Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fantastic Tesla 90D Lease deals for someone ready to jump on it now -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thursday, I put a deposit on the following:

Model S 90D Demo with 23 miles on the odometer
Deep Blue Metallic ($1,000)
Glass Roof ($1,500)
Tan Leather interior w/ White headliner ($3,300)
Carbon Fiber Decor ($250)
Enhanced Autopilot ($5,000)
Premium Upgrades Package ($3,500)
Smart Air Suspension ($2,500)
Ultra High Fidelity Sound ($2,500)
MSRP $110,250
Showroom Discount: $20,082
Referral $1,000

$89,168 before tax credit
The car is located in Phoenix, and I don't wan to pay Tesla's $2,000 delivery fee on top of the $1,125 destination charge. So it'll be a 1,750 mile road trip to bring her home.

I started a thread asking for thoughts on Leasing Vs Buying here: Urgent, made down payment. Now need to decide Buy or Lease.

As people have mentioned, the Money Factor is huge 5% APR, while the loan rate is 0.99% (yay free money!) for 72months

36/10K Lease:
$67,036 residual
$793/mnth

36/12K Lease:
$65,933 residual
$822/mnth

36/15K Lease
$64,830 residual
$850/mnth

lease out of pocket: $5K + $1,090 fees + ~$2,450 TTL​

Leasing will result in $37,743 being paid out after 36 months.
Loan will result in $44,079 being paid out at 36 months.
a difference of $6,336 in favor of leasing

However, the principal balance on the loan will be $45,875 after 36months
which means, I would need to sell it for $52,211 to break even. anything over that, the Loan route comes out ahead.

I'm leaning towards buying it, and need to make a decision very soon.
I feel that the 90D would be worth at least $52K after 3yrs. And owning would give me more flexibility regarding, miles drive, when I'd like to sell/trade in etc. Unfortunately I can't take full advantage of the lease business tax write off, so that does not apply

Thoughts? Opinions?

Glass Roof ($1,500)
MSRP $110,250
Referral $1,000

The car is located in Phoenix, and I don't wan to pay Tesla's $2,000 delivery fee on top of the $1,125 destination charge. So it'll be a 1,750 mile road trip to bring her home.

I started a thread asking for thoughts on Leasing Vs Buying here: Urgent, made down payment. Now need to decide Buy or Lease.

As people have mentioned, the Money Factor is huge 5% APR, while the loan rate is 0.99% (yay free money!) for 72months

36/10K Lease:
$67,036 residual
$793/mnth

36/12K Lease:
$65,933 residual
$822/mnth

36/15K Lease
$64,830 residual
$850/mnth

which means, I would need to sell it for $52,211 to break even. anything over that, the Loan route comes out ahead.

I feel that the 90D would be worth at least $52K after 3yrs. And owning would give me more flexibility regarding, miles drive, when I'd like to sell/trade in etc. Unfortunately I can't take full advantage of the lease business tax write off, so that does not apply

Thoughts? Opinions?
So if you go over there an pick it up, you don't have to pay the delivery nor the destination charge?

So if you go over there an pick it up, you don't have to pay the delivery nor the destination charge?

Everyone pays the $1200 delivery fee, even if you pick up in Fremont. But if you pick up you can avoid the $2,000 transportation fee. That fee isn't always applied - only if they have to transfer your car from another zone (for examples, I do not believe there is any fee in CA for a new inventory car moving anywhere else in CA). I didn't pay a fee to move my new inventory car from NY to PA.

Only problem with picking up outside your state is dealing with state taxes. For example, in NJ there is no sales tax for an EV but if you pick up in CA to avoid the $2,000 transportation fee you have to pay CA tax which is many multiples of the $2,000 transportation fee. So there you are much better off paying the fee.

Everyone pays the $1200 delivery fee, even if you pick up in Fremont. But if you pick up you can avoid the $2,000 transportation fee. That fee isn't always applied - only if they have to transfer your car from another zone (for examples, I do not believe there is any fee in CA for a new inventory car moving anywhere else in CA). I didn't pay a fee to move my new inventory car from NY to PA.

Only problem with picking up outside your state is dealing with state taxes. For example, in NJ there is no sales tax for an EV but if you pick up in CA to avoid the $2,000 transportation fee you have to pay CA tax which is many multiples of the $2,000 transportation fee. So there you are much better off paying the fee.

But don't you have to pay sales tax in the state where you register the car? For example, if I bought a car Oregon where there's no sales tax, won't I still have to pay sales tax when it's registered in California?

My understanding is if you could register the car in the state with no sales tax, you wouldn't have to pay sales tax in another state but that requires a real address and states have cracked down on people trying to avoid tax that way.

Yes, you definitely pay sales tax in the state where you register the car. My understanding if you are looking to pick up the car in Fremont - and I'd be happy to be corrected- is that CA charges you sales tax at purchase and then you get a credit against the sales tax in your own state when you later register the car. If your own state has a higher or similar sales tax, no problem. But if your state has a lower (or no) sales tax, you are out of luck.

Yes, you definitely pay sales tax in the state where you register the car. My understanding if you are looking to pick up the car in Fremont - and I'd be happy to be corrected- is that CA charges you sales tax at purchase and then you get a credit against the sales tax in your own state when you later register the car. If your own state has a higher or similar sales tax, no problem. But if your state has a lower (or no) sales tax, you are out of luck.
Ah, interesting. I wasn't thinking about someone voluntarily picking up in California :)

Tesla will not collect CA sales tax if you pick up your car in Fremont and live in another state. They go by where it's registered.

We bought a tesla last year in another state and in order to qualify for the special promo, we ended up flying to another state to sign our docs and take delivery of the car there. We did not pay that states sales tax. We ended up owing the sales tax in CA where it was registered.

Glass Roof ($1,500)
MSRP $110,250
Referral $1,000

36/10K Lease:
$67,036 residual
$793/mnth

36/12K Lease:
$65,933 residual
$822/mnth

36/15K Lease
$64,830 residual
$850/mnth

Thoughts? Opinions?

If you can swing the payment on the purchase, which will be slightly more, and it makes financial sense for you, then buy it.
At the end of the 3 years, you'll be slightly better off in the purchase(equitywise) and had no mileage restrictions. Only reason I'd lease it is if you want to hedge your bet against changes Tesla makes on the cars and then you can walk away from it in 3 years. Our 2 year lease on a '16 P90D classic with AP1 lost 10k value overnight when AP2 was released. We expect to hand it back at the end because the residual is $91k and it's worth less than that already today. Had we purchased it, that would have been our money lost. But hey, we're paying less than $600 a month for a P90D so I'm not complaining on that front.

also, i'd check with Tesla because TD Auto Finance requires 20% down in order to qualify for the .99%. They jack the rate up 2% for 100% financing. They will never finance sales tax and any other fees though, so if you opt for 100%, expect to pay about $4-6k down still to cover taxes and fees.

Buying it solely for the $7500 federal tax credit i see as a waste since you're paying $4-6k in sales tax to be able to qualify for the $7500 on a purchase. With sales tax in California at 9-10% in some cities, the sales tax on your particular car are $8100 to 9000. I'd lease it at that point.

Last edited:
also, i'd check with Tesla because TD Auto Finance requires 20% down in order to qualify for the .99%. They jack the rate up 2% for 100% financing. They will never finance sales tax and any other fees though, so if you opt for 100%, expect to pay about $4-6k down still to cover taxes and fees.

I filled out the finance credit app.. It went through Chase. They're requiring that I put 10% down, and cover TTL

Screenshot (27).png

That's true if the state you're buying in has reciprocity with the state you're registering in. This is the case for me.

Tesla will not collect CA sales tax if you pick up your car in Fremont and live in another state. They go by where it's registered.

We bought a tesla last year in another state and in order to qualify for the special promo, we ended up flying to another state to sign our docs and take delivery of the car there. We did not pay that states sales tax. We ended up owing the sales tax in CA where it was registered.

I think the reverse to what you did - buying in CA and bringing out of state - you still get hit with the CA sales tax.

See this thread and quoted Tesla Q&A:

Any new info about the California Sales Tax?

Looks like CA may change the tax law at some point - but likely only if they think they can gain more in tourism than the tax dollars they collect.

Here are a few deals on S.

Fremont location - $86,450 with a $15,500 adjustment
Model S 90D 5YJSA1E28HF199897 | Tesla

Houston location - $87,100 with a $19,900 adjustment
Model S 90D 5YJSA1E20HF192300 | Tesla

Feel free to PM me if you are looking for something or need a referral. These are the lowest priced 90D S so I suspect they will not last long.

There's quite a few with higher discounts that are not listed on the public site. Make sure to call your OA's and have them run searches.

There's quite a few with higher discounts that are not listed on the public site. Make sure to call your OA's and have them run searches.

Yes there are higher discounts $20k plus but these are the lowest priced 90D S. Here is one with $20,700 adjustment.

Model S 90D 5YJSA1E20HF190689 | Tesla

If you have the VIN number you can just change the URL to pull up the specs. Won't show up in a normal search but with the VIN you can find the specs. The OAs use an internal inventory site / Salesforce and I just asked for the VINs.

Last edited:
Yes there are higher discounts $20k plus but these are the lowest priced 90D S. These were from the internal site.
Incorrect.
Not trying to be rude but Internal cars are not accessible from the public site. The ones you posted have public facing access since you can post links to them.

Ev-CPO and tesla.com never have the internal inventory cars that I've and others have mentioned before. Wish they did though

Last edited: