Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Figured out Pixel 2 Bluetooth constantly disconnecting issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my model X last week and I'm loving it, it's an amazing car. My Pixel 2 has the Pie OS.

One major problem that I've had since I got the car was my Pixel 2 Bluetooth kept on disconnecting and reconnecting every 30 seconds or so without fail. It would get in contact and then disconnect and then connect and disconnect. Not being able to make phone calls while I'm driving was a real annoyance.

I tried to restart my phone, I tried to reset the car, I enabled developer options in my settings and tried different versions of Bluetooth. Nothing worked.

I tried the process of elimination and started turning off different options within the Bluetooth settings.

I realize that if I kept the phone call only and turned off the audio/media, plus HD audio, plus phone book syncing, the Bluetooth problem goes away and the phone stays connected!

I know it's not ideal especially with the contact not being synced but at least I can make phone calls while I'm driving plus using the OK Google command on my phone helps make the calls hands free.

Give it a shot and let me know if that works!

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Adding a picture of the settings. The HD audio comes up if I had emailed media audio.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180818-134437.png
    Screenshot_20180818-134437.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 461
Got my model X last week and I'm loving it, it's an amazing car. My Pixel 2 has the Pie OS.

One major problem that I've had since I got the car was my Pixel 2 Bluetooth kept on disconnecting and reconnecting every 30 seconds or so without fail. It would get in contact and then disconnect and then connect and disconnect. Not being able to make phone calls while I'm driving was a real annoyance.

I tried to restart my phone, I tried to reset the car, I enabled developer options in my settings and tried different versions of Bluetooth. Nothing worked.

I tried the process of elimination and started turning off different options within the Bluetooth settings.

I realize that if I kept the phone call only and turned off the audio/media, plus HD audio, plus phone book syncing, the Bluetooth problem goes away and the phone stays connected!

I know it's not ideal especially with the contact not being synced but at least I can make phone calls while I'm driving plus using the OK Google command on my phone helps make the calls hands free.

Give it a shot and let me know if that works!
The way that I read this is that you don't have it figured out but have a poor man's workaround by disabling some fundamental features.

I have the same problem on my Samsung (Android) phone. Same workaround.

I see a lot of fuss on various forums (including Tesla's) about problems with iPhones, but my wife's iPhone works fine on our X and it is my Android with the problem you seem to be describing.

The way that I read this is that you don't have it figured out but have a poor man's workaround by disabling some fundamental features.

I have the same problem on my Samsung (Android) phone. Same workaround.

I see a lot of fuss on various forums (including Tesla's) about problems with iPhones, but my wife's iPhone works fine on our X and it is my Android with the problem you seem to be describing.

Yes, the poor man's workaround is right. The other stuff is nice but the simple act of making and taking calls was the important part. Agreed it would be better if the others worked as well.

I googled solutions many times but never came across this fix, so thought I would share it for the next person.

Also side note, same here, my wife's iPhone 8 works with no issue. Which is annoying !

Try checking your contacts on your phone and make sure there aren't symbols in any of your contacts [e.g. &#()@]. This fixed the issue for me on a Model 3 that didn't have this issue on my older Model S. Perhaps the newer CID share some same code for contacts? Dashes or hyphens work fine for me.
You are amazing. That was exactly it! Went through all the contacts via Google contacts webpage on my laptop and cleared at my special characters. Connected without issue!!

Thank you very much!

You are amazing. That was exactly it! Went through all the contacts via Google contacts webpage on my laptop and cleared at my special characters. Connected without issue!!

Thank you very much!
I can't take credit for it but only found the solution myself recently through a reddit post. I can only hope to have this spread more frequently as it took me over 6mos to resolve this issue myself.

Try checking your contacts on your phone and make sure there aren't symbols in any of your contacts [e.g. &#()@]. This fixed the issue for me on a Model 3 that didn't have this issue on my older Model S. Perhaps the newer CID share some same code for contacts? Dashes or hyphens work fine for me.
This solved issue for OP, but I wanted to point out that when I the same problem cropped up with my Nexus 6P running Oreo (that had previously already been connected to my X and working fine), I just deleted and re-added the phone to resolve the issue.

I have this same problem with a note 8. I tried disabling the other stuff like you tried but it still disconnects evry 20 seconds or so. Tesla service has no clue and says it's a 'known bug.'

Phone worked with loaner no problems and a second phone works with my X no problem.

I have this same problem with a note 8. I tried disabling the other stuff like you tried but it still disconnects evry 20 seconds or so. Tesla service has no clue and says it's a 'known bug.'

Phone worked with loaner no problems and a second phone works with my X no problem.

I also have a Note 8 with no problems on my X (knock on wood). Try the contact list edit if you haven't. Although I don't understand why it wouldn't work otherwise.

Last edited:
tried cleaning up the contacts, took out all the special characters and it still disconnects. SUPER annoying.
I don't know if the X has a sync contacts option (I don't recall seeing it on the S) like the 3, but try turning that off and see if it stays connected. If the option isn't available from the car, do it from the phone. At least you can rule out whether contacts is the issue. I ran without contacts for 6 mos due to it constantly disconnecting. Every now and then the contacts option was set to sync again even though I specifically told it not to.

Thank you. After months of doing eveything I could find online to fix my bluetooth issues with my android and my Tesla model 3 this fixed it. I removed all special characters from my contacts and my bluetooth is FINALLY working after 4 months of frusteration.

Reactions: Jimmy T
This fixed my wife's phone's connecting issue. She had a pixel 2, then a pixel 3 and had the issue on both. Finally found this!
Unbelievable. Thanks for posting this here!

Reactions: Jimmy T