Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback from BMW or other premium brand converts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta figure out also if I want the 8 ft or 25 ft HPWC. The 8 foot would be plenty for where I'm going to park the car in the garage, but wondering if I should plan ahead in case the garage is full for a project or something (happens once or twice a year for a couple days) and I need to charge the car in the driveway.

Any downside to getting the longer cord, aside from having to store a longer cord? I'm planning to mount the HPWC where the red circle is.

1476393181.png

Gotta figure out also if I want the 8 ft or 25 ft HPWC. The 8 foot would be plenty for where I'm going to park the car in the garage, but wondering if I should plan ahead in case the garage is full for a project or something (happens once or twice a year for a couple days) and I need to charge the car in the driveway.

Any downside to getting the longer cord, aside from having to store a longer cord? I'm planning to mount the HPWC where the red circle is.

View attachment 384974

Get the 25’ for the exact reason you mentioned. No real downsides other than managing the fairly thick cord.

View attachment 384974

This is what the longer cable looks like. Spend $25 on one of those cable hooks and it will be entirely out of the way when you need it to be, while still allowing you to leave the car just outside the garage and charge it.

5D69E49A-411B-4C91-A836-A32884CAC1BF.jpeg

Reactions: destructure00

View attachment 384974

The only downside is cord storage which is not that big of a deal.

A 25 foot cord likely lets you charge both garage stalls and you can also charge a car in your driveway if needed.

Reactions: Scott7
Got a call from my sales center, there is an identical 2018 demo model (VIN 082257) available with 2000 miles on it. They offered a discount of $2420 from my 2019 new price. Not sure what to do...what would any of you do?

I ordered Performance 3, pearl white, white interior, AP and FSD for $69000.

The demo is a 2018 with 2000 miles, Performance 3, pearl white, white interior, AP (no FSD), $61580

Add $5000 FSD purchase to the demo to compare apples to apples, and we're at $69k for my ordered car vs $66580 for the demo, difference of $2420.

I am actually ordering the exact same car this weekend after the Model Y event tomorrow... :)

Personally, I wouldn't take the demo. That is a low VIN number, so who knows what improvements are included in the new 2019 model vs. the 2018 demo you would get. Additionally the demo's can get a lot of wear and tear use on the interior / exterior. I would want a much bigger discount personally (probably double that) to take the demo.

Here is a thread I started to crowd source information on all of the improvements that have been made to the Model 3 since release: Updates Tesla has made to the M3 thus far

Got a call from my sales center, there is an identical 2018 demo model (VIN 082257) available with 2000 miles on it. They offered a discount of $2420 from my 2019 new price. Not sure what to do...what would any of you do?

The demo is a 2018 with 2000 miles, Performance 3, pearl white, white interior, AP (no FSD), $61580

Add $5000 FSD purchase to the demo to compare apples to apples, and we're at $69k for my ordered car vs $66580 for the demo, difference of $2420.
I would not take that even for a 10K reduction in price. That is super low VIN. Right now they are at VIN 324146. That means they have made 3 times the cars since that model. The early models where plagued with defects and many parts have been redesigned from experience learned from early failures. That car is also most likely a buyer reject since there where many of those early on which suffered from panel gap defects and paint defects. They usually fix those and resell them at a small discount like this. In my opinion the discount should be way higher more in line with 50% off.

Especially that you ordered a performance model and expect the quality coming from a BMW and Tesla being known for poor build quality, I would not touch that low VIN car with a 10 foot pole. Get a new build, you will be much happier.

• Informative
I would not take that even for a 10K reduction in price. That is super low VIN. Right now they are at VIN 324146. That means they have made 3 times the cars since that model. The early models where plagued with defects and many parts have been redesigned from experience learned from early failures. That car is also most likely a buyer reject since there where many of those early on which suffered from panel gap defects and paint defects. They usually fix those and resell them at a small discount like this. In my opinion the discount should be way higher more in line with 50% off.

Especially that you ordered a performance model and expect the quality coming from a BMW and Tesla being known for poor build quality, I would not touch that low VIN car with a 10 foot pole. Get a new build, you will be much happier.

Wholeheartedly agree. Tesla makes changes incredibly quickly. Go with as new of a car as you possibly can.

Thanks for the input. I passed on the demo car, told my advisor I'll wait for my order to be built.

My HPWC should be here Friday, that'll give me something to do while I wait. Should keep me busy for an hour or two this weekend anyway...installation will hopefully be easy, my main panel is on the outside of the same wall I'm planning to install the cable on. I bought 10 feet of 6/3 wire, probably only needed 2.

Thanks for the input. I passed on the demo car, told my advisor I'll wait for my order to be built.

My HPWC should be here Friday, that'll give me something to do while I wait. Should keep me busy for an hour or two this weekend anyway...installation will hopefully be easy, my main panel is on the outside of the same wall I'm planning to install the cable on. I bought 10 feet of 6/3 wire, probably only needed 2.

Good call. Newer should (hopefully) mean a lot fewer headaches.

Came from an Audi S4, ordered to my exact specs, blue exterior with red on black interior, daily driver, ECU tuned and tracked about 8 times. Loved it, but new job cut commute short with all surface street driving. It was no longer fun to drive with on crappy streets. Was not really ready to make the jump to electric yet, but expiration of the full incentive made me do it (in hindsight could've waited). I really like my 3, but not loving it yet. It's fun to drive, feels faster than my S4 even though 0-60 times are similar, and I hope to track it after wheels/tires/suspension upgrades. My biggest cons are lack of color options inside and out, seating material, and fit/finish. I miss my old S4's red/black Nappa leather interior the most, then the supercharger whine.

Reactions: Perry

You want the newest tesla you can get. I would personally never buy a demo tesla, as they dont discount them enough (and no way I would want a NEW one that relatively old). Tesla iterates constantly (not just on model year changes) for parts and such, so I would always want the "freshest" one I could get my hands on for that reason.

Ok ordered. Here we goooooooooooo!

Wow - that didn't take long! ;)

Not that I'd have expected it to. The Model 3 P isn't perfect (no car is), but it IS a fantastic ride, and a joy to own and drive. Congrats!

FWIW, I drove Audis for 20 years (wife still has her Q5 TDi) and though I enjoyed them all, my Model 3P is my favorite car ever!

I agree with you on the differentiation...although in my case, I'm coming from a $57k 340i, which looks essentially identical to a base $35k 3 series, aside from wheels, color (my blue is only available with M-Sport package), and brakes. Coincidentally, these are basically the same visual differentiations that the Performance 3 has against the base $35k Model 3. So I can reconcile that.

Regarding FSD and HW3, if the later upgrade is free, then it really doesn't matter if I order today and get HW2.5 with a free upgrade "someday", or wait and get HW3 from the factory, right? HW3 hardware upgrade would become available when the capability to use the features in HW3 become available? I guess that's all speculation, until it's not...
You could be waiting a long time...just think of all the driving you missed out on!

I just got in my wife's Mercedes GLE43 to see if we could switch sides on the garage to make HPWC install easier, and even after just 23 hours in possession of the Turo rental I was surprised at the noise and vibration from her SUV. What's happening to me? I used to be a gearhead... :confused:

Yep, mine has this. They didn't do a great job, it still sounds very synthetic. I'm surprised an EV maker would add that. Part of the "luxury" feeling of the 3 is how quiet it is IMO.

:D Thanks

Thanks! I'll be tracking the Model 3 sooner or later. Excited to see how it compares to my 340.
Wait till you realize how gross gas stations are...think it’s a joke? It’s a matter of time.

Tell them to throw in FSD for free and inspect it...I would take it

Had a 2026 F80 BMW M3...bought my P3D+ FSD EAP sight unseen and no test drive. The Tesla is in another league. BMW F80 sounds like a fart machine on a cold start. The Tesla is much much much quicker and handles better. The F80 DCT is herky jerky and the BMW traction control has the car doing all sort# of gyrations trying to hook up with some rear wheel grip. The BMW has buttons, switches and knobs everywhere .... some perceive this as “luxury”...I perceive this as an ergonomic mess that just collects dust and is hard to keep clean. BMW only had two advantages....the media integration destroys Tesla....REALLY ODD...and the BMW paint while more orange peely is more tough and durable. If you get the Tesla and you are a car aficionado then take the Tesla straight into a place that will PPF the car. Other than that...the Tesla makes the BMW F80 M3 feel like an ancient dinosaur. Garbage compared to the P3D Tesla.