Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY: Midnight silver MX with full Xpel Stealth Wrap!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you very much for the baseline. Re the quote above, I am paying 3500 to essentially change the way my car looks. It is effectively a paint job in my opinion. I don't want rocks kicking up or anything else damaging the how I am choosing the car to look. Its annoying to see sections of you car lose paint. It will be equally annoying to me if i see the underlying white paint in areas where the wrap get picked off. For an additional $400 bucks, I'll protect the 3500 investment.

It's your prerogative and your money, but Xpel does not confirm that any coating placed one the Wrap add any extra protection, but obviously recommend their sealant every two years.

If I had any confirmation that a ceramic coating offers a significant improved benefit, I'd go for it myself.

What bonds to a clear coat finish may wash of from a PPF .

Would love to know how it works out, especially after 6 months or a year

Reactions: rjdoc74
Thank you very much for the baseline. Re the quote above, I am paying 3500 to essentially change the way my car looks. It is effectively a paint job in my opinion. I don't want rocks kicking up or anything else damaging the how I am choosing the car to look. Its annoying to see sections of you car lose paint. It will be equally annoying to me if i see the underlying white paint in areas where the wrap get picked off. For an additional $400 bucks, I'll protect the 3500 investment.

Please keep in mind that Ceramic pro offers very little protection from actual damage (rocks, etc.) and it has to be reapplied every few years.
It's your prerogative and your money, but Xpel does not confirm that any coating placed one the Wrap add any extra protection, but obviously recommend their sealant every two years.

If I had any confirmation that a ceramic coating offers a significant improved benefit, I'd go for it myself.

I had Cearmic Pro applied to my Audi after Xpel ultimate installation. Complete waste of money. Maybe made car washes a little easier for a few months.

• Informative
Reactions: Kacey Green
I just read that some coatings on Xpel Stealth altered it's appearance, some made it "shiny". Not sure exactly what that means, could enhance the look.

Not sure how it would "protect" the PPF, maybe from staining" but could definitely make washing easier, such as less need to hand dry after a car wash that just has a blower.

So far no positive comments about adding to a matte finish PPF... anybody?

My S looks really great one year after installing Opticoat. Yup. Installer noted there is coating for wraps.
This 3M rep identifies Sun and polluting elements as having the most negative impact on Wraps. Coating seems like a no brainer, especially for color wraps.

And it looks impressive btw- i have seen the pictures.
That is what i should do - (Xpel) - offers protection and is unique, but we decided to splurge a bit and go with a color that is not offered and reminds us of a 6-Series that we saw in Berlin 5 years ago. Vehicle is in transit, so I'll try to figure out how to post pictures once I get it back from the installer.

The only disadvantage to the stealth wrap (that I can think of) is that you can't really buff out scratches in the product. You have to rely on the self-healing aspects and hope that it comes out on it's own.

If you try to buff it out, you'll also buff out the matte finish.

Where the heck did "buff out the matte finish" come from? That is not possible, as the 3mm PPFis the same matte material all the way through. If you get a non-healing damage on the PPF, it would have certainly destroyed the paint finish, and again it's cheaper to replace a PPF panel than to repaint a panel. The only difference is a paint repair may be covered by your insurance, while a PPF replacement will not be. So it depends upon your deductible which will cost you more.

Very helpful. I'll be going in this direction when my vehicle arrives later this month. I have lined up installer and just need to understand how much the chrome wrap will add to price before making a call on that. I am also going to get the Ceramic Pro for Matte Vinyl Finish to protect the wrap - so I am excited... only 3 weeks away....

If I understand your statement correctly , you may be confusing PPF (Xpel) with a thinner colored Vinyl Wrap...very different substances, and Ceramic Pro for Matte Vinyl Finishes may not adhere to a matte PPF, no matter what the installer claims. It certainly offers no protection to the PPF, and if it adheres may only make washing the film easier, which is already easy to do.

Also, as much as I would like to wrap all of my side chrome with matte PPF like my door handle to get that muted chrome look that eliminates fingerprints, it is almost impossible to do so when the contours are curvy, like by the rear-view mirror. In these locations, a thinner vinyl film is possible, but not a quality PPF.

And it looks impressive btw- i have seen the pictures.
That is what i should do - (Xpel) - offers protection and is unique, but we decided to splurge a bit and go with a color that is not offered and reminds us of a 6-Series that we saw in Berlin 5 years ago. Vehicle is in transit, so I'll try to figure out how to post pictures once I get it back from the installer.

Choosing to change your car color is very cool, and the thinner vinyl wrap will offer some degree of paint protection, but nothing like the PPF. My Fav vehicle color for years was a dark burgundy, so Sig Red was my top choice. But since not an option, I went with 2nd fav Midnight Silver, and once I added Xpel Stealth, that immediately surpassed my affection for Sig Red. IMO, Mid Silver is the best available Tesla color to be matte finished, but I did see a blue that looked cool too.

It is fun to have people oogle over my car's appearance, sometimes more than the Model X itself.

What color have you decided to go with?

i think i was referring to the Matte finish hiding the dirt well. I have bumpers covered on current Model S..

I am keeping the color close to my chest (Smile).. and will do a reveal with Photos in about two weeks.... Can't wait!
I would have kept white if there was Brown interior... I like that combo. If i was going with the stock colors, the Multi-Coat red, with white or tan interior and Grey Rims.... sick.

i think i was referring to the Matte finish hiding the dirt well. I have bumpers covered on current Model S..

I am keeping the color close to my chest (Smile).. and will do a reveal with Photos in about two weeks.... Can't wait!
I would have kept white if there was Brown interior... I like that combo. If i was going with the stock colors, the Multi-Coat red, with white or tan interior and Grey Rims.... sick.

Yes, with the Midnight Silver, the matter really hides the dust, unlike black.

I think it's reasonable that all PPF distributors/manufacturers do not recommend any specific coating as this would be very divisive for their installers. They literally have nothing to gain by standing behind one product in a public way. All it would do is cost them installers.

With that said, it's good you are skeptical. There is a ton of information floating around that is hard to quantify and the sources can be questionable. Maybe these videos will assist you with the information you are seeking?

Both cars received full body paint protection film wraps and then were coated with a Modesta body coating(1 BC-04 and 1 BC-05). They are both daily driven. The 911 Turbo S video was shot after we washed and decontaminated the body(20 months of use) and the Model S was shot as the car was delivered before washing the body or treating it with anything(24'ish months of use).

Please excuse the poor video quality. I shot them with my mobile phone and only uploaded them for this thread.

Satisfaction in having a coating is based upon 3 factors. I created an article that discusses those in detail, here:
The Paint Coating Triangle: A Necessity for Owner Satisfaction

Both cars received full body paint protection film wraps and then were coated with a Modesta body coating(1 BC-04 and 1 BC-05).

The 911 Turbo S video was shot after we washed and decontaminated the body(20 months of use) and the Model S was shot as the car was delivered before washing the body or treating it with anything(24'ish months of use).
This post was confusing to me. What point were you conveying? Thanks

I think he is saying he recommends coating on top of the wrap. That said, I've never seen/heard an installer who doesn't recommend more/additional treatments (no offense). It's like when you are a surgeon, it's almost always a good idea to have surgery :).

Good luck with your decision.

I think he is saying he recommends coating on top of the wrap. That said, I've never seen/heard an installer who doesn't recommend more/additional treatments (no offense). It's like when you are a surgeon, it's almost always a good idea to have surgery :).

Good luck with your decision.

I think it's about creating a solution that is founded on an owner's wants and their budget. More is not always better. But the videos were posted as a response to an inquiry as to how it would respond after 6 months or a year. Modesta absolutely responds very well for years after application over a PPF as the videos show. Of course, proper care is necessary to get the most out of it.

I think it's about creating a solution that is founded on an owner's wants and their budget. More is not always better. But the videos were posted as a response to an inquiry as to how it would respond after 6 months or a year. Modesta absolutely responds very well for years after application over a PPF as the videos show. Of course, proper care is necessary to get the most out of it.

Yeah, you can take this "paint protection thing" as expensive as you want to. For most people without raging OCD, Xpel alone is MORE than enough.

Yeah, you can take this "paint protection thing" as expensive as you want to. For most people without raging OCD, Xpel alone is MORE than enough.

It may not be fair to group anyone that feels differently than you as raging OCD. There are a lot of people who do a lot of things their own way and for their own reasons. In my experience, people go with what they see value in and feel comfortable with spending on said value.

Some of my clients will only put film on a bumper. Does this mean they are careless or cheap? Not necessarily. They may personally only see value in protecting the bumper or maybe they only have the budget set aside for that? At any rate, it matters not how much or little someone gets to anyone but that person and respect for their decision is common place for me.

It may not be fair to group anyone that feels differently than you as raging OCD. There are a lot of people who do a lot of things their own way and for their own reasons. In my experience, people go with what they see value in and feel comfortable with spending on said value.

Some of my clients will only put film on a bumper. Does this mean they are careless or cheap? Not necessarily. They may personally only see value in protecting the bumper or maybe they only have the budget set aside for that? At any rate, it matters not how much or little someone gets to anyone but that person and respect for their decision is common place for me.

I am not sure you understood my post. My point was VENDORS LIKE YOURSELF always recommend more because it translates into more $$$ for you. I am urging people to think about what they need, do research and above all get multiple quotes from different vendors to prevent from being overcharged.

"Careless.. Cheap... anyone different from you is raging OCD". Please don't put words in my mouth. For a vendor soliciting for business you are very aggressive with your posts.

I am not sure you understood my post. My point was VENDORS LIKE YOURSELF always recommend more because it translates into more $$$ for you. I am urging people to think about what they need, do research and above all get multiple quotes from different vendors to prevent from being overcharged.

"Careless.. Cheap... anyone different from you is raging OCD". Please don't put words in my mouth. For a vendor soliciting for business you are very aggressive with your posts.

I completely understand what you are saying, and with all due respect, you are wrong. Specifically, to the point that vendors like myself always recommending more because it translates to more money for me/us. Sir, you do not know me and to my knowledge we've never spoken before. Beyond my lack of desire to fleece my clients or anyone, I have made myself available to help people all over NA as well as people internationally with the knowledge that I would never gain a single dollar. I have literally spent countless hours over many phone calls and emails with my only intent to be to help someone(both professionals and private owners). I have comped services to clients and others that found themselves in an unfortunate circumstance and I have suggested private owners seek out other facilities who may be better suited to care for them. Even here, for the last few years I have assisted people I do not know, that are no where close to me and in ways that bring no monetary gain to me. Time consuming articles have been created to help people care for their cars properly as well.

You strongly infer that "all vendors" "always" recommend more with no regard for ethics for the sake of acquiring more revenue. To the point, I am a human and I have never lied to a client and I do not ever turn a screw on them(so to speak). My being a vendor does not give you a license to be hateful and tell readers that I, nor vendors "like me" are dishonest or unethical in how we care for people.

I, and those like me, are no different than anyone potentially reading this. I work very hard at my craft to give my best, attempt to educate my clients and bring real value to them, stand behind my work and I take pride in acting as each client's fiduciary when it comes to my services as well as services that I gain nothing from but can help with. At the same time, I happen to require money to keep my doors open and keep food in my wife and children's mouths. But, just like anyone else reading this, it is possible for me to honestly earn my pay.

It was literally said that, "For most people without raging OCD, Xpel alone is MORE than enough." To me, that comes across as a thinly veiled way to suggest only the raging OCD would do anything but what you are suggesting and quite frankly, that is insulting to some of my clients and other people I know who are not raging-anything. It is not a fair representation of those who want more and find value in more than you do. As I stated, everyone has their own wishes, some for less and some for more. Neither, are the ones who choose lesser careless nor cheap and the ones who choose more are not raging OCD. No words were placed in your mouth sir. I was drawing a contrast. There was a point made that "to each their own" and that I respect those who choose lesser as I do for those who choose more. -I will leave my words/posts unedited as a reference.

I also encourage everyone to shop around. That is good advice. I encourage private owners to locate and use the most qualified professional that will also provide outstanding ongoing service and that will serve as an ongoing resource. That is not typically done by calling one facility.

I stand behind everything I have posted to this point. I say all these things as respectfully as I can and regret that copy can not convey feeling. But my being a vendor and disagreeing does not mean I am aggressive.

Questions/concerns were posed and I answered with videos and real world experiences that directly addressed it. It appears like it's becoming hostile here and I have nothing more to say on the matter so I am checking out from this thread. To anyone insulted, that is not my intent but to be called out and not respond equates to tacitly agreeing and that I do not.

Best regards and good day,

I think we could move more in the direction of the following:

One can take it is far as one wants with about any product or device. I could envision a bubble Tesla going down the road with multiple layers of protection. At what cost? Yes some might want super protection and be able to electrostatically repel boulders headed our way on the road. Majority want an easy maintain care for years and to be saved from those just ripping your hair out moments if possible.

Sticking with just an XPEL full body at this time.

Love the matte. Taking delivery next week of my MS 100D. Midnight Silver. Matte is super tempting now.

Keep Calm all.

I think we could move more in the direction of the following:

One can take it is far as one wants with about any product or device. I could envision a bubble Tesla going down the road with multiple layers of protection. At what cost? Yes some might want super protection and be able to electrostatically repel boulders headed our way on the road. Majority want an easy maintain care for years and to be saved from those just ripping your hair out moments if possible.

Sticking with just an XPEL full body at this time.

Love the matte. Taking delivery next week of my MS 100D. Midnight Silver. Matte is super tempting now.

Keep Calm all.

All I can say is you will just love the matte finish on the Midnight Silver. When I received my new Midnight Silver MX last month, it was just so unsightly until I got it wrapped in Xpel Stealth like my prior one.

As far as extra coatings, there is not evidence it does anything obvious other than perhaps make the water shed faster, for how long I am not sure.

After a year in the Texas summer/winter, it looked just like when it was new.

Consider having your installer wrap edges where possible. If they custom cut the patterns, it just requires and a little extra material to be used, it's harder to apply, but helps to protect the edges.

• Informative
The process of applying XPEL Stealth began today and here's a few photos for those who are interested...chrome will be foiled black after the PPF is applied. The work is being done by NVN Motorworks in dubai.

IMG_5020.JPG
IMG_5022.JPG
IMG_5025.JPG