Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Far West Texas Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are at the Limpia in fort Davis now. Clipper creek charging us at 17 mph. Leftmost Tesla charger has a green light but will not provide power.

Question: when we head back to Ozona, Tesla nav wants to route us to midland instead. Does this make any sense? Any problem making it to Ozona from fort Davis on a p100d (312 mile range) with routing through alpine? I am assuming fort Stockton supercharger is not online by our leave date on Thursday, but it would sure make things easier if it were.

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
alphacrux: the right HPWC is dead. The left one has a blinking red led and a green on top. I suspect a lightning strike. Tesla has no approved electricians in that area. I asked nwdiver to give it a shot.

Do not go to midland. I left FD this morning showing 332 rated miles, pulled into Ozona showing 94. Rain and head winds.

If necessary, stop in Iraan and suck up enough to get to Ozona.

Ozona: 1B would not give over 72kw.
1A is ok. A 3 and an S also here now.

HPWC had lightning damage, Tesla is sending a replacement:
Hotel Limpia HPWC damage.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Is going from Terlingua to Marfa along 170 drive pretty easy in a LR RWD Model 3? That is what I am hoping to pull off on my next trip out to Big Bend. It looks like there is enough charging stations to pull it off, but may need a long break out in Marfa. Not sure if I can do that in one day and get back to Fort Worth. I don't see any charging in Presidio offhand.

Edit: Double checking and it looks like its 276 miles for 5 hours of driving from Rio Grande Village in Big Bend through Terlngua to Presidio, to Lajitas through Marfa and back to Fort Stockton. I guess juicing up a little in Marfa is a good idea, but seems totally feasible if I don't drive quickly. Getting back to Fort Worth is 11 hours of driving without charging. Would be a long day, but totally feasible. Depending on the weather temperature could be a factor also.

Last edited:
Sorry to divert the current discussion, but with the opening of Ft. Stockton SuC I thought making it to Marfa from Austin would be possible in a model S75D (Austin Junction Ozona Ft. Stockton). Tesla routing and better trip planner seems to still suggest the circular route NW. Any insight into this? Might have to keep my ICE around a bit longer... :rolleyes:

Sorry to divert the current discussion, but with the opening of Ft. Stockton SuC I thought making it to Marfa from Austin would be possible in a model S75D (Austin Junction Ozona Ft. Stockton). Tesla routing and better trip planner seems to still suggest the circular route NW. Any insight into this? Might have to keep my ICE around a bit longer... :rolleyes:
It probably just doesn't have the Fort Stockton supercharger in the system yet or something. There's no reason you couldn't make that drive in any Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Behind and Xd85
Weekend of August 16-18 is a "go". Need head counts for several items - please see next post.

Group rates for rooms are available if we have enough participants.

This is a great time to be in the desert. Rainbows, hiking, observatory, museums, you know.

2019 Tesla EV Rally - Far West Texas (ver 1)

Friday, August 16:
Old courthouses in Fort Davis and Marfa are open - not available on Saturday and Sunday.

7:00 pm
Meet at the Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis
Cocktails and dinner at the Blue Mountain Bistro in Fort Davis

Saturday, August 17:
Breakfast buffet at Blue Mountain Bistro or at the Fort Davis Drug Store, Lupita's Place in Fort Davis (Mexican food), or Judy's Bread and Breakfast in Alpine (bring an appetite, allow extra time). Squeeze Marfa, several other places in the area.

10 am - noon
tour Fort Davis National Historic Site

lunch in Fort Davis: open, pick your place: Poco Mexico, Cueva de Leon, Fort Davis Drug Store, Back Porch, Lupita’s Place, these and more should be open in Alpine and Marfa.

2:00-8:00 open touring, you pick it: McDonald Observatory, Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute, Museum of the Big Bend, Marfa Gliders, Cibolo Creek Ranch, whatever. Please Google 'em up before you go! You're not in Kansas anymore.

8:00 Cocktails and dinner at the Century Bar & Grill in the Holland Hotel - Alpine

Sunday, August 18, Marfa day!:
Breakfast as above

10:00 am open touring: Chinati Foundation, Judd Foundation, art galleries, quirky bars

noon: open lunch in Marfa - you pick the place, see: THE 10 BEST Restaurants in Marfa 2018 - TripAdvisor
Some of these locations are no longer open, not open for lunch, or have limited hours.
Important: please do your research before showing up - opportunities are limited,

2:00 on your own for more art tours - please make sure you see the Donald Judd structures

5:00 cocktails and dinner at Jett’s Grill, Hotel Paisano, Marfa

later: see the Marfa lights!

Last edited: