Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost all places require a shutoff reachable from the HPWC
Actually, NEC doesn't say anthing about "reachable from the HPWC." 625.23 only says for >60A or >150V line-to-ground "the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position."

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Actually, NEC doesn't say anthing about "reachable from the HPWC." 625.23 only says for >60A or >150V line-to-ground "the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position."
I meant that by what I said. Thank you for grabbing the exact model guideline text. Yours is most likely the better one to use. Do both, and seems like best tact. In my case, the subpanel is both reachable and readily accessible, and the subpanel has a method to put the little tab that has a hole for a padlock through the front cover, and then you can place a padlock on it, make it adherent to "being locked in the open position", where open means off (you simply throw the breaker off and lock the subpanel). I'm certain that they mean for service, and for lockout tag out, so that means you must also attach a tag with name, date and time, contact information, and where you will be located. "Just wait -- I'll be right back -- at lunch or in my truck" seems like it ought to be sufficient; is it?

Last edited:
I meant that by what I said. Thank you for grabbing the exact model guideline text. Yours is most likely the better one to use. Do both, and seems like best tact. In my case, the subpanel is both reachable and readily accessible, and the subpanel has a method to put the little tab that has a hole for a padlock through the front cover, and then you can place a padlock on it, make it adherent to "being locked in the open position", where open means off (you simply throw the breaker off and lock the subpanel). I'm certain that they mean for service, and for lockout tag out, so that means you must also attach a tag with name, date and time, contact information, and where you will be located. "Just wait -- I'll be right back -- at lunch or in my truck" seems like it ought to be sufficient; is it?
Agreed. I've seen inspectors OK garage installs with a subpanel ~20ft away as the shut-off.

One more question, this time it's not about the install, but ethics I guess.

I've had 3 range of quotes.
-Tesla approved $1200-$1600, including permit
-Licensed Electrician $700-$800, including permit
-Licensed Electrician $400-$600, as soon as I ask if the permit is included or I need to get it myself, these guys stop replying to emails/phone calls

For the last group of electricians, aren't they risking their license or some punishment if he does the work without a permit?

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but...

@Max* What part of NoVa are you in? I am planning to get an outside NEMA 14-50 installed tomorrow, and I was browsing the forum looking for ideas on how to house the receptacle (and hopefully the UMC, to protect it from theft and weather when not in use), and came across this post. I am in Alexandria and when I searched the city site to see if my electrician (who says "no permit needed, i do it all the time") was correct on not needing a permit - doesn't look like he does...

@FlasherZ I looked for Virginia code and (by the way, this is totally not my realm of familiarity, much less expertise) everything that I could find looked like specifications to follow, not policies or regs on when a permit is needed.

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is call the city, tell them what you want to do and ask if you will need a permit. Or, if you plan to hire an electrician, call your favorite local electrical contractor and ask them. We get permits when required for the jobs we work on and pass the cost on to the owner.

• Informative
Reactions: CatB
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but...

@Max* What part of NoVa are you in? I am planning to get an outside NEMA 14-50 installed tomorrow, and I was browsing the forum looking for ideas on how to house the receptacle (and hopefully the UMC, to protect it from theft and weather when not in use), and came across this post. I am in Alexandria and when I searched the city site to see if my electrician (who says "no permit needed, i do it all the time") was correct on not needing a permit - doesn't look like he does...

@FlasherZ I looked for Virginia code and (by the way, this is totally not my realm of familiarity, much less expertise) everything that I could find looked like specifications to follow, not policies or regs on when a permit is needed.
I'm in Fairfax (Fairfax County).

Some parts of Alexandria are Fairfax county too, I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: CatB
Thanks everyone. I was in a bit of a precarious situation because I had given a verbal "yes" to the work (which would have been done today). I asked to see electrician's license and "the guy" said "I'll have to get that for you". Then I said I'm pretty sure we need a permit. He said that would cost more and he'd have to send me a quote. So he's going to send me an estimate, and I'll get a few more. Pls PM me if you have recommendations. Since this will be an outside outlet (until I can get garage built, about the time stock hits $750 or sooner), I kinda want some kind of lockable housing that will also include the green light part of the UMC, and then will hang cable below.
Of course, ultimately, I'd *love* to have a solar roof too, so I'd like to find an electrician I can trust longer term.
I'll check Checkbook, but happy to have references sent to me via PM.

Question: i'm considering getting a home charger installed but wanted to know...what's to prevent someone else from parking on my driveway when i'm gone and plugging their EV in?

apologies for the noob question, searched and couldn't find an answer.
Many outdoor installations have locking mechanisms if you wish to put a lock on.

But seriously, if you're worried someone would steal free electricity, I'd be worried about leaving the Tesla in the driveway.

• Informative
Reactions: mickificki
In all the years I've been following and owning EVs, people stealing electricity from an outdoor plug or EVSE in a driveway just has not been a thing.

If it's in a public place, such as homes without driveways or garages, or an apartment without reserved parking, you can imagine someone wanting to set such a thing up and wanting to secure it. From the time I first went away to college until I bought my first house, I never lived in a place with reserved parking. In such a situation, people will often tacitly reserve parking places and within reason, the neighbors will tolerate it. As EVs go from being a "luxury" product to more universal, demand for this will be more and more common.

-Snortybartfast

There are many good reasons not to engage in hazardous do-it-yourself wiring, but bad or unpermitted work would not endanger your homeowners' insurance. There is no exclusion for this in standard homeowners policies. Otherwise, every wiring-related fire loss might potentially involve a dispute about the wiring in a home. Have you ever heard of such a dispute? I haven't, even though I have seen a lot of unsafe wiring in older homes. Forget about this risk and focus on what is important.

There are many good reasons not to engage in hazardous do-it-yourself wiring, but bad or unpermitted work would not endanger your homeowners' insurance. There is no exclusion for this in standard homeowners policies.

Yes -- there could be. They are called anti-concurrent causation clauses and you should be sure to choose a policy that does not contain one, esp if you live in a State that has not banned them by legislation or common-law. More info here:

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

Reactions: robby
I am getting ready to get my first Tesla in early 2018, based on Tesla website. I am new to this and before calling electricians for estimates, I wanted to be informed so that I can ask the right questions and not have a fast one pulled over me. My situation is as follows:
  • Planning to have 2 Tesla M3 in 2018 (one for me and one for wife) but possibly add another EV 3-4 years down the road when pretty much all of the car companies will have their own long range EV
  • My wife and I each drive about 60 miles round trip daily, on weekends we normally drive one car about 150 miles total
  • We are from southern California. We don’t have too many long road trips except an occasional drive 250 miles one-way to Las Vegas
Questions and comments I have regarding charging set up. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
1. With 2 Tesla’s I was thinking about installing only 1 HPWC. I could alternate charging between the 2 cars every other day since this should cover our range from the standard range M3. Would there be any problem with this?

2. Instead of spending money on two HPWC's, I would add a 14-50 outlet in the same wall location. I am guessing this would be a small incremental expense. This could serve as a 2nd charger for the 2nd M3 or as a backup for any future EV that doesn’t use the HPWC. I assume this is less expensive than buying a 2nd HPWC and that a 2nd HPWC is overkill since it’s not needed. Is my thinking correct?

3. My home is only several years old and main circuit breaker has 200A. It has a 70A subpanel for household outlets, etc...

4. We have very little electricity usage during the day. Evenings primarily only TV and a few computers of usage. All lights are LED so not much draw. Air condition use only during summer months but fairly mild weather and high A/C setting over 75 degrees so I think electricity draw doesn’t come close to using the full 200A. Would this be enough or would an expensive upgrade to 400A circuit be required? If 200A is enough, would electrician just need to install the HPWC and 14-50 outlet on the wall and cost would be reasonable, say less than $1000?

5. We have solar installed and have a big credit that should cover at least one and maybe both of the EV electricity charging during the year. Would this impact any decision on what to install for charging?

6. The main breaker is on wall outside of garage and I am planning to install the HPWC directly inside garage and where there is also another subpanel already on the wall. Does anyone have any experience with a good electrician in Orange County who offer decent prices to do this type of install? If 200A is enough, would electrician just need to install the HPWC and 14-50 outlet on the wall and cost would be reasonable, say less than $1000, since I don't need to add another circuit breaker?

7. Oh and a misc. dumb question – when the Tesla is being charged, can one accidentally pull the car out of the garage with the charging cable still plugged to the car and ruin something? Or is there some sort of alert or disabling where you cannot drive off until the charging cable is removed from the car. I am thinking ahead and can see through an oversight how this might happen to me.

Thanks for everyone’s information on this forum.