Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FHP cuts Model S a break.... You're welcome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually they get you for "exhibition of speed" when you rev your engine or squeal the tires. If you avoid those, you should be fine.
And it seems to be mostly limited to CA. There was no such law in any of the last three states I've lived, and haven't heard of such a law elsewhere.

Had I learned to drive stick in San Francisco, who knows how many asinine "exhibition of speed" tickets I would have gotten... what a dumb law.

Usually they get you for "exhibition of speed" when you rev your engine or squeal the tires. If you avoid those, you should be fine.

And it seems to be mostly limited to CA. There was no such law in any of the last three states I've lived, and haven't heard of such a law elsewhere.

I've heard of people getting tickets for "excessive acceleration". A little googling suggests that exists in at least a handful of states. I tend to agree with liuping though, that you're probably not going to be noticed for that in a Model S.

nah, that's flowing with traffic down here in FL.... safer than the putz going 50 in a 70 in the left lane...

I totally agree. Breaking the law is breaking the law. More people need to be caught to realize why there's a speed limit in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a ticket for "demonstration of acceleration"....

I've heard of people getting tickets for "excessive acceleration". A little googling suggests that exists in at least a handful of states. I tend to agree with liuping though, that you're probably not going to be noticed for that in a Model S.

Earlier in the thread there was a request for the midwest point of view... :)

I find that most people on Illinois interstates (current speed limit 65 mph until next year when it increases to 70) are traveling about 70 mph. Driving 65, you'll be passed by most people. Driving 74, you'll pass most people (but not all).

As far as the traffic stop threshold, the local & county departments around here roughly use about 10% + 2 mph. I have been told that a 2-lane, 55 mph highway threshold tends to be 63-64 or higher. In town, you'll be pulled over if you're doing 40 in a 35. On the Interstate highways, 73 is pretty safe (unless you're doing a lot of swerving / lane changes / etc.) and 74 depends on the officer's day - anything higher and you'll be hunted down by the rolling bubble gum machine.

Of course, we have a local town here who - in the interest of public saf^H^H^Hfundraising, will stop non-residents for 37 in a 35 (it used to be 36 mph but someone beat them in court for the +/- 1 mph tolerance of their radar units). So YMMV.

The My Tesla Website changed to "In Production - The Factory is building your Model S" sometime today. Looks like it's really gonna happen. 6 days and counting...

Alright! Creeping up on 1 week for me. A grin is also slowly creeping onto my face :)

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, we have a local town here who - in the interest of public saf^H^H^Hfundraising, will stop non-residents for 37 in a 35 (it used to be 36 mph but someone beat them in court for the +/- 1 mph tolerance of their radar units). So YMMV.

Anyone pulled over for 2 over should hire a lawyer. No way a judge will hold that one up and great odds the PO won't show at court.

A friend of mine who runs a car service in NJ uses a 10% rule--i.e., don't exceed the speed limit by more than 10%. Of course, professional chauffeurs would be in a world of hurt if they got pulled over for speeding, so the 10% rule is ultra-conservative.

FWIW, this summary of states' traffic laws only names Maine and Wisconsin as having a law against excessive acceleration. Many more states prohibit excessive engine noise or chirping/spinning tires on acceleration, but that shouldn't be a problem for Tesla drivers. :)

There is a law called "exhibition of speed" that they can pop you for accelerating too fast.

Only if they can prove that you were "exhibiting". Simply accelerating quickly does not, in itself, constitute exhibitionism.

- - - Updated - - -

if you go 73 in a 65 around here, you'll get tailgated, beeped at, high beamed, the finger, cut off, sprayed with windshield wiper fluid, and then brake checked. and then probably the finger again as they burn rubber and kick up rocks onto your hood. happy NJ driving!

I'll make sure that I avoid such a hell hole.

FWIW, this summary of states' traffic laws only names Maine and Wisconsin as having a law against excessive acceleration. Many more states prohibit excessive engine noise or chirping/spinning tires on acceleration, but that shouldn't be a problem for Tesla drivers. :)

Illinois has a law "driving too fast for conditions", completely subjective and completely used by the police when they see/hear something that looks dangerous.