Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False Advertising - 2014 S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In December 2017 When I bought my CPO Dec 2014 build MS with 58k it charged to 202 rated miles. In 6 months and 10k miles it now charges to 186-189 on full charge. Tesla can run remote diagnostics if you contact them via the owner portal on your tesla.com account.

My car still has approx 52kWh available as registered from my latest trip meter when road tripping last month. 4% left when I arrived at supercharger.

Attachments

• 2EB60ADD-943E-4614-8FC6-FF25477E60D3.jpeg
    2EB60ADD-943E-4614-8FC6-FF25477E60D3.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 59
If the prior owner left the car sitting around at 100% or very low charge for extended periods of time, it would have a detrimental effect on the battery pack's capacity. Tesla's battery management technology is actually some of the best out there--for example, I have a '13 P85 with 115K miles on it and only have ~6% loss. As others have said, your 17% loss is an outlier. Has service actually checked your pack out or is the comment noted in the initial post from a phone call? With that kind of loss, I would ask service to check for some kind of defect--I think they can do that remotely.
. This
Easy they could have set it to charge to 100% all the time and left it fully charged. That causes excessive degradation, as does leaving it near 0%. Excessive heat, or cold, can also cause issues.

That is why almost everyone checks the range at a 100% charge to get an idea of what state the battery is in when they are buying a used Tesla.
I appreciate the verbal scolding and the implication of how dumb it was to not let it fully charge. I am not sure where to begin with this comment.

Lets start here - I am being told by some on this forum and both the Tesla Techs that the car adjusts its max charge capacity based on prior driving and charging behaviors and patterns. As such, the way to get a proper read on the max battery capacity is to do things like run the pack down to < 10% .. then charge it to 100% for a few days. How exactly am I supposed to do that to a car I don’t own? Also, I brought it to Tesla and they gave it a clean bill of health.

Next I’m being told by some in this forum how incredibly smart and effective the battery management system is. Really? So smart that charging it to max capacity ruins it. If it we’re smart maybe it shouldn’t let the user perform a full charge repeatedly if the system predicts battery damage.

So thank you for the condescending “almost every checks the range at 100% charge ...” comment. Does almost everyone bring their used Tesla to a Tesla SC and get lied to that the car is in good health?

Thank you for the reply and I have tried that for a week now ... no improvement. What if I need 190 miles out of the pack? It’s either a bad battery or rediculous amount of time needed to build to its full charge. Either way .... it’s bad

Driver more conservatively, and you will go further on the same energy (watch the power meter).
The nav screen on the center console display should give you a somewhat accurate range estimate based on how you are currently driving. If you set your destination, it will try to predict how much energy you will have (or lack) when you get there.
(I think, ,I have gotten the 3 or so ranges estimators confused tin the past...)

Next I’m being told by some in this forum how incredibly smart and effective the battery management system is. Really? So smart that charging it to max capacity ruins it. If it we’re smart maybe it shouldn’t let the user perform a full charge repeatedly if the system predicts battery damage.
Charging to Max capacity does not ruin the battery. Charging the battery to 100% frequently, and then letting it sit there, particularly when it is hot out can cause increased degradation. That is not the same thing as ruining it. The user should be smart enough to understand the ramifications of charging to 100%.

Now buy a used car the responsibility falls on the buyer to do their do diligence on the overall state of the car, including the battery. It sounds like the OP did that to some extent by talking to Tesla. However they failed to ask the buyer what a 100% charge was on the car, which is a perfectly reasonable question to ask and something the seller should have been willing to divulge.

As for the snippy tone you're getting op, that's because you came in here claiming false advertising from Tesla, on 4 year old used car, which is just utter nonsense. If you had come in questioning if Tesla should replace the battery under warranty, or if that level of degradation was normal you would have gotten a very different tone of response.

So in summary... Tesla themselves (the Westmont IL. Serice Center - Chris S. to be very specific) claimed the car is in good health... when it’s not (but the average consumer is supposed to know). In addition if the car is left left in the heat and/or if charged to 100% frequently it becomes damaged. Got it! Kinda feel sorry for the owners in Florida with long commutes.

Thanks

So in summary... Tesla themselves (the Westmont IL. Serice Center - Chris S. to be very specific) claimed the car is in good health... when it’s not (but the average consumer is supposed to know). In addition if the car is left left in the heat and/or if charged to 100% frequently it becomes damaged. Got it! Kinda feel sorry for the owners in Florida with long commutes.

Thanks

Further, heat alone does not impact a partially charged pack (the and/ or is only an and).

Thanks
I think you will find that people here are willing to give with their time to help new owners understand things, and provide advice, but do not respond well to hyperbole or when the poster is deliberately being obtuse.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Zythryn
I think you will find that people here are willing to give with their time to help new owners understand things, and provide advice, but do not respond well to hyperbole or when the poster is deliberately being obtuse.
No question people have been helpful however I can pick up on the very obvious bend. It’s akin to joining CrossFit, getting injured and have every non injured crossfitter claim “it’s not the workout ... it’s you... you did it wrong”. Nevermind the mounting evidence that the workout is inherently dangerous.

No one has been able to account for Tesla giving the car a clean bill of health before I bought the car (hence the heading “False Advertising). If the car has a clean bill of health from Tesla themselves, then why should I expect the pack to charge to such an unacceptable level? If you feel compelled to defend the POV that I as a consumer should have more technical wisdom than the Tesla Technicians before I bought the car, then I suppose we agree to disagree.

No one has been able to account for Tesla giving the car a clean bill of health before I bought the car (hence the heading “False Advertising).

The clean bill of health is probably related to nothing being broken. The battery is not broken, as gradual degradation is expected and is explicitly excluded from being covered by the battery warranty.

On the other hand if the original owner had said that it lost 10% of its battery capacity overnight, that would have been covered by the warranty and Telsa would have fixed it. (We have seen reports from other people here on TMC that had this happen.)

If the car has a clean bill of health from Tesla themselves, then why should I expect the pack to charge to such an unacceptable level?

There is no official stated "unacceptable level" of pack capacity on the Model S&X. (As long as the decrease is "gradual".)

For the Model 3 the unacceptable level is below 70% of original capacity, and you haven't gotten that level of capacity loss yet.

Last edited: