Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Far West Texas Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard today that Tesla will no longer pay for destination charger installations.

This affects the Fort Davis Limpia Hotel site (and many other). If I can convince the Limpia Hotel owner to go ahead and accept two (still free) HPWCs, I am willing to pay for the installation, perhaps by donating to the Friends of the library and having them pay the electrician.

This kinda simplifies the process in that an electrician's quote is no longer required, but it means more work and cost for us and our hosts I think.

Comments please?

Lemme know what you're quoted for install... I'll try to beat it...

• Helpful
Reactions: tmoz and SW2Fiddler
I've had conversations with many business owners out here about installing HPWCs.
My conclusion after all these conversations is that Tesla owners need charging facilities out here much more than the businesses need Tesla.

Business is good out here. Very good. EVs, and Tesla, are just not relevant.

If we want charging facilities we're going to have to take matters into our own hands through crowd sourcing or other methods.
Tesla's decision to stop paying for installations killed any interest in destination chargers out here.

I've had conversations with many business owners out here about installing HPWCs.
My conclusion after all these conversations is that Tesla owners need charging facilities out here much more than the businesses need Tesla.

Business is good out here. Very good. EVs, and Tesla, are just not relevant.

If we want charging facilities we're going to have to take matters into our own hands through crowd sourcing or other methods.
Tesla's decision to stop paying for installations killed any interest in destination chargers out here.

And you throw in Tesla (EV?) folks expect their destination charging to be free... And feel slighted if it says "customers only".

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
brkaus, yeah, it's free almost everywhere I've been, but I can understand the business wanting some return.

Pay-for-play out here is not unusual.
Balmorhea charges $15 for a 14-50. Fort Stockton RV park charges $10 for same.
Wineries around Fredericksburg expect you to taste or buy wine. Hotel Faust in Blanco asks that you stay there, or take a tour the hotel, or dine locally.

I didn't make my point very clearly, what I meant to do was express my opinion that that we need chargers more than the businesses need us. Might be a different story some day when electric pickups are available.

brkaus, yeah, it's free almost everywhere I've been, but I can understand the business wanting some return.

Pay-for-play out here is not unusual.
Balmorhea charges $15 for a 14-50. Fort Stockton RV park charges $10 for same.
Wineries around Fredericksburg expect you to taste or buy wine. Hotel Faust in Blanco asks that you stay there, or take a tour the hotel, or dine locally.

I didn't make my point very clearly, what I meant to do was express my opinion that that we need chargers more than the businesses need us. Might be a different story some day when electric pickups are available.
What is the cost of a pair of destination chargers - parts + installation?

The way I look at it, the property owners will get more business with a charger of any kind - but we have to convince them before they take action. The business owners need us; they just don't know it.

As part of trying to spread the word about business value and ROI of installing dest chargers, I went to a few places in the area to ask about how much their business has improved from chargers on their property. They (hotels, restaurants) all said they detected no activity and/or the chargers were a nuisance. I know from PlugShare that they are being used.

As users of their service, we need to do a better job making the merchants aware of their value. Every time we use a dest charger, we need to inform at least the manager on duty that we are at their property because of the charger and thank them for providing it. Goodwill like that costs nothing but goes a long way.

Last edited:
What is the cost of a pair of destination chargers - parts + installation?
A dest charger is essentially an HPWC, which is $500. Getting the electricity to it is highly variable and usually much more. I'd call it minimum $1000 for a simple job. Much more for an underground cable run or breaker box upgrade. Or transformer upgrade. Or higher amperage service line.

tmoz; HPWCs are $500 each if you buy them from Tesla. Installation varies. In Fort Davis there were two quotes: one for $1,900, one for $1,400. (this was for 2 HPWCs and one Clipper Creek.)

XHabjab: If this were normal times, I would agree with you 100%.
With the oil boom many businesses here are already maxed out - EV chargers are a pretty low priority.

In Fort Davis one of the Hotel Limpia partners owns a Tesla, so hotel management gets it.
The rest of the area is not yet tuned in to EVs.

IMHO it is Tesla's job to promote themselves out here, not ours.

But

We drivers are the ones that need chargers.
A charging infrastructure out here doesn't seem to interest Tesla or most businesses, that's why I think we are on our own.

Hey, at least you have SCs in some places in the state (yeah, I know that doesn't make anyone feel better!). I agree it is Tesla's job, but helping people with at least applying for a HPWC can accelerate awareness and adoption. That's how I look at it out here in ND in the North side of the US oil country. Heck there are oil wells right in city limits across the street from people's new homes!

The way I look at it, the property owners will get more business with a charger of any kind - but we have to convince them before they take action. The business owners need us; they just don't know it.

As part of trying to spread the word about business value and ROI of installing dest chargers, I went to a few places in the area to ask about how much their business has improved from chargers on their property. They (hotels, restaurants) all said they detected no activity and/or the chargers were a nuisance. I know from PlugShare that they are being used.

As users of their service, we need to do a better job making the merchants aware of their value. Every time we use a dest charger, we need to inform at least the manager on duty that we are at their property because of the charger and thank them for providing it. Goodwill like that costs nothing but goes a long way.

But it just takes one person being an ... to undo any benefit.

For example, there was a thread on a local email list about a Tesla driver that was in a remote beach community. They stayed at their favorite hotel and were “shocked” that the other hotel in town with a destination charger didnt want them to charge as they were not a guest.

They even had a debate with the poor desk person and claimed they would never ever stay there because the hotel was so rude.

I’m guessing the first time that HPWC needs some sort of repair, it will simply be removed from the wall.

I do always follow up with a note to management and corporate if I selected their hotel due to charging.

Personally, rather than free, I’d like to pay $10-20 ahead of time to reserve the spot.

Eagle Scout project. 4-H group project. Gold Award (Girl Scouts) project.

I pledge one Sig Black HPWC pending my one referral ...two of ‘em if a second referral happens (I hear they pair real nice now!). Will throw in a 100A Breaker since I’m making Tesla pay for the HPWC :)

I mean, the youth get Tesla way better than we Grupps do. A youth in an organization like above will be able to rustle up an installer from relatives and contacts. That’s the way these (youth org) projects are achieved.

Limpia Hotel:
IMG_6985.JPG

On April 6th I received an email from Tesla Charging Infrastructure stating:
"Tesla can contribute $1500 per charging station installed to help with installation costs."

I made a presentation at the Jeff Davis County Commissioner's Court meeting on April 9th asking them to approve the installation of the chargers on a county-owned library building. I committed to pay any costs not covered by Tesla.
The county declined, many reasons not very well thought out, but they declined.

David Schreiber from the Limpia Hotel picked up the slack and offered his hotel as an installation site and asked Tesla to send charging devices and to pay for the installation. Thank you David!

On June 27 I was notified by Tesla Charging Infrastructure that they would no longer pay installation costs.
No warning. I made a commitment back on April 9th to pick up anything Tesla would not pay for.
Today I paid for the installation out of my own pocket. I thank Endless Energy (nwdiver) for cooperating on the installation costs.

Thanks to Tesla for sending the HPWCs and the Clipper Creek.

I will not comment here on what I think about Tesla's documented promises on installation costs. The keyboard might get kinda hot.

On April 6th I received an email from Tesla Charging Infrastructure stating:
"Tesla can contribute $1500 per charging station installed to help with installation costs."

I made a presentation at the Jeff Davis County Commissioner's Court meeting on April 9th asking them to approve the installation of the chargers on a county-owned library building. I committed to pay any costs not covered by Tesla.
The county declined, many reasons not very well thought out, but they declined.

David Schreiber from the Limpia Hotel picked up the slack and offered his hotel as an installation site and asked Tesla to send charging devices and to pay for the installation. Thank you David!

On June 27 I was notified by Tesla Charging Infrastructure that they would no longer pay installation costs.
No warning. I made a commitment back on April 9th to pick up anything Tesla would not pay for.
Today I paid for the installation out of my own pocket. I thank Endless Energy (nwdiver) for cooperating on the installation costs.

Thanks to Tesla for sending the HPWCs and the Clipper Creek.

I will not comment here on what I think about Tesla's documented promises on installation costs. The keyboard might get kinda hot.
What kind of money was involved from @charliepmayer ?