Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Far West Texas Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We stayed next door at the Swiss clock inn because we had a pet. The rooms were overpriced due to the glut of oil and gas workers and booked way in advance. We used the destination charger next door at the Swiss chalet for overnight charging. No problem with charging. Reached full charge in about 8-9 hours. There’s supposed to be 2 destination chargers there I think, but I saw only one.

• Helpful
Reactions: dedicatedtek
Has anyone reached out to the Big Bend Conservancy/Friends of Big Bend National Park about them supporting a project for charging infrastructure in the National Park? I've been a member for a couple years to support their mission of raising money for projects in and around the park...

"The Big Bend Conservancy funds a wide variety of projects and programs. The Conservancy concentrates its efforts on improving the visitor experience by enhancing interpretation, adding new exhibits and providing needed equipment for Park staff to better communicate with visitors. The Conservancy also works to restore habitat, preserve historic buildings, improve the relationship with the community in Boquillas, Mexico and more."​

It's an easy argument to make that EV charging supports the conservancy and the park's mission of conservation, environmental stewardship, and offering accommodations to allow the public to come visit. Would likely need to be not Tesla-exclusive, though.

Destination charging would definitely have to be done in the Basin where the largest concentration of people spend the night. The only bad thing about that is it's not uncommon for the Basin to have power outages due to storms, etc. Have been there a couple times when that happened.

A grander plan, albeit likely totally unrealistic, would be a DC fast charging station near the Panther Junction gas station: Tesla Solar, backed by PowerPacks, supporting a Supercharger maybe. :)

Hi everyone. I just got word from the Library folks in Fort Davis that they need to make some publicity shots for the chargers at the Hotel Limpia. If anybody is around Fort Davis tomorrow would you mind if we use your car for pics? Mine is 400 miles away.
Please contact me or you can contact Jeanine directly.

Received this late this afternoon:

Hi. Can we do some publicity photos of the Tesla and the car chargers tomorrow, Tuesday the 4th, at around 3:30 in the afternoon?

Jeanine M. Bishop, President
Friends of the Jeff Davis County Library
PO Box 425
Fort Davis, TX 79734

432-249-1024 - Jeanine Bishop direct

20180908_151932.jpg

Looks like somebody left something at the Van Horn supercharger.

(Took pic sept 8 2018)

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Hi everyone. I just got word from the Library folks in Fort Davis that they need to make some publicity shots for the chargers at the Hotel Limpia. If anybody is around Fort Davis tomorrow would you mind if we use your car for pics? Mine is 400 miles away.
Please contact me or you can contact Jeanine directly.

Received this late this afternoon:

Hi. Can we do some publicity photos of the Tesla and the car chargers tomorrow, Tuesday the 4th, at around 3:30 in the afternoon?

Jeanine M. Bishop, President
Friends of the Jeff Davis County Library
PO Box 425
Fort Davis, TX 79734

432-249-1024 - Jeanine Bishop direct
Mine is 2400 miles away...

Has anyone used the RV hook-ups in Big Bend to charge their Tesla then? I am close to ordering my RWD Model 3 and am not 100% sure they can be used or what the best option is to charge there. Would definitely plan my visit around how to charge in or around the park. Just don't want to be forced to stay outside of the park unless absolutely necessary.

Also, on the Fort Davis Library mentioned earlier, Gwin Grimes used to own a bakery down the street from my work in Fort Worth. I had no clue where she moved off to after it closed, but now I do. Side note, she makes amazing cinnamon rolls and crumb cakes. Always would chat for a while whenever I stopped by her old place Artisan Bakery. I am pretty certain it is the same person.

Fort Davis is too off the beaten path for easy charging heading there from Fort Worth though. Still seeing what other options are available.

If its too much of a pain to road trip there, then renting a four wheel drive vehicle may be the best bet since that allows offroading capabilities.

Would this be the best bet for charging off rv plugs then?

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2

I will also add that I sent my friend a message who lives in Terlingua to see about electric vehicle charging. Will post back if I hear anything from him on that subject.

rideincircles:
NEMA 14-50s work at almost any trailer park - adapters available from Tesla. The have 30 amp adapters, too.
Don't know which ones work on a Model 3. I thought all of them did, no?

Getting there:
Iraan Energy House has a J1772 for free.
RV park in Fort Stockton has a NEMA 14-50: Full-service RV park in Fort Stockton, Texas. $10
Marathon RV park has 30 and 50 amp slots available. Marathon Motel & RV Park | Lodging in Marathon, Texas $10
(I think Balmorhea is now full of trailers - no more NEMA 14-50s?)

Other opportunities nearer or in the park: Stillwell Store
Rio Grande Village RV Park: +1 432-477-2251 NEMA 14-50
Big Bend Resort on 118 has a NEMA 14-50.

More detail here: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You zoom in on Big Bend area.

Yes, other Teslas have charged in and around the park.
Good luck!