Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 12500 service performed Nov 3 2016; actual miles were 13068. cost was $500. The Invoice says they did Four Wheel Alignment.check (not sure what that means).
says they did:
- pulled log and check for faults
- checked firmware version
- performed function check of closures.
- torqued suspension bolts
- tested charge cable
- replaced key fob battery
- performed inspection of powertrain and chassis
- checked fluid levels
- measured tire tread depth
- performed 4 wheel alignment check
- replaced wiper blade

I do not have option to purchase prepaid maintenance of my tesla account; I do have option to purchase ESA.

I talked to the Denver Service Center. They said since I have more than a certain number of miles (I have 15600 miles) that I cannot purchase prepaid maintenance online; I have to go to the Service Center to purchase.

So after being told several times over the years annual maintenance is NOT required the ESA I purchase +3 years ago is now void? I was at my SC 2 days ago & I specifically asked again.

You should review the contract in your Extended Service Agreement. The current contract says annual maintenance is required. If your contract purchased 3 years ago says something different then you have an argument. Anything anyone told you verbally is meaningless.

Reactions: bhzmark
Significant changes have been made since purchasing my ESA & Elon's blog post touting annual service isn't required to maintain warranty left many of us confident ESA wouldn't be voided.

My car has been to the SC countless times its not like they haven't seen it in 4 years.

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

Annual Service Contract

Unlike gasoline cars, an electric car doesn’t need oil changes, fuel filters, spark plugs, smog checks, etc., which are only needed if the mode of locomotion involves burning oil derived products. For an electric car, you don’t even need to replace the brake pads, because most of the braking energy is regeneratively captured by the motor and returned to the battery.

As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.

Reactions: McManX
The one year service looks pretty basic... is it really worth $650 for wipers, an air filter and a tire rotation? I don't see the drive unit fluid change on the list.... when does that happen?

It's listed on the 12,500 service chart : Maintenance Plans

IMG_0324.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Wow ... what a difference in Tesla service just since 2013 :cool:

upload_2017-2-12_23-22-48.png

Significant changes have been made since purchasing my ESA & Elon's blog post touting annual service isn't required to maintain warranty left many of us confident ESA wouldn't be voided. My car has been to the SC countless times its not like they haven't seen it in 4 years. Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program
Annual Service Contract
As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.

The way I am looking at this is the same way I look at most insurance. You can choose not to buy and save money and feel better during the day. Or you can buy it and spend the money and sleep better at night. I am buying both (especially since we got ours with unlimited supercharging) and plan to keep this car for 8 years if not longer. Fwiw, my tax rate is 8.75% and I got charged 'only' 1% sales ax. Win!

Last edited:
I have a MX 100D on order and I am looking at the maintenance plans. When I do the calculation on the savings associated with advance payment, it does seem like to me it makes sense to do the advance purchase.

My assumption is based upon the displayed costs per each yearly service - is the cost for year one service displayed the website in line with what everyone is experiencing or is it higher/lower. I realize that for the Model X we are on,ynone year in for some people.

hi guys: going to be picking up my MX 100D next week and wanted some advice on getting the maintenance plan/ESA. What plan would everyone recommend? I am going to be buying the car with a loan for 5 years and hoping to have this car for a long time. Thanks!

hi guys: going to be picking up my MX 100D next week and wanted some advice on getting the maintenance plan/ESA. What plan would everyone recommend? I am going to be buying the car with a loan for 5 years and hoping to have this car for a long time. Thanks!

I passed the maintenance plan as I don't think it's needed to have an electric car serviced every year. I did get the ESA for extra 2 years because I normally keep a car 4 to 6 years and I was told it MAY not be refunded if I decide to cancel it...

I am debating purchasing both maintenance and ESA.

Any thoughts on the value of pre-paying maintenance vs. paying year by year?

How about purchasing ESA now vs. waiting for mile 49,999 (I know you save at least $500 but that's a low ROI)?

Any sense of how prices have changed over time for these?