Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

falcon wing didn't detect a low hanging pipe to hit it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a similar issue with a pipe hanging over the rear hatch. The sensors don't detect it and the hatch opens until the spoiler hits the pipe.

The geolocation setting for full opening doesn't appear to work correctly, we haven't found any way to adjust the rear hatch low in that location and open fully in all other locations.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
We too had the exact problem and had to pay 1200 Swiss francs (~1200USD) for a new glass. Tesla didn’t cover it.

The problem I have with this is the FWD isn’t like a conventional door where I can easily tell if it would hit something before opening the door. In my mind if Tesla puts the FWD in the car they should be able to detect anything in the path of the door and stop the door from opening as wide.

Unfortunately like many things on a Tesla, the FWD sensor works but not 100%. Is this something i should just accept as an owner?

I’d like to hear if people think I should escalate it.

Unfortunately, you're on the hook for it. I think that's pretty lame, if Tesla is going to have these fancy doors touted as being able to automatically open in tight spaces then they should be on the hook for the sensors functioning sufficiently to do so. While I'm happy with my S, I wouldn't get an X and I recommend friends against the X for this type of reason.

It's also one of the reasons I think FSD will forever be vaporware. If Tesla can't consistently open a door without crashing it into something, I have zero belief they'll autonomously drive a car. But that's a whole different issue.

Pic. Sorry my wife forgot to picture the original crime scene so this is what we have so far.

Tesla service center said they are even not bothering with glass replacement these days. I guess it's probably due to the massive car break in in this area. Instead they just referred two local third-party vendors.

I just got a quote from one of them, $1373.00 + TAX. This is even higher than the last time we got the windshield replaced.

Not sure whether we should file a claim with our insurance's comprehensive coverage or continue fighting with Tesla, or just eat the cost, :(

Attachments

• IMG_7823.jpeg
    IMG_7823.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 202
Insurance vs eating the cost is up to your own unique situation. What is your deductible and does a glass claim count as a strike against you?

I’m going to self-pay for a rear roof glass replacement on our Model 3 because a glass claim will count against us. Additionally, we have a high deductible, so I just makes more sense to self-pay. It’s $811 in case anyone is interested; caused by a rock chip.

Tesla isn’t going to cover anything, so don’t waste your time going that route. You’d probably have better luck lecturing your wife on observing her surroundings, although I don’t recommend that, either. ;)

Tesla isn’t going to cover anything, so don’t waste your time going that route. You’d probably have better luck lecturing your wife on observing her surroundings, although I don’t recommend that, either. ;)

I believe she has been lectured by the cost thus now the car is on me, ;). But to be fair for her, the door's behaviour is somewhat inconsistent. After the car was parked and door was opened for the first time, it properly stopped without hitting anything. It was the time she came back to open the door from the outside to put the kid in, it ignored the pipe and hit the pipe. Even if she watched the whole process, I don't think she could pick the right knob/action to stop it from kissing.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I had the same thing happen to my X one month into the ownership. Left FWD opened without clearing the side mirror of the car next to me, as if it's not there (it could easily clear it by going up further then open wide, but instead it opened normally by going up a little then immediately open wide, hitting the side mirror and stopped). Fortunately it's the bottom part (black hard plastic) of the FWD that hit the side mirror, which is also made of hard black plastic and is not painted. Therefore there is no damage at all.

This incidence along with others I read here made me aware that FWD censor is not good at detecting odd shaped obstacles, like protruding side mirror, low hanging pipes, etc. However, if there is a big, more uniformed object, such as low ceiling, another car, a person, etc, it is pretty reliable based on my experience.

What's a little crazy is the glass is $1100 and labor to install is$75...in Seattle. Sometimes I think they should use some type of plastic so it'd flex instead of crack... Here's our pain. Planning to use a windshield repair kit on it to protect it and cover with PPF till the prices drop some day or it happens again:(

Attachments

• 20190623_091942.jpg
    20190623_091942.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190623_091946.jpg
    20190623_091946.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 92