Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally drove a Model Y…it was incredible!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is old news to most of you but I had never been inside a Tesla before today. It was a MYLR with 20" Induction wheels. I am planning to order a MYP in mid July but after driving the LR I am questioning if I need that much more speed. I couldn't believe how fast the MY was! I have had some fast cars in the past and the MYLR felt like it was on a whole different level. I was also very impressed with the overall build quality and fit & finish inside. The seats were also very comfortable!

We got our MYLR in February and have not regretted a moment since. We were in the market to get a new car and the timing for the US Federal Tax Credit helped us decide. This is our second EV and it's by far much better than our 2019 Kia Niro EV. In fact, my wife and I draw straws over who gets to drive, whether it's five or 250 miles. That never happened with the Niro.

Reactions: SO16
People seem to think that the "Performance" models of Teslas are fast cars. They really aren't.

ALL Teslas are fast cars. The "performance" versions just tend to make it stupidly fast.

Even the slowest Tesla is probably going to leave all of your other cars in the dust.

My nephew was going to get a Model Y performance. I took our standard Model Y over to let him drive. He was a performance car type of guy.

He was floored with the performance of the standard Model Y.

And to put it another way, there are very few places on regular roads on which you will ever be able to legally notice the difference. The standard Model Y easily can make it to the next light AND get a ticket at the same time.

People seem to think that the "Performance" models of Teslas are fast cars. They really aren't.

ALL Teslas are fast cars. The "performance" versions just tend to make it stupidly fast.

Even the slowest Tesla is probably going to leave all of your other cars in the dust.

My nephew was going to get a Model Y performance. I took our standard Model Y over to let him drive. He was a performance car type of guy.

He was floored with the performance of the standard Model Y.

And to put it another way, there are very few places on regular roads on which you will ever be able to legally notice the difference. The standard Model Y easily can make it to the next light AND get a ticket at the same time.

Its all relative. I rented a Model Y for a week and missed the power of the M3P. I'm sure Plaid owners think our cars are neutered 😁

This is old news to most of you but I had never been inside a Tesla before today. It was a MYLR with 20" Induction wheels. I am planning to order a MYP in mid July but after driving the LR I am questioning if I need that much more speed. I couldn't believe how fast the MY was! I have had some fast cars in the past and the MYLR felt like it was on a whole different level. I was also very impressed with the overall build quality and fit & finish inside. The seats were also very comfortable!

Wait'll you get a load of the superior acceleration and handling of the Model 3.

Its all relative. I rented a Model Y for a week and missed the power of the M3P. I'm sure Plaid owners think our cars are neutered 😁

Plaid makes the difference from 60 to 150 MPH. M3P and MYP look drastically pale in that speed bracket ( figure PLAID is at least TWICE as fast)
Under 60 its all "the same" - stupid fast. With only a second difference - you really can't notice due to the utter chaos in any of the teslas from stand still

The MYLR is quick, but downright sluggish compared to our Signature Model X in Ludicrous mode, not the Ludicrous+. I can feel the SW lock on accelleration in a MYLR w/o AB. I just can't justify AB to my wife or kids who tell me its a waste of money.

Then go drive a non-Tesla. This is a non-Tesla owner that I'm trying to convey information to.

And just because I was expecting someone to add a snyde remark, that's why I explicitly said

I try not to confuse people with real questions

Reactions: Gumball
Plaid makes the difference from 60 to 150 MPH. M3P and MYP look drastically pale in that speed bracket ( figure PLAID is at least TWICE as fast)
Under 60 its all "the same" - stupid fast. With only a second difference - you really can't notice due to the utter chaos in any of the teslas from stand still
That's exactly why I stated

on which you will ever be able to legally notice the difference

Reactions: jeewee3000
MYP Pros: ~3.5 second 0-60
MYP Cons: Heavy wheels, loss of range, stiff suspension

MYLR+AB Pros: Softer suspension, longer range, less costly
MYLR+AB Cons: ~4.0 second 0-60 (slightly slower than the MYP)
So, the performance, 100% has a stiffer suspension?
Want to verify, as we may be in the market for a new Y in the next few weeks, and do not want a stiff suspension.

I've heard some say it's the same, some it's different.

thanks

C’mon, there’s no such thing as too much speed! 😄

Ok, so I’m just kidding. If MYLR-AB is fast enough for you then that’s great. I went for the MYP mostly because I just liked the idea of having the fastest version of the Model Y. I actually rarely step on it, but I love knowing that it’s got the extra acceleration.

Yeah I really am torn. The price difference between the two is not that much after I spec out the MYLR with 20” wheels and add in the acceleration boost. I think I’m still going with the MYP. I am curious about how stiff the suspension is on the MYP though. Also, what tires it comes with and what the tread wear rating is.

C’mon, there’s no such thing as too much speed! 😄

Ok, so I’m just kidding. If MYLR-AB is fast enough for you then that’s great. I went for the MYP mostly because I just liked the idea of having the fastest version of the Model Y. I actually rarely step on it, but I love knowing that it’s got the extra acceleration.

^^ this ^^
Raced a Corvette last night,
Had to lift because he didn't realize the Tesla potential I suppose, and changed into my lane not realizing I was already there :D

Reactions: TesraY
Yeah I really am torn. The price difference between the two is not that much after I spec out the MYLR with 20” wheels and add in the acceleration boost. I think I’m still going with the MYP. I am curious about how stiff the suspension is on the MYP though. Also, what tires it comes with and what the tread wear rating is.
if you want the 20” Induction wheels then I’d say MYP is the way to go given the small price delta. I haven’t driven a 23 MYP, but reading about it on these forums it seems like it’s a clear improvement in comfort compared to previous revisions. But you really should test drive to see for yourself. Plenty of people think the pre-comfort suspension setup is too harsh and hate it, but I’ve driven my 21 MYP for almost 2 years and it haven’t bothered me, so I think it’s an individual thing best resolved through a good test drive.

As for tires, I think they all come with Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 now. I don’t know the tread wear rating, but it should be easy enough to find online.

Reactions: CuriousWren