Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Automatically Roll Up Windows When It Start Raining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really easy to add coding that when the window detects enough resistance (pulling higher amps) from something impeding the window, it will stop and roll back down.

Basically what the Germans do.
My 2000 BMW 323i E46 had switches embedded in the rubber trim in the window frame which detected fingers (and heads I suppose). Nothing as fancy as a current measurement.

I suspect that, like Sentry Mode, you'd end up consuming a lot of power with such a feature.

Good point. If it meant keeping the car awake all the time, that’d waste a lot of energy over time.

But there could still be the option of allowing owners to activate it manually through the app. This could actually help save energy by making it less risky to leave your windows cracked open for ventilation on hot sunny days when there’s a 10-20% chance of scattered showers vs the more power-hungry Cabin Overheat Protection.

And I think Tesla could address the “guillotine” concerns, either by sensing obstructions or by having an audible/visual warning on the screen announcing that the windows are about to go up. Or it could use a combination of the side cameras and seat occupancy sensors to make sure no one is in or near the car who could be affected.

Reactions: mswlogo
Since you can remotely lock or unlock your car using your phone,
I wish you can be informed and check if your windows are open or closed,
and be able to open, close, or just crack a little bit any windows,

the same way you can already adjust each seat heating.

When I have passengers, they have open their window and keep it open when leaving the car.
Also, when exiting the car, the driver might also accidently put his hand on the windows buttons.

My 2000 BMW 323i E46 had switches embedded in the rubber trim in the window frame which detected fingers (and heads I suppose). Nothing as fancy as a current measurement.
Extra hardware & coding is less fancy than extra line of code?

if ["window.driver" curr > 1] reverse "window.driver"

Or however they format their code, but that's essentially all it is. System already knows how much power it's sending/using.

Extra hardware & coding is less fancy than extra line of code?

if ["window.driver" curr > 1] reverse "window.driver"

Or however they format their code, but that's essentially all it is. System already knows how much power it's sending/using.
I would rather go with a binary input (an off/on switch) rather than test against some analog limit value (which has to be calibrated at all possible temperature extremes and window driver motor conditions). And yes a switch may not be possible with the 3's frameless windows...

I would like to be able to close the windows with the phone. I do not mind taking out a few fingers that do not belong in my cay anyway.
Yep, closing windows with the phone app seems like the first step here.

As for power consumption, my Sentry Mode doesn't drain my battery at all-- I hardly notice it. Maybe that's just me. But yeah, it would need to make sure it doesn't drain the battery while trying to detect rain.

Reactions: aagosh
I can see me at the drive-through. Car rolls, window up, I move it down, cars knows better and rolls it up, but I'm trying to get my food and roll it down. But again the cat knows better.

Maybe just a notification on the phone, enable camera to see if windows are blocked, and then a button to raise.

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
When I had a BMW i3, the app let me know if any windows were open. Also when locking, I could automatically roll up all windows. I tend to think the window control/state is completely out of the computer loop on the Model 3. Otherwise they'd at least include state information on the app.

Good point. If it meant keeping the car awake all the time, that’d waste a lot of energy over time.

But there could still be the option of allowing owners to activate it manually through the app. This could actually help save energy by making it less risky to leave your windows cracked open for ventilation on hot sunny days when there’s a 10-20% chance of scattered showers vs the more power-hungry Cabin Overheat Protection.

And I think Tesla could address the “guillotine” concerns, either by sensing obstructions or by having an audible/visual warning on the screen announcing that the windows are about to go up. Or it could use a combination of the side cameras and seat occupancy sensors to make sure no one is in or near the car who could be affected.

Couldn't you just skip a step and leave the windows up? You can always pre-condition the car before you get to it, helping with hot or cold temps.

Reactions: pvogel