Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Far West Texas Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found these two HPWCs at Cibolo Creek Ranch today:
IMG_6692.JPG

Cibolo Creek Ranch:
HPWCs were not yet installed as of yesterday morning.
Model S on max height handled the ranch road from the main fort to the remote forts with ease.
Never bottomed or high-centered. Had to cross one flowing creek - about 4 inches deep.
(I highly recommend taking the time to see the remote forts.)
Do not park under the huge cottonwood trees - they drip sap. Anybody have a hint on how to get it off?
A little dusty:
IMG_6694.JPG

Fort Davis:
HPWC on the Limpia Hotel was not activated as of this morning.

Balmorhea:
Met with the GM (owner?) of the El Oso Flojo Lodge/Restaurant/trailer park.
He thinks there will never be enough interest for him to install HPWCs - even if they are free.
Not interested in any way.
I do like his restaurant, though.

Neither the Mayor of Balmorhea nor the City Secretary contacted me to follow up from our last meeting.

Still a charging wasteland out here.

Finally something I can use to camouflage these fugly California HOV lane/carpool stickers. I’ve clearly been doing it all wrong!

Still a charging wasteland out here.

Bummer. I’m not sure which is worse - the abject failure to manage urban SC demand in San Diego, or the strikeout we’ve witnessed for the last link in the I-10 chain over there in West Texas.

Gonna be some kind of ironic if some stealership installs a fast charger as part of some regional corporate strategy (e.g., Nissan or VW or more aptly Ford) before Tesla can resolve this obstruction.

• Funny
Reactions: arcus and tmoz
Finally something I can use to camouflage these fugly California HOV lane/carpool stickers. I’ve clearly been doing it all wrong!

Bummer. I’m not sure which is worse - the abject failure to manage urban SC demand in San Diego, or the strikeout we’ve witnessed for the last link in the I-10 chain over there in West Texas.

Gonna be some kind of ironic if some stealership installs a fast charger as part of some regional corporate strategy (e.g., Nissan or VW or more aptly Ford) before Tesla can resolve this obstruction.
I'd be shocked if some stealership installed anything EV related.

I'd be shocked if some stealership installed anything EV related.

And yet, there are already ChaDeMo at most Nissan stealerships for use during business hours. Which begs the question: Are Nissans allowed in West Texas? ;). Or more aptly, are their stealerships?

That’s gotta be a crisis of conscience for NADA in general right there. If they had a conscience, that is.

I haven’t looked at GM’s related charging plans lately - last I saw, it was a most wondrously vaporous pipe dream of a national map with chargers all over the place.

Point is, some entity is going to get this done. Nobody thought there would be a 70A free charger in Iraan, either. It would seem appropriate for Tesla to resolve this first and in so doing to reverse the failure at FS for the past 2 years.

Of course, if they wait until everyone drives 100Ds and Model 3LRs, then problem solved. That’s it - at the same time, we’ll just wait for all of the stealerships to go out of business. Yeah, that’ll work.

Should have several more destination chargers activated around here shortly: Cibolo Creek Ranch, Limpia Hotel, Alpine, my house.

Limpia Hotel contacted me today: electrician hired! Letter to Tesla on the way!

I'll be headed to Marathon (locals say "mar' a thn") this weekend to see if I can get the Gage hotel interested.

Anybody have connections in Terlingua or Lajitas?

• Helpful
Reactions: thenaimis and tmoz
Need help please: Fort Davis locals are joking about "Three Teslas in Fort Davis at the same time ? - ha!"

Let's have a meetup here after FS is built and the Limpia Hotel gets its three chargers installed.

Limpia Hotel will be happy to host us.

I’m in - after all, I’ll have a valid West Texas passport for the Golden Spike soirée in Fort Stockton. Fort Davis and the Limpia Hotel sounds like a plan.

Heard today that Tesla will no longer pay for destination charger installations.

This affects the Fort Davis Limpia Hotel site (and many other). If I can convince the Limpia Hotel owner to go ahead and accept two (still free) HPWCs, I am willing to pay for the installation, perhaps by donating to the Friends of the library and having them pay the electrician.

This kinda simplifies the process in that an electrician's quote is no longer required, but it means more work and cost for us and our hosts I think.

Comments please?