Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling Family in the Supercharger Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike my other car companies, Tesla gives a unique experience that brings drivers together at the Supercharging Stations.

It's kinda cute how many similar looking cars (including Model X) are together with variety of colors.

Am I the only one who feels that it's like a family reunion? :D

Sometimes I visit Buena Park supercharging station where there are also 50+ new Teslas are parked along with 8 other charging cars. I don't remember visiting dealers this often.

On our Easter trip from Chicago to Ithaca NY area we supercharged 7 times and saw no other cars. We did the drive in the evening and night though so kid could sleep and we didn't lose a workday. Maybe there are few night owl owners like myself. I've seen a ton supercharging at Highland Park SC at all hours. No one has ever spoken to me there. I myself just do work if I'm forced to charge there.

its most certainly a more intimate experience meeting other tesla owners. Its a pretty exclusive club ;) Basically anyone can buy a Toyota or Ford or even Lexus ;) hell even a base model mercedes can be as low as $30k.

And with 400K Model 3's in the next few years it will be a much larger and less exclusive club. More like a party, I suppose.

I've been alone at many, met other owners at many, waited in line for a couple.

I will say, it USED to feel like a family.

Folks wanted to talk about the car, where you were from, where you were going, what your delivery swag was, etc... (well, not DC through Boston so much - sheesh - but most everywhere else)

However, I've seen a huge difference in the past 6-8 months where this has really changed. Forget the Model 3 impacting things, as it already is underway. I think a lot of new owners are "just" car buyers and not enthusiasts or believers in the mission. No waves when you pass them, no chat at a charger, not even a nod!

Oh well. It was bound to happen and a necessary evil as "the cause" becomes reality...

Nowadays, I really appreciate the conversations that DO happen - like just today in Santee - as they are becoming more rare.

I agree with Shonline. Not only did it feel like family, but there was a good chance that I had met the other owners at a Tesla event or on another road trip. On our first supercharger road trip, we were charging at Harris Ranch when it was one stall (there were only 6 superchargers all in California at the time. We saw a white Tesla driving up and my wife commented, I wonder if that is Richard, and sure enough it was.

Everyone got out of there car and chatted while charging the first year or two. Now it is rare when owners hang around while charging. I upgraded and got a new Tesla with supecharging to life, but i wonder if Tesla will be able to keep up with the model 3 production.

I

Folks wanted to talk about the car, where you were from, where you were going, what your delivery swag was, etc... (well, not DC through Boston so much - sheesh - but most everywhere else)

However, I've seen a huge difference in the past 6-8 months where this has really changed. Forget the Model 3 impacting things, as it already is underway. I think a lot of new owners are "just" car buyers and not enthusiasts or believers in the mission. No waves when you pass them, no chat at a charger, not even a nod!

Right? i researched this car obsessively for 6 weeks before ordering, stalking the forums, watching the video. i basically knew my car in and out the day i took delivery. Meanwhile you have people out there who didn't know their car could do this, or that. They just bought a car cuz "oh look tesla, electric, etc" Common folk... hahaha. Literally saw a guy online who didn't know what autosteer was :|

Am I the only one who feels that it's like a family reunion?

Like Shonline, I lament that there are not enough other owners who want to talk. I wish it was more like family! (Or maybe it's like a real family, with no one really caring about their "stupid cousins"! ;) )

Sometimes I visit Buena Park supercharging station where there are also 50+ new Teslas are parked along with 8 other charging cars. I don't remember visiting dealers this often.

And you don't have a photo or two to share?!

If only... The supercharger near my house is rarely used. But on those rare occasions when someone is there I make it a point to stop by and say hi.

BTW, two nights ago there was a white S with manufacturer plates. Stripped interior, right hand drive and a pyranometer on the roof. At first I thought (hoped, actually) it was a 3 but it was a S. Driver was happy to talk. About the only thing he declined to say was where he was headed.

Regarding the pyranometer, he said all Ss have them. Just not sticking up on the roof like his.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
So it seems that the general consensus is that more buyers cause the dilution of the car enthusiasts, which then causes the less family feeling.

Good to hear from buyers from years ago and share the charging station story in the old days.

At the same time, there are people who don't like to speak to strangers and want to charge quick and go home.

Unlike my other car companies, Tesla gives a unique experience that brings drivers together at the Supercharging Stations.

It's kinda cute how many similar looking cars (including Model X) are together with variety of colors.

Am I the only one who feels that it's like a family reunion? :D

You're not the only one. I've had quick top-off "oh I only need a few minutes to get my margin" charges turn into range charges ("oops, my battery's full") when I got into conversations with other Supercharging owners. At this time of the year I'm not likely to want to hang out outdoors (allergies), but I do try to at least make eye contact with other owners and/or wave. As a few people mentioned, that seems to happen less often now, but it's still fun.

Funny you mention Buena Park. The one time I've been there, all chargers were full, and the two waiting drivers ahead of me got into a shouting match (which threatened to become a demolition derby) over who got dibs on the next available stall. Yeah, just like a family. :eek:

Bruce.

Tesla owners in North Shore IL don't wave. Some are really rude. Other EV owners are much nicer. When I drive my LEAF, I've never passed another leaf without getting a wave back. Sometimes the other car beats me to it. I've had a conversation with a MiEV owner on the highway once about range anxiety.

After getting my (then) 60D, I have gotten 1 wave back from a Tesla owner (WI plates -- go figure). I really don't like the fact people are buying Teslas because they are popular and not because they are EVs or the particular quirks of a Tesla. I feel customer dissastisfaction will be higher because these are uninformed buyers.

Then again, I was in the Highland Park Service Center getting an AP update pushed and the sales staff there were on their A game. It was a Saturday afternoon and they had me thinking about buying an X. While I was listening to their conversations with other future owners, I felt like those that bought online were less informed than those that took their time and did multiple visits and realized how EV ownership is a totally different game. I like that Tesla has made EVs an option for everyone but I don't like the masses, so I guess its the end of an era. 4 years ago owning an EV was distinguishing and seeing another one (besides my brother's LEAF) was something to get excited about. Now, and its bittersweet, but EVs are far more common and therefore people just don't care as much.

Reactions: shonline
No waves when you pass them, no chat at a charger, not even a nod!
I've had my car for 3 months and I'd say I wave at 10-12 people a week on average. In that time, not one person has waved back. Even the people literally in the lane next to me don't even bother looking over. I must admit, it's a bit disappointing. One day someone will eventually wave back and they will be my new bff lol.

• Funny
Reactions: shonline
I always at least wave, if people seem interested I'm more than happy to strike up a conversation if I'm waiting anyway. I've met some very cool people at my supercharger stops. Last time I was driving through Glen Allen, VA and stopped as per usual my wife and I ended up talking to a woman who was a new owner of a cpo and was making videos about her experience. Very nice lady, and maybe we're on some random youtube video somewhere now :)

The Supercharger experience has been hit and miss with me. My visit out to Louisville was met with a great local guy who was the CEO of the University which donated the land for the charger location. We discussed all sorts of stuff about our cars including my Eco-Hitch. In other charging locations, the other drivers pretty much kept to themselves and once in awhile a nod or a parting wave is passed along.

Of course I also get lots of comments from drive-by Tesla wannabees - stating that they can't wait to get their Model 3's when they come out.

The one bit of human interaction I don't like is when a homeless person comes up to me multiple times and asks for hand-outs. To be honest, that part brings my back up because my car is tethered to the charger. I can't unplug and drive away without getting out of the car. Potentially this is a safety issue late at night so I try to avoid that scenario. I can't imagine sleeping in my car at a charging station as some people have mentioned....

Croman triggered a memory for me. For us, it depends on where we go. People from some parts of the USA are just downright rude and some are overly friendly. Sure, there area always exceptions, yet we have been able to draw a distinct correlation between friendliness and where they live. I won't insult some people who might be from some of the areas where we have had the most rude experiences, but our friendliest locations were in the mid south.