Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed RH camera after one day of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still loving the car but the right hand side camera has stopped working just after using the autopilot for the first time. Anyone had this? Tried rebooting etc, no luck.

Scheduled a service appointment but it's 2 weeks on Thursday! Is that the usual procedure to fault correct a one day old car?

Everything else is really good though.

A two week wait for service isn't too bad. I had to wait about 6 weeks to get about half the problems my car had on delivery day fixed, and the rest were fixed over a period of about another 6 months or so. I picked my car up in November last year, last fix for a fault that was present on the car when I picked it up was the middle of July this year, so around 8 months in total from picking the car up to getting the last manufacturing fault fixed on it.

2 weeks doesn't seem all that bad, especially at the moment "new normal cliche".

I struggle to get responses from my dealership lately (I'm finally picking up my model 3 in a couple of weeks), and the best appointment they could offer for service and MOT, I had to book well over a month in advance - and they still didn't do the "full" normal service to include wash etc.

I'm so excited to be ditching dealerships, I'm aware of the tesla teething troubles but at least they're not only set up to take my money in any way they can.

It might help if you could be more specific, there are two cameras on each side, and why do you think it's failed? Does the error message tell you anything more specific?

The pillar cameras often have moisture and could do with a wipe, and both will get blinded by the sun when its low in the sky..

is there a way of forcing a ground-up camera re-calibration ? similar to the process the car does when new ?

wondering if this could trigger an internal reset on the camera feeds into the computer. any hidden menus etc

is there a way of forcing a ground-up camera re-calibration ? similar to the process the car does when new ?

Yes. Its in the service menu and new to 2020.32.x

But doesn't sound like this problem is that.

As @Tony Hoyle says, one for a reboot then if it persists, a service centre. You soon get use to doing reboots to fix issues.

Worth mentioning for anyone stumbling on this, its now the season for cameras to suffer from 'blocking' issues, either from dew or frost (if you need Autopilot, wipe the cameras before driving) or internal misting which has been designated 'normal' unless does not clear after an hour or so.

Last edited:
I've got a similar issue, on what I think is my left hand side camera. Get the Autopilot Cameras unavailable message on the screen. Dashcam footage doesn't show anything on the left hand side, so I presume that's the faulty one. Picked up the car on Friday. It's a bit annoying, but there's plenty of other things to enjoy in the meantime - I've got a 3 week service visit wait.

Picked up my M3LR today from Heathrow. Autopilot did not calibrate on the way home. Looked at Cameras when I arrived home and drivers side camera not available, just spinning wheel. Logged it on app. Winchester called 10 mins later and will swap the part tomorrow morning. Impressive but should have been found pre-delivery.

Picked up my M3LR today from Heathrow. Autopilot did not calibrate on the way home. Looked at Cameras when I arrived home and drivers side camera not available, just spinning wheel. Logged it on app. Winchester called 10 mins later and will swap the part tomorrow morning. Impressive but should have been found pre-delivery.

I'm convinced that Tesla just don't do the normal PDI, they save money by getting their customers to find faults in the cars, and waste lots of customer's time by getting them to take the cars back for defect correction (often more than once).