Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Doors never open full length all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. It's sporadic and hard to figure out why. Most recently, the vehicle was outside with nothing close laterally and tree folage about 5 feet above the highest point of the FWD when fully raised.

Does it open to full when you don't have anything above you, including tree branches? There's an upward pointing sensor that can detect overhead obstacles. Maybe the software is playing it safe with all the reported parking garage problems.

Elon said at the Annual Meeting that the door software was plagued with issues, but it will get sorted out in a month's time. They will move from being worse that regular doors to being better than any door in existence. Here's hoping...

I've noticed the same thing, and I think you (that is, your body / legs) are actually triggering the proximity sensor.

There are sensors on the sides of the car to determine how far away the adjacent car/wall/object is, and the doors will try to avoid hitting any objects it detects.

The sensors are not very robust yet. For example, if you stand next to the car and click the driver's door, it often only opens by 6 inches and not the whole way. The reason is that the car thinks your body next to the falcon-wing is an obstruction, and the driver's door (which is unobstructed) will not open all the way.

I think the same thing happens with the falcon wing door... In the fully open position, the door actually sticks out to the sides by an extra few inches. I don't think there is a sensor that looks "up and to the side". Only "to the side". So if it only senses 12" of clearance because it senses your body, it won't want to open the door all the way.

For what it is worth, this is a problem in low parking garages, where structural beams are often pretty low. The car will think it has plenty of side clearance and open all the way, only to hit a low hanging beam in a parking garage :(
I've come close to hitting it the ceiling in a parking garage a few times

I've noticed the same thing, and I think you (that is, your body / legs) are actually triggering the proximity sensor.

There are sensors on the sides of the car to determine how far away the adjacent car/wall/object is, and the doors will try to avoid hitting any objects it detects.

The sensors are not very robust yet. For example, if you stand next to the car and click the driver's door, it often only opens by 6 inches and not the whole way. The reason is that the car thinks your body next to the falcon-wing is an obstruction, and the driver's door (which is unobstructed) will not open all the way.

I think the same thing happens with the falcon wing door... In the fully open position, the door actually sticks out to the sides by an extra few inches. I don't think there is a sensor that looks "up and to the side". Only "to the side". So if it only senses 12" of clearance because it senses your body, it won't want to open the door all the way.

For what it is worth, this is a problem in low parking garages, where structural beams are often pretty low. The car will think it has plenty of side clearance and open all the way, only to hit a low hanging beam in a parking garage :(
I've come close to hitting it the ceiling in a parking garage a few times

The "low hanging beam" that's not the rails the garage door rollers rides on, is it?

I have yet to see the problem when completely out in the open, but I did have it happen again while in my garage, which has a horizontal drywall ceiling at almost 12 feet from the floor with nothing hanging down. I had opened the door with my remote and then walked over minutes later and hit my head and almost my eye on the bottom edge of the door because I didn't look carefully at how high it was. This is similar to my tree issue. The lowest leaves of that tree were probably 11 feet off the ground. The central sensor between the FWDs in the roof presumably is as accurate as the ones around the perimeter of the car which seem reasonably good. I'm assuming the sensor in the doors aren't playing as much of a role in ultimate FWD opening height? I agree that this might be intentional in the software, but it's pretty conservative if you can get your FWDs fully up in a 12' high room. Also, the problem doesn't happen all of the time which makes it seem to be more of a sensing inconsistency. Perhaps both?

Does it open to full when you don't have anything above you, including tree branches? There's an upward pointing sensor that can detect overhead obstacles. Maybe the software is playing it safe with all the reported parking garage problems.