaps something along the lines of "Factory is shut down for retooling -- for model X?". Many here seemed to be confused as to whether or not the shutdown actually happened.

Correct the only fact we have is that tours were not available last week. Someone from the Atlanta Facebook group went on a tour this week:

Way cool tour. Saw 2 x's - one not yet painted and one in black that was posed for folks taking the tour (nice!) The painted one had doors up. On the top center beam the door is attached to was an etched metal plate that said MODEL X.

There are reportedly no tours next week as well.

Not ridiculing either. Just finding the humor in our desperation for any tidbit of new information. ;-)

While I do find your verbosity tedious at times I appreciate your willingness to dig so deep into each photograph and idea. Most don't have the time or the patience, myself included.

Cheers!
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Maybe one day I'll learn to dig as deep without tedious verbosity - which I am the first to admit is my sin. :)

It's an earnings call; if we're lucky there'll be one or two questions about the X and timing. I suspect there may be more interesting comments in the shareholder letter.

My 24 hour comment was actually referring to the letter. And the Q&A reference was because if there is not sufficient info in the shareholder letter detailing how the September launch will be accomplished, I would be shocked if the analysts don't jump all over that in the call. It's been a light one or two questions about the X in prior calls, but this one should be different given that the gears must be turning today if Tesla is to actually meet what they've guided prior (end-of-summer launch and 'much faster than Model S' ramp).

We shall see. I've learned to prepare for disappointment when determining when I should expect Tesla to announce particular things. I'm hopeful, though.

Interpret at will

We just concluded a planned one-week Fremont factory shutdown and made changes in stamping, Model S body center, drive unit production, battery module and pack production and general assembly to allow for an elevated level of production and efficiency. Since Model S and Model X will both share the general assembly line, we used the week to validate the newly installed equipment by completely building several Model X test vehicles. This month, we plan to start painting Model X in our new paint shop well before transitioning Model S painting there, to help de-risk this portion of our overall production ramp

I guess that the thread title has been verified.

The original thread title claimed Model X production would begin August 3. Instead, "several Model X test vehicles" were built on the updated line to validate it. Also as Elon has already mentioned they plan on building more validation vehicles so that the ramp can be much faster when they start building customer vehicles.

We finally confirmed a rumor. Everyone, celebrate!

AnOutsider noted the original rumor above, that has obviously turned out to be nonsense. The factory was shutdown for a variety of things:

We just concluded a planned one-week Fremont factory shutdown and made changes in stamping, Model S body center, drive unit production, battery module and pack production and general assembly to allow for an elevated level of production and efficiency.

I'd conclude that the rumor was half-true, which is probably the case with most of the rumors that spring up.