Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FHP cuts Model S a break.... You're welcome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My best buddy nailed an MS owner for 89 in a 65 in Palm Beach today....

He's under strict orders to never write a Model S....

Enjoy your warning.

3 weeks after I picked up my S, a CHP officer running a speed trap got me at 82 in a 65. Even with a clean record, he would only reduce my violation to 80 in a 65. No major breaks for me. But it also was clear that I was far from the first S he had pulled over. His first words to me as I rolled down my passenger side window were 'That's a really quiet car, isn't it?'.

YMMV.

It isn't that I don't ever speed, because I do (but seldom if ever do I hit the high 80s), but bragging about going nearly 90mph and not expecting a cop to ticket you seems a little entitled to me.

While Model S is built like a tank, physics doesn't change. Go back to that simple equation about kinetic energy where the velocity is squared and multiplied by the mass and then divided by two. Sure, the car is heavy, but speed will kill you. Drive safe. Drive smart. If you want to drive really fast, drive on a closed track. Just my 2¢, and not even worth that much to most.

This is also the reason why a relatively small asteroid, say 5-6 miles in diameter, can wipe out 98% of all life on Earth because most of the impact energy comes from the high velocity (over 30,000 MPH), not necessarily the mass of the impactor. This could be one reason why people say "speed kills", although I recently saw an amusing Canadian video disputing that:

Speed Kills Your Pocketbook - YouTube

I was on 95 in fort lauderdale tuesday when FHP roared up behind me in the HOV lane. I was on cruize control at 70, I think he was going to bust me for not having a passenger. I seriously doubt that they would let a certain model go. They love their revenue.

I thought the speed limit was 95 on I-95.... no?? :)

That being said, cops around here don't seem to care unless your car looks like it's out of fast and furious, or it's an old junker, or you look ghetto (aka racing profiling, ... yes that happens despite what they say). I've been pulled over at least 45 times in my old Camaro (I used to keep a log book of every incident lol). I stopped counting since then. It's probably more like 60. You might think I'm exaggerating but I'm not. Muscle cars around here especially with any tint you'll get stopped for looks alone. Even doing 60 in a 55 they'll still pull you over just to check you out. I think jersey is a big drug trafficking state though, especially on the NJT. so any reason at all you may look like your up to no good they'll stop you.

However now with the Model S, they don't seem to care. Not even with the tinted windows. I've blown by plenty at 70-75 in a 55, 85+ in a 65, and I've even passed one in the right lane doing 65 in a 50. I must not look like enough trouble anymore in a fancy luxury car. The one time I was doing 85 on the turnpike and one of the state trooper SUVs pulled out behind me from hiding behind an overpass (totally thought I was nailed), he pulled the car over next to me instead haha. That was a ghetto looking fast and furious car too with two guys in it. I guess because my car doesn't look ghetto anymore they don't seem to care? Beats me. My driving habits certainly haven't changed though haha

I probably totally just jinxed myself and now I fully expect to get stopped tomorrow.

I was on 95 in fort lauderdale tuesday when FHP roared up behind me in the HOV lane. I was on cruize control at 70, I think he was going to bust me for not having a passenger. I seriously doubt that they would let a certain model go. They love their revenue.
Your story just made me realize that we can't simply let off the throttle to slow down without illuminating the highway with our brake lights at night when we see a police officer. I'm going to miss that. Officers in the extended family say they often look for cars that brake or noticeably nose-down (weight transfer to front wheels) when approaching them. :(

If you want to drive really fast, drive on a closed track.

+1!

The top speed I have done in my Model S is 203 kph (127 mph). That was done legally, on a closed track. Incidentally the radar and the Model S speedometer agreed exactly.

You do have to be a bit careful on the street with the Model S. You can get into impound-the-car territory very quickly without realizing it.

I totally agree. Breaking the law is breaking the law. More people need to be caught to realize why there's a speed limit in the first place.
I'd somewhat agree, except for the police that go flying down the highway at speeds well above the posted limit (at least 20 over if not more)

Apparently they can take the risk, and if they get into a wreck, they get a new car and no points on their record, and even if they are at fault, nothing ever happens - even if it results in fatalities.

When it comes to the boring, level, straight and smoothly paved sections of I-95 we encounter as we travel between NC and FL, I have absolutely no issue with folks going 15 or more over the limit, assuming they are competent drivers.

Your story just made me realize that we can't simply let off the throttle to slow down without illuminating the highway with our brake lights at night when we see a police officer. I'm going to miss that. Officers in the extended family say they often look for cars that brake or noticeably nose-down (weight transfer to front wheels) when approaching them. :(
If he's still in front of you lift and brake hard - there are anti dive mechanisms that reduce nose dive.

then as you pass him add just enough throttle to reduce the regen... below 50kwh and the brake light won't come on :)

I totally agree. Breaking the law is breaking the law. More people need to be caught to realize why there's a speed limit in the first place.

The United States instituted a National Maximum Speed Law of 55 mph as part of the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act in response to the 1973 oil crisis to reduce fuel consumption.

Since the Model S consumes no fuel/oil, I see no reason to abide by any speed limits.

besides, I AM THE LAW!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When it's safe, I drive my P85 fast (high 70s, sometimes low 80's). No apologies. I expect I'll get ticketed someday.
The speed limit on the highway nearest me is 70. If you aren't going at least 75 to 80 most times, you had best be parked in the break down lane! Pretty sure this is a widespread occurrence: whatever the posted limit is, folks will go about 10 MPH over that, if not more. Anything less, you'll about get run off the road.

Set your Regen to low when on the highway and when you lioft off the accelerator it does not trigger the brake lights.