Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wings open from key fob signal while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that Tesla does not intend for the FWDs to be able to open or be partially open when the car is in D or R. I think the OPs accident was not supposed to be possible. But I am only guessing.

How about you Model X owners ask your local showroom or service center if the FWDs are supposed to be openable with the car in D or R?

One thing to remember is that if the door malfunctions (as mine has) and represents itself as slightly open, locking out drive capabilities would strand a person. Obviously a weird way to work around a problem, but it would have made our X a brick at one point.

I for one don't want Tesla to dictate how I drive. If I'm driving in the rain and going to pick up my wife up at the curb, I would like to start opening the doors just prior to reaching her, to minimize how wet she gets. The inverse is that if the doors are closing, I'd like to start driving prior them being completely closed.

Of course, the above scenarios are all in the wide open, where the risk of the doors coming in contact with anything is next to zero. The doors cannot make that assessment, so all I'm saying is that I want to make those decisions and I will be held responsible for the outcome. I don't expect Tesla to think up every corner case and program that into my vehicle. That's the problem with the legal system in the US. It makes people try to find someone else to be held accountable for their bad decisions.

I'm certain you don't mean it this way, but I sense a guaranteed decapitation in this scenario.
Of course I don't mean it that way...I'd like to time it so that when I stop, the door will already be open so she can quickly enter. I'd expect her to be under some shelter, so she will be moving towards the car as I approach. No chance for decapitation. We're both responsible adults. ;)

Of course I don't mean it that way...I'd like to time it so that when I stop, the door will already be open so she can quickly enter. I'd expect her to be under some shelter, so she will be moving towards the car as I approach. No chance for decapitation. We're both responsible adults. ;)
Of course. But.. guaranteed. If I have to get out the diagrams, I will.

I for one don't want Tesla to dictate how I drive. If I'm driving in the rain and going to pick up my wife up at the curb, I would like to start opening the doors just prior to reaching her, to minimize how wet she gets. The inverse is that if the doors are closing, I'd like to start driving prior them being completely closed.
I don't mind an override controlled by the driver, but the default should be for the car to NOT allow the FWDs to be open when shifting to D, R, or N, nor allow the FWDs to be opened while the Model X is in motion. Then everyone gets what they want: you can decapitate your wife when picking her up in the rain, and fewer people will damage their FWDs.

I can't even imagine what Tesla was thinking allowing the car to be put into D when the FWDs are open, and allowing the FWDs to open when one is already in D at low speeds. Tesla should have known this was a disaster waiting to happen, and that is why Tesla should cover the repair cost. This isn't like someone opening a normal door manually, where they can quickly close the door when they sense the car moving (because the driver didn't know the passenger had opened the rear door). These doors are mechanical and stick up over the height of the car, and do not close quickly. Nor is the "chime" easily distinguishable from every other ding, bing, and dong the car makes, and it isn't very loud either inside the cabin.

I also can't believe that after seeing this thread, Tesla hasn't released a firmware update to solve the problem! Tell me when it would be a useful "feature" to have the car drive with the FWDs open! This will happen to more people, and it will create more negative press.

Firmware updates aren't made overnight. They have to be coded, checked, rechecked, tested, tested again, and deployed out to the entire fleet in stages. Not everyone will get them at the same time, and even when it is deployed, some people may not have cell reception or be able to confirm the new firmware installation.

There's another thread where some X owners had a "Key not detected error" and there was a new firmware update that remedied that exact problem. Don't assume that they aren't working on it or that they don't read the forums and take user posts into account.

The leather pouch is a firm leather holder with a key ring that the fob fits into. A lot of times they give you one with the car. I would guess it's just a throw in extra that some locations do, so maybe not everyone gets one.

The accidentally pushing buttons in pocket is an ongoing problem with all key fobs in all cars of all makes. No one has come up with a good solution for it yet. This results in situations like the car getting unlocked, or coming out and finding all of your windows down, or in this case, a door opening. A firm fob holder helps solve the problem, but it's incredibly annoying having to constantly take the fob in and out of a holder, so I don't think that's a good solution. I'd like to see something like a biometric lock, where it locks after a brief period of no use, and has to be unlocked with a finger print; kind of like how you can set up the new iPhones to unlock with a finger print on the home button. It wouldn't necessarily need to authenticate exactly who the user is, so long as it verifies a finger activated it. Yes, you then wouldn't be able to use it with gloves on, and it would cost more, but IMO it would be worth it to eliminate the "butt dialing" of key fobs. If that uses too much energy or can't be done for other reasons, come up with something else -- anything else -- to help solve this problem. Especially if key fobs start being able to do things like controlling summon.

It would be worth taking a closer look at the X to see if it has any more serious problems relating to the door opening. Basically, the fob probably shouldn't work when the car is running (at the very least, the door buttons shouldn't work). Also, if the door is opened, it should indicate this on the dash. Furthermore, it should get noticeably more upset at you if you start driving with a door ajar. Both of these could be easily tested by any X owner.
My key for my 2012 Toyota Camry doesn't work for the doors nor trunk when my car is on. I would have thought that this was a no-brainer and a standard feature on all cars with key fobs, no less on a Tesla!

I cringe to think about this happening to
Me, let alone anyone else.

I feel awful for Mark :(

To have to keep the fob in a holder, kind of defeats it's purpose of being easy to use and convenient.

I have faith in Tesla, that this will be rectified and if not the full cost covered for Mark, perhaps a shared or heavily discounted cost.