Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally!! Eibach has a SR+ lowering spring.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 50 I've decided I'm too old to be doing this stuff anymore. Without a lift it is just hard on the body working on the garage floor. Technically this isn't a tough install. My problem was the first side I started on I used my impact gun to remove the sway bar end link nut. It spun it off so fast the nut came off the end of the gun and shot up into the under frunk area somewhere. May have spit out, not sure but after over an hour of looking I couldn't find it. Had to ride my bike up to the hardware store where they didn't have an exact match (nylock flange nut) so used a regular flange nut with a lock washer.

My two biggest suggestions. Remove the TORX pinch nut from the upper control arm last, after you've undone everything else. Also one install video I watched said this was a T50 TORX. My T50 was too big and my T45 was too small.

Second must do. Mark the orientation of the top hat in relation to the lower strut legs so you can get it clocked as accurately as possible. My first side wasn't exact and it was a bitch to get the bolt into the lower control arm. In hindsight I probably should've removed it, recompressed the spring and adjusted it.

The rears are simple. Literally took 20 minutes per side. Since I don't have a drive on lift, I compressed each corner with the floor jack to just where it was about to lift the car off the jack stand then tightened the lower bolts.

Overall I'm not super impressed. The car looks nice and I wanted a "mild" drop but it is almost hard to tell if the car was even lowered. I may buy the updated springs from Eibach but the thought of tearing the front end all apart again isn't too exciting and also think another inch lower in the front may be too much.

Other note. The small plastic fender clips that the frunk snaps into when you put it all back together are crazy weak. Pretty sure I snapped 3 of them on the driver's side.

I will say the car drives great. Quite a bit firmer with a solid planted feel. FWIW, I did trim the bump stop on the front as per the directions.

Thanks for the details...
So if your T50 was too big and your T45 was too small, what did you use?

Looking through this video I don't see him reference a T45 T47 or T50. He does use a T40 at 4:43.
It didn't seem like he loosened the upper control arm pinch nut.

disregard the sandals while working on the car and they way he shaves down the 13mm socket ... definitely not using common sense / working safely. But the video is pretty short, he lists all the tools, and doesn't talk much.

Did you find a 13mm socket that fit?
I saw other videos talk about shaving down a socket as well.

Here are pics of my SR+ on Eibachs...First pic is the before and after, last pic was right after they were installed...Ride quality feels like stock to me, had them on the car for 6 months, 8k miles. Only complaint I had is the slight reverse rake but not a big deal to me anymore...
Which model springs are these? The original LR/SR ones or the new updated "04" part number ones?

Looking through this video I don't see him reference a T45 T47 or T50. He does use a T40 at 4:43.
It didn't seem like he loosened the upper control arm pinch nut.

disregard the sandals while working on the car and they way he shaves down the 13mm socket ... definitely not using common sense / working safely. But the video is pretty short, he lists all the tools, and doesn't talk much.

Did you find a 13mm socket that fit?
I saw other videos talk about shaving down a socket as well.
Don't waste your time trying to shave a 13mm socket. Remove the entire assembly. It isn't any harder but will require removing the pinch bolt on the upper control arm. I have a thin wall 13mm and it would have fit on one side, but not the other as it was not quite centered. He uses the T40 for the sway bar end link nut.

This guy's install is pretty much what I did.

Reactions: fritzner
Thanks @Teedub21

I went through my toolbox and have just about everything ... now I just need to find some time. I'm in the middle of a bunch of home projects while still working from home (thankfully).

While I was in the garage, I measured from the floor to the top/center of the fender openings and I got ~28.5" - 28.75"!!!... Damn these cars sit high! Is that what others with SRs are getting?

Thanks @Teedub21

I went through my toolbox and have just about everything ... now I just need to find some time. I'm in the middle of a bunch of home projects while still working from home (thankfully).

While I was in the garage, I measured from the floor to the top/center of the fender openings and I got ~28.5" - 28.75"!!!... Damn these cars sit high! Is that what others with SRs are getting?
Those were my exact measurements. Apparently earlier cars sat a bit higher. That is likely why some of us aren’t getting the advertised drop if they were tested on earlier cars. I got about 1” drop on the rear and less than 1/2” up front. I’ll probably buy the updated front springs to get a little more drop.

Those were my exact measurements. Apparently earlier cars sat a bit higher. That is likely why some of us aren’t getting the advertised drop if they were tested on earlier cars. I got about 1” drop on the rear and less than 1/2” up front. I’ll probably buy the updated front springs to get a little more drop.

Mine is actually a 12/19 build = 2020 model year. I took delivery on 12/30/19.

The "01" springs are for the LR RWD and will definitely sit higher.

I have the "04" springs which are for the SR RWD. Anxious to get them on!
Tanner at Eibach said, "Yea definitely plan on 1.3 front 1.2 rear on the Standard Range."
So we'll see.

Glad I didn't go with UP Milds which are only supposed be 0.7" drop.

Reactions: SDM44

Tanner at Eibach said, "Yea definitely plan on 1.3 front 1.2 rear on the Standard Range."
So we'll see.
Looking forward to see the results. Please be sure to take some before & after pictures (after driving around afterwards to settle the springs) so we can see the fender gap difference in the front & rear.

I've considered the 0.7" drop, but now I'm thinking of getting the Eibach springs for a 1.3/1.2 drop, as that will probably be better when I run on 20" performance wheels for my 2020 SR+.

So we'll see.

Glad I didn't go with UP Milds which are only supposed be 0.7" drop.
I can tell you there isn’t that much difference from the LR rear drive to the SR+. Less than 300lbs between the two cars. Tanner told me they’d “figured some stuff out” since the original springs and the new ones will give the desired drop. My car is a late 2019 as well and I barely got 1” drop on the rear so doubt the replacement front coils will give 1.3”. I still think these estimates are for first gen suspension. I’ll probably end up ordering the “04” part number front springs and swap them out.

Am anxious to find out how much yours drops. Make sure to take before and after measurements. I just did ground up on mine. Stock 19” tires.

Tire Rack currently has the Eibach SR+ lowering springs (E10-87-001-04-22) on sale right now for $291 + free shipping. After sales tax it was $319 shipped.

Better than the regular $324 price, which comes out to around $355 after taxes before any shipping fees.

Their website says I should receive it by 4/21, but I'm in no hurry these days. Now to start looking for places around the LA area who can install them at a decent price.

Tire-Rack-Eibach.jpg

Reactions: Lagv1983
Tire Rack currently has the Eibach SR+ lowering springs (E10-87-001-04-22) on sale right now for $291 + free shipping. After sales tax it was $319 shipped.

Better than the regular $324 price, which comes out to around $355 after taxes before any shipping fees.

Their website says I should receive it by 4/21, but I'm in no hurry these days. Now to start looking for places around the LA area who can install them at a decent price.

Modbargains is like $280 labor to install lowering springs on a model 3, but I don't know how that changes if you don't buy the parts from them. FYI, I believe they are charging like $310+shipping for Telsa model 3 Eibach springs these days. Maybe check them out. Alignment is another $140.

I got mine for $291 straight from Eibach ... but they are not listed on their website, so you have to talk to them directly and they are working with a skeleton crew ... so probably best to get from Tirerack since they are the same price.

Killing me that they arrived on Monday and I don't think I'll have time to install them until next Friday! I'm not driving anywhere anyway, but I hate seeing that wheel gap when I walk past it in the garage ... haha

I got mine for $291 straight from Eibach ... but they are not listed on their website, so you have to talk to them directly and they are working with a skeleton crew ... so probably best to get from Tirerack since they are the same price.

Killing me that they arrived on Monday and I don't think I'll have time to install them until next Friday! I'm not driving anywhere anyway, but I hate seeing that wheel gap when I walk past it in the garage ... haha

I've had mine for 3 weeks and haven't installed! Make sure you shave the bump stops accordingly.

Tire-Rack-Eibach.jpg
thanks for the share, I just ordered a set, myself.

Just installed my set this past weekend, so far so good:

Couple notes,
  • Good to have two jacks, or a bottle jack handy
  • You need a larger Tork Set
  • I removed the whole assembly, much easier than I thought
  • The strut nut was a pain - I had to hold a socket with vise grips and run an allen wrench through the top of the socket
    • One strut cam off with the impact
  • A long pry bar is handy to adjust the sway bar vs wrestling with it.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can recall at this time.

Just installed my set this past weekend, so far so good:

Couple notes,
  • Good to have two jacks, or a bottle jack handy
  • You need a larger Tork Set
  • I removed the whole assembly, much easier than I thought
  • The strut nut was a pain - I had to hold a socket with vise grips and run an allen wrench through the top of the socket
    • One strut cam off with the impact
  • A long pry bar is handy to adjust the sway bar vs wrestling with it.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can recall at this time.

Did you post pics? I didn't see any.

I'm planning to install mine this week!