Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

February 2022 Ordered and Estimated Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was randomly reading about Giga Texas, EPA approval and new battery...and I wonder if this could affect my delivery date of Model Y (current Apr20-May 22) since I am based in Houston.
Can anyone point me to some material to read regarding this new battery? Is this what I should hope to get in my future Y ?

I was randomly reading about Giga Texas, EPA approval and new battery...and I wonder if this could affect my delivery date of Model Y (current Apr20-May 22) since I am based in Houston.
Can anyone point me to some material to read regarding this new battery? Is this what I should hope to get in my future Y ?
There’s a lot of talk and speculation in the Giga Texas thread, but essentially the speculation is that all Texas-built cars will be built with the 4680 cells (Elon said so, and they probably wouldn’t need EPA certification if they were doing 2170s, so this is highly likely). The 4680 cells are a structural pack and use fewer cells than the 2170s for the same range. There’s no indication yet as to whether they’ll put more cells in there to give the Texas Ys more range (unlikely, unless they SW limit for now), or put fewer cells in to match the 2170 range.

The primary benefit is going to come to Tesla - cheaper to make. The cars may be a little lighter, but again, pure speculation.

Giga Texas will be delivering to the eastern 2/3 of the US. Presumably Fremont will retool for 4680s at some point, but no idea when.

Personally, it’d be interesting to have an Austin Y, but I’m not holding my breath.

Edit: just read that you’re in Houston. Apparently, Texas owners can’t take delivery of Texas-made Teslas. So yours would be Fremont unless they ship it out of state and bring it back in (no idea if/how they’d do that yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: Otter2007
I ordered my MPY on Feb 8th, had a Intel based unit as a delivery option on the 27th!

Canceled / put order on hold as I didn't want to purchase a out of day unit (Intel / 12v lead battery).

Got a new EDD of May / June (-doh-) which was just updated to March 13 - March 31!

Woot.

My biggest concern about getting a Texas vehicle is:

1) It probably won't come with a free Larue OBR 7.62...

2) Tesla historically has lots of build quality issues that it takes a year or two to sort out.

I'd love the structural battery as it may be a little lighter and give the car slightly better range, but I'd rather get a MYP that's sorta tried and true at this point.

I ordered my MPY on Feb 8th, had a Intel based unit as a delivery option on the 27th!

Canceled / put order on hold as I didn't want to purchase a out of day unit (Intel / 12v lead battery).

Got a new EDD of May / June (-doh-) which was just updated to March 13 - March 31!

Woot.
Sorry, I could probably look into it a bit more, what were your specs? I ordered on the 9th and have had zero updates with my EDD being 3/9 - 3/31 since order date.

I didn't want to purchase a out of day unit (Intel / 12v lead battery).
Do you mind explaining this to a newbie ? I am sorry guys for all my questions, I never had to think about what components my car was going to have, I have just driven to dealers and bought vehicles till now in my life, this is all new to me....

Do you mind explaining this to a newbie ? I am sorry guys for all my questions, I never had to think about what components my car was going to have, I have just driven to dealers and bought vehicles till now in my life, this is all new to me....
Sure.

It should have said "out of date" MYP

MYP = Model Y Performance
EDD = Estimated Delivery Date

Tesla has a rolling update / grade production line. Unlike model years of other vendors, Tesla makes a version of the car until the run out of parts. Then they swap over to the new ones (more or less).

Many of us that have prior Tesla vehicles are avoiding the older Intel based computer. That computer has been swapped out when an AMD computer which is much faster / snappier. If the case has that computer, it's also got a newer lithium accessory battery (verses a normal 12v car battery), possible all season high performance tires (MYP), and the multilaminated glass in the rear, etc.

As such, some of us have opted to pause our orders and not take the older version of the cars... especially since you pay the same amount.

Sure.

It should have said "out of date" MYP

MYP = Model Y Performance
EDD = Estimated Delivery Date

Tesla has a rolling update / grade production line. Unlike model years of other vendors, Tesla makes a version of the car until the run out of parts. Then they swap over to the new ones (more or less).

Many of us that have prior Tesla vehicles are avoiding the older Intel based computer. That computer has been swapped out when an AMD computer which is much faster / snappier. If the case has that computer, it's also got a newer lithium accessory battery (verses a normal 12v car battery), possible all season high performance tires (MYP), and the multilaminated glass in the rear, etc.

As such, some of us have opted to pause our orders and not take the older version of the cars... especially since you pay the same amount.
Thank you very much for this explanation, but as I look at my MYP EDD being April 20 - May 20, what should I expect in terms of my order. I doubt they are going to ask me "hey do you want an Intel?", this makes me worried now.
The buying experience is relaxed compared to traditional 3 knife fight at the dealer, but this wait and find out things is no less stressful :D

Hi everyone!

New to the forum and to Teslas. Ordered my very first one yesterday (02/27/22) and this morning, my estimated delivery was updated from"April" to "April 12 - May 10". No VIN yet and from what it sounds like, I shouldn't be expecting one soon.

Specs: MYP in midnight silver

Reactions: GooberGrape