Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Neither than article nor the original Verge article says what rules they violated.

one line of supposition is that FAA wants a new application every time spacex swaps an engine.

This would be problematic with superheavy + starship having dozens of engines. SpaceX wants to just do an application per flight and swap whatever hardware they need as needed.

the other common line of supposition is that FAA is concerned with exclusion zones and physical security (keeping people out of the exclusion zones).

either way apparently SN8 was the ship/flight that violated and triggered the FAA wrath. SN9 is just sitting around because of what already happened.

one line of supposition is that FAA wants a new application every time spacex swaps an engine.

This would be problematic with superheavy + starship having dozens of engines. SpaceX wants to just do an application per flight and swap whatever hardware they need as needed.

the other common line of supposition is that FAA is concerned with exclusion zones and physical security (keeping people out of the exclusion zones).

either way apparently SN8 was the ship/flight that violated and triggered the FAA wrath. SN9 is just sitting around because of what already happened.
Is FAA the new SEC?

150167545_10224927273705097_472687806698277186_n.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf and JRP3
Am partial to this image of it. Sweet baby Jesus...
EwyylGJWYAA22LL

Where is the "sweet baby Jesus" button when you need it.

I lose track of all of the moving parts - is the intent that once this reaches production, this tower will be doing the belly flop thing when it returns to Earth?

I went with Funny, but .. uhm .. wow.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
I lose track of all of the moving parts - is the intent that once this reaches production, this tower will be doing the belly flop thing when it returns to Earth?
I believe the plan is that Super Heavy boosters will have grid fins, but not flaps or landing legs. They will do a re-entry burn and landing burn similar to Falcon 9. They will then be caught by their grid fins using some sort of "arms" attached to the launch tower. Believe it or not.

1616183187218.png

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I believe the plan is that Super Heavy boosters will have grid fins, but not flaps or landing legs. They will do a re-entry burn and landing burn similar to Falcon 9. They will then be caught by their grid fins using some sort of "arms" attached to the launch tower. Believe it or not.

View attachment 646019
What an amazing world and time we live in.

A little bit different than playing catch in the back yard!