Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wings open from key fob signal while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, sorry to hear of your misfortune here and thanks for sharing the cautionary tale.
It could have very well happened to me as I always have the key fobs in my pocket. I like the idea of indenting the buttons on the fob or have a small indent that needs to be pressed for activating any of the button (simultaneously)

Reactions: Mark Bowles
Maybe it would be best to carry the fob as an Xecklace (necklace) like people carry their work ids.;)

You may have been joking, but I think that's a great idea and one that I'll consider. I'll probably adopt a few options and switch it up, depending on the circumstances. The FOB is cute and all, but not very practical. They may have been better with a more traditional shape (e.g. rectangular or a credit card form factor). That would have provided more useful carrying options.

Someone with an X test it and see how it behaves.

Just the other day I thought my S didn't have a warning about driving off without the key, but then I tested it, and sure enough it does.

Most cars have some sort of chime + visual indicator if door is ajar while in drive. The X should as well. But they might need to make it more attention grabbing. I'll test this in my S later just to see how it behaves as a comparison point.
I haven't had a chance to test my S yet (wife has it today), but I did see a video for The Drive where the guy opened the falcon wing door and drove forward a bit. It appeared to show the door open in a red color, and when in drive it had a chime and a warning that appeared on the display. So that part seems okay. I am curious though to see if the fob will open the door when in drive. I suppose another interesting thing I could do with my S is put it in drive and try opening the rear trunk with my fob. Ideally, it shouldn't open.

Argh - what a disaster - but seems fixable in software, i.e., behavior such as
  • Door will not open with key fob command if vehicle is in motion, or -
  • You have to hold the key fob button for 3 seconds before door will open (Mercedes uses this on some fob trunk opener buttons)

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Some kind of long-press + short-press combination may also work.

Thanks. Maybe recessed buttons on the fob would help, especially for the Falcon wing doors because they are so vulnerable. Or perhaps don't allow the car to roll forward, period, unless the falcon wing doors are latched. What's the real world need for moving forward while the falcon wing doors are open other than onstage at the product launch? Another easy fix might be to simply disable the key fob signals when the car is being operated from the drivers seat. However, I'm not sure if the signal from the key fob was sent just before I pressed the brake and pulled it into gear, or just after. It all happened within a few seconds. The door may have been on its way up, or it could have opened the realized I was beginning to operate the car and tried to close the falcon wing and it could have been on its way down. Again, it happened in just a few seconds. But I think the car shouldn't be allowed to move without those falcon wing doors latched. Seems dangerous to do otherwise.

I think you''d want the car to be drivable even if the door sensor has failed. But a warning as you pull away with the door open would be helpful.

And yes, recessed fob buttons are very handy. Our Volt's fob does not have recessed buttons and it makes it hard to use the fob by feel, and I think it makes it easier to do a pocket press. In contrast, I can use our Prius fob with it in my pocket, with gloves on and don't get many pocket presses either.

I don't think we ruled out a sw bug that could have caused this yet. I think we need to not jump to conclusions until Tesla has fully diagnosed this but proceed with caution and be very attentive to what is going on with our cars in situations where proximity is an issue.

I was thinking that the double-click was a clever way to avoid the inadvertent single-click in the pocket. I guess nothing is fool proof.

The obvious fix would be to eliminate all the beeps that are essentially the same (I do not doubt that the OP mistook the door ajar beep for the fasten seat belt beep, I have a basic policy of not driving if something is beeping, but I understand where the OP is coming from here). I would add voice warnings (if my RC transmitter can do it, so can Tesla!) for key things: "door ajar", "achtung! Tur", etc.

I am stunned that the SW would allow any door to open when the car is not only in drive, but moving. Preventing that strikes as the most basic of safety features. Simply unbelievable.

Can you name a vehicle that prevents you from opening a door when in motion? If you can, I'm sure I can name 10 for each one you list that does allow it.;)