Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite and Most Trustworthy Tesla App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model 3 owner here! Like yesterday new.

I'm really interested in getting a third party app to track all the stats available for my car, but I don't know which one to get.

I've heard good things about:
Remote S (iOS app)
Stats (iOS app)
TeslaFi (desktop webpage)

Is there a widely accepted favorite app? I had a surprisingly hard time googling this. TeslaFi seems great, but $50/yr is a little steep just for stats. Not sure about costs of the iphone apps.

Thanks!

I don't want to give out my Tesla credentials to anyone other than Tesla, so I just track my details in a spreadsheet on my local computer. Have a "Monthly" trip meter that I use to log the mileage/power data into the spreadsheet on the first of every month. I also don't care for adding yet another subscription payment to the budget. To each their own.

Attachments

• Vehicle Spreadsheet - Tesla.xlsx.zip
    34.5 KB · Views: 360
Love the TeslaFI site... a key to any good software is good support. I started my trial and since I had just purchased my car, I ran into a time lag of getting the vehicle transferred to me. I messaged TeslaFI and received an email within a couple hours saying that it wasn't a problem and I shouldn't be worried about my trial expiring. The message just said, no problem, just reply when you are ready to resume your trial. Boom trial was back on :) Two thumbs up

Last edited:
Forum rules say I can't put referral codes in my signature but it doesn't say anything about posting them...

So - anyone that wants to give TeslaFi a try, use 'bsietz' as a referral and get an extra few weeks of free trial.

Enjoy!
-Brian

I’m using Stats for Tesla iOS. I’ve heard that TeslaFi is also good. Whatever you do, don’t use Tesla 4 U unless you’re okay with a good deal of vampire drain.

I just bought Stats on iOS. So far I love it. I started a separate thread on it. I wish I had bought when I first got the car so I'd have some collected stats by now.

Odd there isn't much info on this app. It seems really well done.

It will give you all anonymously contributed stats as well so you can see where you fit in in the scheme of things. It doesn't tell you how many contributed to the stats though. It even gives a graph of firmware.

Teslafi.com seems just way to expensive for what it is. And it's much nicer having a native app.

teslafi killed my vampire drain, fyi. lost 10-15 a day.

Your comment is a little ambiguous ;) teslafi got rid of your phantom drain or increased it?
Seems plausible if it repeatably "wakes" the car.

I wonder how much the car must "wake" to get stats and how much is stored on the car so it can "batch it".

I certainly wouldn't want to take ANY hit for any app. Be nice if you can control how often it collects data.

There is a nice FAQ Entry within the Stats app explaining how it works and claims it has no impact on phantom drain. It also backs that up with stats showing users generally have low phantom drain.

Congrats on your 3, and welcome to TMC @Carl_P :)

For logging, hands down TeslaFi gives best ROI for ease of use and effective telemetry collection and visualization. Used a few systems over the years, created own logging scripts via RESTful APIs, etc. Now just TeslaFi for zero-thought logging.
Allen’s RemoteS is great, though same as all phone apps they need to continue running and you need to think about using them.

I like TM-spy as connected iOS app, though requires you to plug into CAN bus and, I don’t believe has support for Model 3 - though it’d been a while.

I haven’t checked out Stats yet.

Again, I prefer cloud hosted for ease of use. Also, having something running “continuously” I love; it gives me ability to track overnight charge efficiency, in/out temperatures, supercharging rates, geo-locations, long term battery degradation, etc. I often use to answer questions using general drive data here.

I haven’t checked out TeslaSpy, though might over the holidays when I out some trips on the S. Seems prettier than TeslaFi, though may be too much info.

You can export all TeslaFi data via csv files if you prefer your own graphing / tracking vs web generated makes this very flexible.
You can also supply your own Tesla-generated token vs supplying your Tesla username/password combo

Used TeslaFi since before it was a charge-for service. The creator is still a Tesla owner and very responsive to feedback and requests.

There was initial vampire drain issues with all loggers with Model 3 due to lack of energy savings mode yet always being connected, meaning the car never managed to get to deeper sleep states. Some was addressed with fw updates early this year and, as previously mentioned, the creator/owner of TeslaFi modified some of the heuristics and parameters you can set to allow the 3 to go to sleep more reliably when in an idle state. I’ve included settings I use in attached image below.

Only “issue” for me is having to run one account per Tesla. Definitely a first world problem ;)

Any questions don’t hesitate to ask. I have no affiliation to TeslaFi, though am a passionate fan for the above reasons. If you want extended trial you can use my TeslaFi code, mikebur2018... the receiver gets 5$, so not really for the money, more to give extended trial... anywho, I’ll still answer questions either way ;)

E3EFFF6C-599B-41C2-B0B7-CA1603201D89.jpeg

I don't want to give out my Tesla credentials to anyone other than Tesla, so I just track my details in a spreadsheet on my local computer. Have a "Monthly" trip meter that I use to log the mileage/power data into the spreadsheet on the first of every month. I also don't care for adding yet another subscription payment to the budget. To each their own.

FWIW I was in the same boat as you. I spoke to my best friend who has had his own IT consulting firm since college, and does work for clients like the Federal Government, payroll companies, large retailers and financial institutions, etc. The majority of his work is building the platforms that let various behind the scenes systems be accessed by users, both internal and external, including classified data.

I asked him about TeslaFi and the token generation process. He said it was very low risk to provide them my Tesla account credentials, so I went ahead and did it. I know it's some random dude on the internet telling you about his friend from college, lol, so I know you'll take it with a grain of salt. But if you know any IT professionals would encourage you to ask them for their thoughts.

I've been using TeslaFi for almost a month now and really enjoy the way all the data is presented.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Dashboard for Tesla, if you have an Android phone....

Dashboard for Tesla

$14.95 for all the important features, another $3 for smart charging(start automatically to complete at time X), and another $3 for scheduled other activities (Turn on the heat automatically 10 minutes before you leave for work, for example).

All those prices are for the life of the phone's account, even if you change phones.

One nice thing is that the charge screen shows you an expected completion time, rather than making you do the math. Its not hard math, admittedly, but its one more thing you don't need to think about.

N.B. I've never tried anything but Dashboard for Tesla and the Tesla-supplied app, so I can't compare other than saving recurring subscription fees.

Reactions: Jaywlker
Dashboard for Tesla, if you have an Android phone....

Dashboard for Tesla

$14.95 for all the important features, another $3 for smart charging(start automatically to complete at time X), and another $3 for scheduled other activities (Turn on the heat automatically 10 minutes before you leave for work, for example).

All those prices are for the life of the phone's account, even if you change phones.

One nice thing is that the charge screen shows you an expected completion time, rather than making you do the math. Its not hard math, admittedly, but its one more thing you don't need to think about.

N.B. I've never tried anything but Dashboard for Tesla and the Tesla-supplied app, so I can't compare other than saving recurring subscription fees.
Makes me think that I am seriously underpricing the Stats for Tesla app at $10 on-time purchase and no in-app purchase or subscription.

Makes me think that I am seriously underpricing the Stats for Tesla app at $10 on-time purchase and no in-app purchase or subscription.

Yes you are, without doubt. Your audience is a bunch of people who just bought $45-$135K vehicles. My tolerance stops at 'recurring noticeable cost'. If it were $20, or maybe even 30-40 with no subscription, I'd be in. $5 a month for the life of the car... nope...... $1-2 for the life of the car and I might be convinced. Its not that I don't have the money, I can just find better things to do with $60 a year.

Yes you are, without doubt. Your audience is a bunch of people who just bought $45-$135K vehicles. My tolerance stops at 'recurring noticeable cost'. If it were $20, or maybe even 30-40 with no subscription, I'd be in. $5 a month for the life of the car... nope...... $1-2 for the life of the car and I might be convinced. Its not that I don't have the money, I can just find better things to do with $60 a year.
I know what you mean. People (including me as a user) hate subscriptions. On the other hand, developers need subscriptions to pay their rent every month.
I don't think I'll ever add a subscription to Stats app, but I may start adding new features as one-time in-app-purchases.