Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took the factory tour (thank you Doug!). I did the tour in December 2013 when I picked up my S. The contrast between what I saw on that tour, and what I saw this afternoon, was astonishing. The current running assembly line, "Line 1", is in a different area than it used to be, and is greatly expanded from 2013. It was humming! The new assembly line, "Line 2", appears to be in place but is not yet in operation. I did not see any bodies going down Line 2, but only saw a small part of it and we didn't stop to look at it.

At one point our tour guide stopped and we walked up onto a catwalk that runs across a part of Line 1 where the robots were doing spot welds on the "bodies in white" (unpainted body shells). It was fascinating to be looking down on that action.

The tour covered many areas of Line 1, from the stamping presses to initial body assembly to almost the very end (didn't see cars driving away from final inspection but did see final steps such as mounting wheels/tires and the cars were complete and ready to roll). I noticed that compared to 2013 when motors were assembled upstairs and we saw nothing of that process, now motors are being built on the main floor in plain view.

Areas of the plant that I saw in 2013 that were dark and dingy and unused are now full of equipment, parts, and people. And the tour guide was excellent, very informative. All in all a very impressive experience particularly when I could contrast it with what I saw just 18 months ago.

I want to do it again next year to see Line 2 in action!

Oh, just one more thing...near the end of Line 1, sitting in an enclosed area just off the line but clearly visible, was a black Model X with no interior pieces installed at all, the Falcon Wing doors were fully raised, I don't think it had front doors on it. So it was more of a painted shell with Falcon Wing doors on it. Our guide said something like "There's something that is not an S" and grinned.

I just took the factory tour (thank you Doug!). I did the tour in December 2013 when I picked up my S. The contrast between what I saw on that tour, and what I saw this afternoon, was astonishing. The current running assembly line, "Line 1", is in a different area than it used to be, and is greatly expanded from 2013. It was humming! The new assembly line, "Line 2", appears to be in place but is not yet in operation. I did not see any bodies going down Line 2, but only saw a small part of it and we didn't stop to look at it.

At one point our tour guide stopped and we walked up onto a catwalk that runs across a part of Line 1 where the robots were doing spot welds on the "bodies in white" (unpainted body shells). It was fascinating to be looking down on that action.

The tour covered many areas of Line 1, from the stamping presses to initial body assembly to almost the very end (didn't see cars driving away from final inspection but did see final steps such as mounting wheels/tires and the cars were complete and ready to roll). I noticed that compared to 2013 when motors were assembled upstairs and we saw nothing of that process, now motors are being built on the main floor in plain view.

Areas of the plant that I saw in 2013 that were dark and dingy and unused are now full of equipment, parts, and people. And the tour guide was excellent, very informative. All in all a very impressive experience particularly when I could contrast it with what I saw just 18 months ago.

I want to do it again next year to see Line 2 in action!

Oh, just one more thing...near the end of Line 1, sitting in an enclosed area just off the line but clearly visible, was a black Model X with no interior pieces installed at all, the Falcon Wing doors were fully raised, I don't think it had front doors on it. So it was more of a painted shell with Falcon Wing doors on it. Our guide said something like "There's something that is not an S" and grinned.

Dito. .. except on my tour a few days ago... no MX.

Woohoo!!! Looks like I get to go on Sunday, at 10:30.
Can I catch a ride with anyone down there if they have the same slot?
I didn't have the James Bond underwater feature enabled so couldn't bring it across the Pacific.

I get the feeling that the MX was a plant on purpose. Hence why it didn't have any interior to it. Unless they were just trying to run it through the body in white and paint shop for validation testing of the process. Still, seems fishy like it was a plant. Either way, I hope it looked as awesome as all the various photos floating around hint at it looking! Can't wait for the unveiling!

I get the feeling that the MX was a plant on purpose. Hence why it didn't have any interior to it. Unless they were just trying to run it through the body in white and paint shop for validation testing of the process. Still, seems fishy like it was a plant. Either way, I hope it looked as awesome as all the various photos floating around hint at it looking! Can't wait for the unveiling!

like the commercial battery pack...totally planted ;>

I doubt the X body I saw on my tour was a "plant" to get the attention of people on the tour. We drove by it just as fast as every other part of the tour and the tour guide made an offhand reference to it without even using the word "X". It was not moving along the line, it was just sitting there behind some of the many clear plastic panels that are used to protect people from machinery.

Did anybody see (or hear of) anything related to the 400 mile range Roadster "3.0" upgrade?

Did anybody see (or hear of) anything related to the 400 mile range Roadster "3.0" upgrade?

No. Sorry, didn't ask. The question was asked, however, at the TMConnect when Ricardo Reyes was speaking. It was a veritable roadster rest of questions during his Q&A in fact. He couldn't give any guarantees but expected 3.0 to be released "in the next few months". He admitted that that was subject to 'Elon time'.

The factory has changed so much since I picked up my car over 2 years ago. Was very impressed, but wish the tour could have been more in depth. It seemed like we were rushed through while the workers were on break so didn't get to see the lines running like my first tour. Looks like a real factory now. Can't wait till next year to see the new line they are finishing up.

Thanks for organizing the tours!