Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite Waterless Wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, as I mentioned in my post, Optimum's OptiClean is their version of a waterless wash. So to compare apples to apples, you would want to comapre OptiClean to Aero, not ONR.

I have heard good things about Aero and have wanted to try it. Do you know if Aero comes in a concentrate form? I always go for the concnetrate version of any waterless car wash because it is the most cost effective per wash.

Here is a description of OptiClean:

Optimum Opti-Clean

and here is my current favorite:

Meguiar's® D115 Detailer Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax, 1 Gallon

I don’t think Aero comes in concentrate form. It may well cost more in the long run but the reviews are beyond outstanding and I’m happy to pay a little more for what I believe is the best product out there for a truly waterless clean.

That said, the instructions do say you can wet the cleaning cloth with either water or Aero. I use water to make the cloth damp because it’s just a little bit of water and it conserves the Aero liquid.

It’s pretty marvelous, and leave the paint so slippery and shiny it’s crazy.

Sorry to hijack the waterless thread with more rinseless wash comments. I'm using ONR with half a gallon of water and 10 small rags (5 for washing, 5 for drying). I used to use 1 gallon but realized I toss out a large amount of it when I'm done. Using half a gallon is enough without wasting water and ONR.

Sorry to hijack the waterless thread with more rinseless wash comments. I'm using ONR with half a gallon of water and 10 small rags (5 for washing, 5 for drying). I used to use 1 gallon but realized I toss out a large amount of it when I'm done. Using half a gallon is enough without wasting water and ONR.
What are you washing with only a gallon, A power wheels Jeep?

You should be using a microfiber wash mit, or a large car wash sponge. Prevents you from putting too much pressure on the paint.

I fill my 5 gallon bucket with 3.5 or so gallons and throw out about a gallon or a bit more when done.

Keep in mind ONR makes the dirt fall to the bottom of your bucket, so if your only using a gallon there is a lot of dirt close to where your wet rags are.

Japhule is uing the "Gary Dean Method". Instead of using the same sponge or wash mitt for the entire car, you place a bunch of clean microfiber towels in the ONR solution. You use one microfiber towel at a time, but you never put a used towel back in the bucket. You just keep grabbing a new clean unused towel each time you move on to a new section of the car.

AmmoNYC make a nice rinseless product (frothe) it is sprayed in an aerator for good coverage.

I love Larry at AMMO NYC's videos on youtube. He is very knowledgeable about detailing and I have learned a lot from him. His AMMO NYC line of prodcuts, although pricey, are top notch. I especially like the Ammo Hydrate drying aid. Best on the market, IMO. I have not personally tried his Frothe waterless system. But I did see a review of someone comparing Frothe to other products. The reviewer commented that Frothe was so focused on making sure not to scratch the paint or to induce swirls that it ended up not doing as good of a job of cleaning the paint.

Japhule is uing the "Gary Dean Method". Instead of using the same sponge or wash mitt for the entire car, you place a bunch of clean microfiber towels in the ONR solution. You use one microfiber towel at a time, but you never put a used towel back in the bucket. You just keep grabbing a new clean unused towel each time you move on to a new section of the car.
I’d be concerned about inducing scratches from the pressure of your hand.

Also the manufacturer says to use a sponge to reduce pressure, I’d tend to listen to them

Ciqg71EaQu648L+wlxfacw.jpg
W0MeKaKgQPiT07OsAcyYdQ.jpg
Pb8PnrltRyuVOX2F47dU0g.jpg
All this talk made me run out and clean my car with Aero.

I used exactly zero water after damping the one Aero towel to clean the whole body of the car, including glass. The water on the ground is from using a one-time-rinsed wash mitt to clean the wheels. The rest of the body I used zero water other than the aforementioned damp towel.

Yes I have paint correction, ceramic coating, PPF, YMCA and RESPECT.

Nope, none of those things. Just a car from Tesla. Occasionally some RESPECT, but only if I talk sweetly to the missus. :D

View attachment 422093 View attachment 422094 View attachment 422095 All this talk made me run out and clean my car with Aero.

I used exactly zero water after damping the one Aero towel to clean the whole body of the car, including glass. The water on the ground is from using a one-time-rinsed wash mitt to clean the wheels. The rest of the body I used zero water other than the aforementioned damp towel.

Nope, none of those things. Just a car from Tesla. Occasionally some RESPECT, but only if I talk sweetly to the missus. :D

Looks awesome. Now maybe you can get the missus to wash the M3 for you....

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
View attachment 422093 View attachment 422094 View attachment 422095 All this talk made me run out and clean my car with Aero.

Beautiful car and nice job! I have to agree that the tinted windows go a long way in protecting the interior and making the exterior POP! Thanks for posting that. I'm still learning and taking in the whole thread. A little water, no water, wax hybrids. I hear a lot about ceramic coatings and ceramic washes that also don't use water. Mr. Old School doesn't feel good until I get a fat coat of wax over everything. Keep posting and I'll keep learning, thanks again.

Beautiful car and nice job! I have to agree that the tinted windows go a long way in protecting the interior and making the exterior POP! Thanks for posting that. I'm still learning and taking in the whole thread. A little water, no water, wax hybrids. I hear a lot about ceramic coatings and ceramic washes that also don't use water. Mr. Old School doesn't feel good until I get a fat coat of wax over everything. Keep posting and I'll keep learning, thanks again.
I was raised on wax. Finally tried Opti-seal because a good buddy of mine and owner of a very successful detail shop said I should.

That was 6ish years ago, and I’ve never used a wax since, If that says anything.

Thanks CK. Guys like you are making it easier to make the transition. In the "old days" I saw lots of new products that promised you would never wax again. Couple years later and I was glad I didn't. Resin glazes ruined my opinion of anything not wax and ruined lots of nice paint jobs. I'm moving forward, just a little cautiously.
BTW- I see your posts and do enjoy reading them. You're really helpful and have a good sense of humor. Keep it up.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Thanks CK. Guys like you are making it easier to make the transition. In the "old days" I saw lots of new products that promised you would never wax again. Couple years later and I was glad I didn't. Resin glazes ruined my opinion of anything not wax and ruined lots of nice paint jobs. I'm moving forward, just a little cautiously.
BTW- I see your posts and do enjoy reading them. You're really helpful and have a good sense of humor. Keep it up.

Keep in mind, if you really like a traditional wax, you don't have to choose. You can apply a newer sealant, such as Opti Seal or Hyper Seal, and then after it dries, you can then apply a traditional carnauba wax on top of the sealant. I love the Collinite family of waxes, esp Collinite 915, which has the highest carnauba content of any Collinite wax. You get the awesome protecion of the sealant and the "pop" from the carnauba wax.

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
You must have heard my wheels turning from there. I like the idea of improving the finish by ceramic coatings. Bonding to the paint is critical, don't want to see peeling clear coat later. Hardening it to make it more durable is what I understand. Like Ck said he hasn't used wax in years. I'll take that advise and give it a shot. I doubt tho I'll be chucking out the McGuire's or Adams waxes anytime soon:D.
Thanks for the shout out. You're all helping me more than you can imagine.:)

Keep in mind, if you really like a traditional wax, you don't have to choose. You can apply a newer sealant, such as Opti Seal or Hyper Seal, and then after it dries, you can then apply a traditional carnauba wax on top of the sealant. I love the Collinite family of waxes, esp Collinite 915, which has the highest carnauba content of any Collinite wax. You get the awesome protecion of the sealant and the "pop" from the carnauba wax.
Correct.

One thing about Opti Seal is it doesn’t have that “wax” feel if you run your fingers on it.

Optimum makes a good spray wax to top it if you want, or spring for Hyper Seal which is the newer/better version of Opti Seal. It has that “fresh waxed feel”

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Been using this over my Xpel ppf.

Wet or Waterless Car Wash Wax Kit 144 Ounces. Aircraft Quality for Your Car, RV, Boat, Motorcycle. The Best Wash Wax. Anywhere, Anytime, Home, Office, School, Garage, Parking Lots. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X04JRMU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_W3-dDbYSF9X9C
I've seen this product recommended several times and everyone has raved about it. I've been using Adams waterless wash with the waffle microfiber towel and it works great
Gotta plan to wash, polish down slightly the orange peel in the paint, mild cleaner then ceramic seal with Hyper Seal. After that the finishes can vary but I still want to stay with ceramic gloss first, then go to carnuba wax if I still want people to fall over trying to run their hands down it!!

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
Correct.

One thing about Opti Seal is it doesn’t have that “wax” feel if you run your fingers on it.

Optimum makes a good spray wax to top it if you want, or spring for Hyper Seal which is the newer/better version of Opti Seal. It has that “fresh waxed feel”

As CKanderson mentioned, using a spray wax such as the one made by Optimum is a great way to add a layer of wax on top of a sealant. Of course, it is not as durable as a traditional paste wax such as Collinite 915, but it is so much easier to apply than a paste wax. I personally love and use Meguiar's D156 spray wax, which is a professional version of their Ultimate Quick Wax. Many people say it is the same product, just in a different package. I like the D156 because it comes in a gallon size and is more cost effective.

There are many waterless washes on the market that have wax in them, such as ONR Wash and Wax or Meguiars D115. But I do find that using a separate spray wax gives the car more gloss and slick feel than just any waterless wash with wax alone.

I also love to use Meguiars D156 on my windows and rubber/plastic trim.