Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure of Traction, Stability, Emergency autobraking, and Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X P90D (AP1, FW version 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d) experienced failure of three safety systems (Traction, Stability, and Emergency Autobraking were disabled) as well as Traffic-Aware Cruise Control within about 15 miles on the road: clear, dry conditions. The TACC went out first, followed by the three other systems a few minutes later. This has happened four times. All systems reset when I turn off the car (leave it in P), work for a few miles, and fail again.

At the same time, the steering wheel rest position and straight-ahead steering position is 10deg CW. The car drifts with the wheel held steady as if subject to cross-winds, but there are none. Also, it jerks right under full pedal acceleration, then snaps back straight when the pedal is released.

All tires are at 44 psi.

The Charge Port has now decided to open on its own and won't stay closed with the Touchscreen, iPhone app, or manually closing it.

Anyone had any similar experiences and solutions? Your advice will be sincerely appreciated.

My X has been at the Telsa service center for three working days now. I asked them to trailer it from my home as I don't think it is road-worthy, especially in the rain.

I need to know just what exactly is going on and the fix(es).

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

My Model X P90D (AP1, FW version 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d) experienced failure of three safety systems (Traction, Stability, and Emergency Autobraking were disabled) as well as Traffic-Aware Cruise Control within about 15 miles on the road: clear, dry conditions. The TACC went out first, followed by the three other systems a few minutes later. This has happened four times. All systems reset when I turn off the car (leave it in P), work for a few miles, and fail again.

At the same time, the steering wheel rest position and straight-ahead steering position is 10deg CW. The car drifts with the wheel held steady as if subject to cross-winds, but there are none. Also, it jerks right under full pedal acceleration, then snaps back straight when the pedal is released.

All tires are at 44 psi.

The Charge Port has now decided to open on its own and won't stay closed with the Touchscreen, iPhone app, or manually closing it.

Anyone had any similar experiences and solutions? Your advice will be sincerely appreciated.

My X has been at the Telsa service center for three working days now. I asked them to trailer it from my home as I don't think it is road-worthy, especially in the rain.

Wow that sounds rather scary. My TACC and rain sensing wipers went out today (wipers didnt function at all on either sensitivity setting) & it was a veritable monsoon out there. Regular wiper settings were functional. Same deal- function restored after I parked for a bit.

Autosteer is so variable I'm better off old school, steering w my thigh (not that I recommend that ...;) ).

I am a fan of the brand and like the vehicle in terms of it being electric, good range, good handling, comfort but the term Autopilot should probably be illegal in current form. It's a very Musk-ian term in its whimsical suggestion that the car is self driving, but it's not. The Autosteer panics and darts madly back and forth at many intersections to the point that I could crash into a median and it can't hold it's course on highway sweepers, coming v close to concrete dividers. TACC sometimes v slow to identify vehicles in front to point where need to intervene.

I digress - let us know how you get on!

Cheers
Mark

• Disagree
Reactions: Cowbell
I too experienced “Autopilot” dart and dive drunk driver mode on a couple curvy city roads. I am quite sure it would have struck a curb had I not had firm control of the wheel! I prefer human control in the city else I would be arrested for erratic driving and crossing the center line.

Highway autopilot is quite comfortable, but be cautious passing exit ramps.

New key fob batteries were installed on delivery day. On the SIXTH day they rested!

The SC is sending two new ones by FED EX.

I am going to buy a couple more to duct tape on the undercarriage so we won’t get locked out somewhere after shopping or stranded.

I measured the voltage of the unused key fob at 3.004 volts, and my dying fob is 2.9 volts. The Summon Command was anemic and reluctant.

Is it possible that MX is querying it’s key fob irrationately and wearing the little bat battery out of its mind?

I will test the new battery tomorrow to see how far I can drive with the fob in my wife’s hand at the driveway. Hope she will rescue me if I die two blocks away!

Attachments

• 0EEE395C-77A1-4141-8F91-47C75B28329C.jpeg
    0EEE395C-77A1-4141-8F91-47C75B28329C.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 99
I am a fan of the brand and like the vehicle in terms of it being electric, good range, good handling, comfort but the term Autopilot should probably be illegal in current form. It's a very Musk-ian term in its whimsical suggestion that the car is self driving, but it's not. The Autosteer panics and darts madly back and forth at many intersections to the point that I could crash into a median and it can't hold it's course on highway sweepers, coming v close to concrete dividers. TACC sometimes v slow to identify vehicles in front to point where need to intervene.
AutoPilot is the perfect description. Musk did not invent this term, it has been used by the airline industry for many decades. Tesla's AutoPilot works similar to an airplane's auto-pilot. It's definitely not a co-pilot and if Tesla called it Co-Pilot, then it would definitely be misleading.

Reactions: FarmerDave
I’m not sure about the AP 1 cars but I have a 11/17 build AP2.5 and all those functions are linked to the 2.5 Driver Assistance System Electronic Control Unit. My DAS ECU went bad and TACC, Autopilot, Rain sensing wipers, auto dimming high beams also went out. Service is currently replacing my ECU and they say that the other functions should work after the replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: rw99
@RossRAllen I had a similar experience about a year ago. Suddenly multiple warnings appeared on the dash. Auto pilot disabled, TAAC disabled, emergency braking disabled and so on. Fortunately, I was near the service center. Although it was Saturday afternoon, my service writer had the duty that day and fixed me up with a loaner and took the X in for Monday analysis.

One of the sensors (not sure exactly) on a wheel mechanism providing feedback to the electronics had broken. It was quickly diagnosed, by reading the logs. Not sure how the sensor was broken/damaged. At the time I was driving on surface street with pot-holes. Was odd but quickly resolved.

Reactions: RossRAllen

All tires are at 44 psi.

I'm sure the armchair mechanics here will come up with some creative ideas. However, I think the Tesla Service Center is your best bet. They should know exactly what is going on. We can only speculate.
As far as I know, it sounds like your Tesla is haunted.

Unless you wrap them in foil they will be dead when you need them from constant queries and your car will never get its much needed sleep.

I believe Gregmn was storing extra batteries, not fobs. Definitely don't want to wrap batteries in foil.

I placed our spare fob in an RFI shielded pouch within a few weeks of getting our car. It worked great for storing the fab near the car, wouldn't wake the car or unlock it. However, the battery was dead in less than 6 months The fob I carry in my pocket all day still works fine after 10 months. So I'm not sure shielding the fob helps battery life at all.

All tires are at 44 psi.

@RossRAllen I had a similar experience about a year ago. Suddenly multiple warnings appeared on the dash. Auto pilot disabled, TAAC disabled, emergency braking disabled and so on. Fortunately, I was near the service center. Although it was Saturday afternoon, my service writer had the duty that day and fixed me up with a loaner and took the X in for Monday analysis.

One of the sensors (not sure exactly) on a wheel mechanism providing feedback to the electronics had broken. It was quickly diagnosed, by reading the logs. Not sure how the sensor was broken/damaged. At the time I was driving on surface street with pot-holes. Was odd but quickly resolved.

Sounds like a flaky steering angle sensor to me.

My X has been in the Tesla SC for 11 days. The ECU was replaced to fix the radar (TACC) problem, since it was v.1.

Although a full wheel alignment was performed in December, and I have no recollection of hitting any potholes etc., the RR wheel was seriously misaligned in Toe. This, they claim, caused its rotational speed to be different than the other wheels triggering the Traction, Stability, and Emergency Braking systems to disengage because of inconsistent data. Who knew?

The out-of-Toe was claimed to have caused the hard pull to the right upon acceleration as well.

I’m looking forward to seeing the tire depth measurements taken a month and about 1500 miles apart thanks to the misalignment.

Now, front axles, half-shafts, and jackshaft are being replaced because of the “grinding sound” upon acceleration that many have complained about. The SC Manager authorized this after test driving my car personally. The forum is divided as to whether or not this fixes the problem.

Parts for the front end are on backorder, and it could be another two weeks before I get my X back.

Hi, Ross! Sorry your X was jinXed... and glad they're getting it fiXed. I didn't know about what all things Tesla checked that might have caused the problems, though I once had radar quit, killing TACC. It recovered the next day, and I wondered if there was something on it. Nothing near as exciting as what you've had.

We got our 3 a couple weeks ago and have near a thousand miles on it already, with no problems other than I don't know how to work the screen, which is all the controls. You may pass us sitting on the side of the road looking like trouble, but we're just punching things seeing which will put the air on the window at the right temp, or figuring out which "Lock" function we need to use. It's amazing how easy it is to accidentally touch something else, like seat heat, while trying to touch TACC control.

All tires are at 44 psi.

2017 Model X 100D, delivered 9/27/2017, with Version 2017.50.3 f3425a1, 3,500 miles had two failures in one week in which dash board and viewing screen error message of, "Warning, automatic breaking disabled!" We took our MX into Service Center (SC) to fix this issue. It has now been in service for two days as we await the outcome. Tesla app shows that the SC tried four times to update the software but failed. Checking status at the time of this writing, app now shows software update completed 4mins ago to 2018.4.5 a1d9b92. Will update once we receive our MX from the SC

2017 Model X 100D, delivered 9/27/2017, with Version 2017.50.3 f3425a1, 3,500 miles had two failures in one week in which dash board and viewing screen error message of, "Warning, automatic breaking disabled!" We took our MX into Service Center (SC) to fix this issue. It has now been in service for two days as we await the outcome. Tesla app shows that the SC tried four times to update the software but failed. Checking status at the time of this writing, app now shows software update completed 4mins ago to 2018.4.5 a1d9b92. Will update once we receive our MX from the SC
UPDATE: Service was completed 2/8th with description of work showing that, "Vehicle alerts general diagnosis, found to be known firmware bug issue. Performed latest firmware update to 18.4.87." Drive around LA last night was perfect with no issues.

UPDATE: Service was completed 2/8th with description of work showing that, "Vehicle alerts general diagnosis, found to be known firmware bug issue. Performed latest firmware update to 18.4.87." Drive around LA last night was perfect with no issues.

Thank you, LJ32.

My X is STILL in the shop awaiting parts. I keep getting SW Update notifications from MX 100 miles away, but still on 2018.2 0eddd23. I wonder of there's anything later?