Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Automatic Folding Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
This is kinda sorta said tongue in cheek, but maybe not ...

I have this simmering anxiety that the first week my M3 is home I will clip a mirror trying to drive into the garage for a charge. Until now we have never bothered to park in the garage since the space always seemed better used for something else. And I just don't trust myself to always remember to fold the mirrors manually, not to mention the annoyance. For the past couple of months I have been parking in my driveway as close to middle of the garage door as I can with decent results but I just know that the day will come when I come in at an angle.

But then I thought about all the electrical doo-dads luxury cars have that I just yawn over, and I started feeling a little left out. If my neighbor can have a heated steering wheel rather than put on a pair of gloves, why cannot I have side-mirrors that fold as I approach my driveway and extend as I leave ?

At a minimum, I want my car to alert me: "you are just about home, dopey. Don't forget to fold the mirrors!" Cameras cannot arrive soon enough.

Hmmm...in contrast I use and tend to need my side mirrors as I back out of the garage, as having them folded until the car is on the driveway would increase the chances of putting a nasty house-induced scratch in the duco.

Maybe you could use the fancy "summon" feature, and have the car take the stress out of the trip in and out of the garage for you?

On a related note, has anyone considered installing their chargers at the entrance within the garage such that it can be used when car is garaged as well as parked outside?

On a related note, has anyone considered installing their chargers at the entrance within the garage such that it can be used when car is garaged as well as parked outside?

I have the Model S and I did this with my charger. I sprung for the Tesla 24' charger and it's mounted about 3 feed from the garage door, reaches the car easily when it's in the driveway (no room in garage yet).

Reactions: Jayc
It's possible the Model ≡ will have power folding mirrors since the S does. Also, if the OP plans to get all the autonomous driving features, you could use the Summon feature to have the car pull itself in to / out of the garage on a perfect trajectory every time.

To me, this isn't tongue in cheek at all. My garage is tight for my Volt. The Model 3 is guessed at being 3-4 inches wider than the Volt. Folding mirrors will go a long way to getting my Model 3 in there to charge (and I plan on placing my charge outlet between the two garage doors.)

Dan

I absolutely did this. I have a 2 car garage which is two doors separated by a pillar in the middle. I put my Tesla Wall Charger in that middle pillar and I park the Tesla on the right hand side. I could have gotten the 8' charging cable but I went with the 24' instead. Because of that I've been able to charge our X out in the driveway when we were towing a travel trailer or otherwise couldn't pull it in the garage.

Our other charger is a J1772 station towards the front of our garage and charges our Nissan LEAF.

To me, this isn't tongue in cheek at all. My garage is tight for my Volt. The Model 3 is guessed at being 3-4 inches wider than the Volt. Folding mirrors will go a long way to getting my Model 3 in there to charge (and I plan on placing my charge outlet between the two garage doors.)

Best I can tell a Volt with mirrors extended is 84". Our Model X is 89" with mirrors extended and 82" folded. We could get our Model X in the garage without folding the mirrors if we had to but it would be tight. Getting a Model 3 in the garage should be a piece of cake.

I just assumed the 3 would have auto-folding mirrors. Are we now concerned it won't? Even if it's not standard, it'd still be included in something like the premium upgrade package, no?

Auto-folding mirrors based on GPS has not been a feature of any Tesla. There's a fairly good chance Model 3 will get folding mirrors via a press of a button or some other circumstances.

There are very few things I want anything in my life to do or happen 'automatically'. I would likely end up being unnerved by the rear view mirrors folding so upon stopping, or walking away with the fob. Mostly because when I first get into a car, the first thing I do is check my mirrors. I'd hate having to wait for them to unfold every time. So, if the feature is available, I'd likely turn it OFF first thing.

There are very few things I want anything in my life to do or happen 'automatically'. I would likely end up being unnerved by the rear view mirrors folding so upon stopping, or walking away with the fob. Mostly because when I first get into a car, the first thing I do is check my mirrors. I'd hate having to wait for them to unfold every time. So, if the feature is available, I'd likely turn it OFF first thing.
On the X at least, they unfold as you approach the car. And fold when you get far enough away that the car locks. They're always unfolded when I'm in the car. What does unnerve me is the tilt-down when you put it in reverse.

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage