Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV Tax Credit - Anyone get a certificate from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

My accountant just said that in the rules for the EV tax credit, you need to be able to present a certificate of certification from the car manufacturer IF asked for it. Meaning you don’t need it to do your return, but will need it if audited.

Did anyone get some kind of certificate from Tesla? I just pulled out my folder and was given nothing but the Motor Vehcile Purhcase Agreement.

My accountant just said that in the rules for the EV tax credit, you need to be able to present a certificate of certification from the car manufacturer IF asked for it. Meaning you don’t need it to do your return, but will need it if audited.

Did anyone get some kind of certificate from Tesla? I just pulled out my folder and was given nothing but the Motor Vehcile Purhcase Agreement.
In the unlikely case you are audited, I'm sure it will be sufficient to present the MVPA showing the purchase date, and point the IRS to its own web site, which has a list of certified vehicles and their cut off dates:

IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Your accountant doesn't know what he's doing. All you need is your VIN and fill out the form 8936. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

Tesla is listed on the IRS website. IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Nah, accountant is following the code literally (CYA for client):
.01 When Certification Permitted. A vehicle manufacturer (or, in the case of a foreign vehicle manufacturer, its domestic distributor) may certify to purchasers that a motor vehicle of a particular make, model, and model year meets all requirements (other than those listed in section 5.02 of this notice) that must be satisfied to claim the new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit allowable under § 30D with respect to the vehicle, if the following requirements are met:
.02 Purchaser’s Reliance. Except as provided in section 5.07 of this notice, a purchaser of a motor vehicle may rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign vehicle manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification concerning the vehicle and the amount of the credit allowable with respect to the vehicle (including in cases in which the certification is received after the purchase of the vehicle).
However, certification does not mean a certificate.
Full breakdown of the credit:
Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2009-48 | Internal Revenue Service

The closest I know of such things was the Tesla web site stating that cars delivered by midnight Dec 31, 2018 were eligible for the full credit.

The IRS is well aware of Tesla's status, there will not be an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Zidarich
Thanks guys. Yes, this is the bit he was referring to:

“The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.”

He’s just being extra safe and trying to protect me in case the IRS does give issue.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing some paperwork that I should have gotten.

Reactions: mongo
my 2018 return was audited and the IRS is asking for both the sales contract (MVPA) AND the Manufacturer's Certification. Googling, I've only seen people, or their accountant, looking for this prior to filing their return (like the OP here), but not anyone needing it for proof of the car qualifying after the filing. anyone know if this is a typical document per model, or car specific? and how to obtain it? I'll call Tesla tomorrow, but expect to speak to someone who has no idea what the certification is.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
my 2018 return was audited and the IRS is asking for both the sales contract (MVPA) AND the Manufacturer's Certification. Googling, I've only seen people, or their accountant, looking for this prior to filing their return (like the OP here), but not anyone needing it for proof of the car qualifying after the filing. anyone know if this is a typical document per model, or car specific? and how to obtain it? I'll call Tesla tomorrow, but expect to speak to someone who has no idea what the certification is.
Tell (ask) the IRS to look at the IRS's web site:
First plug-in electric vehicle manufacturer crosses 200,000 sold threshold;Tax credit for eligible consumers begins phase down on Jan. 1 | Internal Revenue Service
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/first-...eligible-consumers-begins-phase-down-on-jan-1

I've received copies of the 2018 Model 3 Tesla Manufactures Certifications for both the RWD and AWD/AWD+P versions of the car, attached for anyone still dealing with the IRS on a 2018 return.
And also have the contact information for the agent assigned to Tesla who has offered to assist any others. If you need that, let me know and I can PM her info privately.

Attachments

• Cert Model3 2018 RWD.pdf
    156.3 KB · Views: 477
  • Cert Model3 2018 AWD.pdf
    155.4 KB · Views: 343
Do you suppose, just to be a good Boy Scout and "be prepared", that you could ask for the same re: the 2019 "model year"?

I certainly would save that to my records too if you posted. Rather then her getting 100 people PMing it would be awesome if she could provide for the SR, SR+, LR RWD, AWD, and Performance and then you just post them here and a mod makes it sticky. It's unlikely many people will need it, but would be a HUUUUUGE time saver if we do, rather then trying to remember who knew who to ask for it.

SR+ here so at least get that one ;)