Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY: Midnight silver MX with full Xpel Stealth Wrap!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think your car looks great. It would look even better with black wheels ;).

I chose to completely de-badge mine as you can see. Stealth mode.

I like black plates, but decided to stick with regular ones. As a fellow Californian, you may want to know that your registration will be $750+ for this car (confirmed by an early adapter who just had to re-register). Plus Mr. Brown wants another $100/year for driving an EV starting in 2020. Another $50/year seemed like an extra kick in the teeth.

I got a few red stickers from RPM Tesla for front/back T and wheels. Looks like a nice touch. I decided not to do a carbon fiber sticker for the one rear chrome piece. RPM Tesla advertises $350 for full chrome delete, so I may do that at some point.

Welcome to the "Midnight Silver Stealth Club", now there are 2 of us as far as I know.

I Stealth wrapped my Midnight Silver MX last August, having never seen another dark gray anything in matte before... I just blew me away...since then people seem to want to talk about the look of the car more than the car itself. Even the Tesla Gallery and Service staff all know mine, as they take pictures and "oogle" over it. Apparently not another one like in the Dallas area.
20160817_193852.jpg

I never added any sealant or coating to it, and autowashed it monthly or as needed, but the truth is it really hides the dust and dirt, so very forgiving.

I also had the door handles covered to eliminate the shine and fingerprints which I love, I want to apply to all the side chrome, but the contours around the mirrors made my installer squeamish. I thought of applying a matte silver vinyl, but not as good looking, so I tested Plasti-Dip matte clear on a piece of chrome, and it looks identical. I just don't know how well it will holdup to being touched, certainly not as good as the Xpel.
20160817_193718.jpg

I also had the seat backs done in stealth, IMO so much nicer than gloss.
front.jpg

I just replaced my X with another 5-seater, and it looks so weird being shiny and reflective, getting same Xpel installed on Monday.

Picked her up today. I can not believe how much better the car looks. Turnaround time was 3 days. I was grinning ear to ear the whole way back from the shop. I can not recommend enough TRANSHINE DETAILING in Whittier. Bill and Jesus were AMAZING: so accommodating and patient. Best customer service I've had from anyone in a long time. Full wrap runs from 5K to 6K depending on what extras you get. Here are the contact details: [email protected] or call (562) 693-5619 They are located at 15130 E. Whittier Boulevard, Whittier, CA 90603

Sorry for low quality images, TMC has crazy picture size restrictions.

Did your installer wrap the edges around the body panels where possible, or are they accessible to the outside? Mine is on the outside, but for the 2nd time I may ask to have the wrap "wrapped".

I know this looks better and may protect it more, but i wonder about how reliable it is given a small amount of contact after a corner.

Wait, let me get this straight- you spent north of $5k to wrap the car and now replaced it less than a year later? Why on God's green earth you replaced it? Was it a lemon?

Welcome to the "Midnight Silver Stealth Club", now there are 2 of us as far as I know.

I Stealth wrapped my Midnight Silver MX last August, having never seen another dark gray anything in matte before... I just blew me away...since then people seem to want to talk about the look of the car more than the car itself. Even the Tesla Gallery and Service staff all know mine, as they take pictures and "oogle" over it. Apparently not another one like in the Dallas area.
View attachment 230658

I never added any sealant or coating to it, and autowashed it monthly or as needed, but the truth is it really hides the dust and dirt, so very forgiving.

I also had the door handles covered to eliminate the shine and fingerprints which I love, I want to apply to all the side chrome, but the contours around the mirrors made my installer squeamish. I thought of applying a matte silver vinyl, but not as good looking, so I tested Plasti-Dip matte clear on a piece of chrome, and it looks identical. I just don't know how well it will holdup to being touched, certainly not as good as the Xpel.
View attachment 230657

I also had the seat backs done in stealth, IMO so much nicer than gloss.
View attachment 230656

I just replaced my X with another 5-seater, and it looks so weird being shiny and reflective, getting same Xpel installed on Monday.

My car is 98% wrapped. All door edges are wrapped. I don't really care about anything else.

Did your installer wrap the edges around the body panels where possible, or are they accessible to the outside? Mine is on the outside, but for the 2nd time I may ask to have the wrap "wrapped".

I know this looks better and may protect it more, but i wonder about how reliable it is given a small amount of contact after a corner.

Let's just say Tesla provided the level of owner support that was expected.
I had a choice, and for multiple reasons in the end we were all in agreement.

I was able to benefit by getting into a 5-seater which serves my needs much greater plus the HW2 upgrade.
My only concern is the transition from AP1 to AP2, which is very frustrating at this point.

Hmm, door edges only.. that for sure is a good idea. I would not expect him to wrap around anything that requires panels to be removed, so I think he will be good with that. I suspect he has to have the ability to cut custom panels, or perhaps just heat and stretch enough to make it around an edge.

My initial cost was much less than yours I suspect, even with 100% coverage (top and side panels) plus all seatbacks, head and tail lights... I suppose one of the benefits of avoiding an overpriced automotive shop and not living in L.A.

My installer is AutoDesigns in Ft. Worth, listed on the Xpel website, and does a great job...was less expensive than if I ordered the precut pieces and installed them myself.

So it was some sort of a lemon. Thanks for detailed explanation.

Yes, we do pay more for living in la la land. But there is a reason that millions of people want to live here :).

Cheers!

Let's just say Tesla provided the level of owner support that was expected.
I had a choice, and for multiple reasons in the end we were all in agreement.

I was able to benefit by getting into a 5-seater which serves my needs much greater plus the HW2 upgrade.
My only concern is the transition from AP1 to AP2, which is very frustrating at this point.

Hmm, door edges only.. that for sure is a good idea. I would not expect him to wrap around anything that requires panels to be removed, so I think he will be good with that. I suspect he has to have the ability to cut custom panels, or perhaps just heat and stretch enough to make it around an edge.

My initial cost was much less than yours I suspect, even with 100% coverage (top and side panels) plus all seatbacks, head and tail lights... I suppose one of the benefits of avoiding an overpriced automotive shop and not living in L.A.

My installer is AutoDesigns in Ft. Worth, listed on the Xpel website, and does a great job...was less expensive than if I ordered the precut pieces and installed them myself.

To each his own... but there is almost nothing that would inspire me, or way more millions of people, to live there... or even California, which I could not get out of fast enough after 5 years there, especially if in healthcare...

To each his own... but there is almost nothing that would inspire me, or way more millions of people, to live there... or even California, which I could not get out of fast enough after 5 years there, especially if in healthcare...

To each his own indeed. For me, 2 hour lay over in San Antonio airport was enough to know its not for me :)

C'mon, you are way more intelligent to base a place to live just on the airport.... like LAX is such a dream???

But if so, spending a few hours in DFW Terminal D, and you may want to consider relocating to the DFW area, not to mention the lack of state income tax, for which in California hardly goes towards those supporting the taxpayers that live there (except for keeping the parks and coastline beautiful).

For 5 years in Fresno, admittedly the armpit of Ca, I worked 10% harder each year while earning 10% less every year... so Texas seemed to be, and definitely has been, a much greener pasture...not to mention better cost of living, better schools, less traffic, etc.

But I do miss the 3-4 hour drive to some of the most beautiful places in the country... Monterrey, the Bay Area, Tahoe...now it's just a 3 hour flight... not bad when living 12 minutes from DFW airport.

Back to topic, for the last 4 days I have been disgusted whenever I look at my new MX, it's so shiny and glossy... YUK.

Back to the wrap shop tomorrow, to make it is awesome as yours, and mine was. I will ask about wrapping around all the edges possible, plus try to convince him to try to cover the side chrome, since I love the complete lack of fingerprints on my door handles and the muting of the shiny chrome.

Next the tint, then powder coating the wheels.

Reactions: Cowby
C'mon, you are way more intelligent to base a place to live just on the airport.... like LAX is such a dream???

But if so, spending a few hours in DFW Terminal D, and you may want to consider relocating to the DFW area, not to mention the lack of state income tax, for which in California hardly goes towards those supporting the taxpayers that live there (except for keeping the parks and coastline beautiful).

For 5 years in Fresno, admittedly the armpit of Ca, I worked 10% harder each year while earning 10% less every year... so Texas seemed to be, and definitely has been, a much greener pasture...not to mention better cost of living, better schools, less traffic, etc.

But I do miss the 3-4 hour drive to some of the most beautiful places in the country... Monterrey, the Bay Area, Tahoe...now it's just a 3 hour flight... not bad when living 12 minutes from DFW airport.

Back to topic, for the last 4 days I have been disgusted whenever I look at my new MX, it's so shiny and glossy... YUK.

Back to the wrap shop tomorrow, to make it is awesome as yours, and mine was. I will ask about wrapping around all the edges possible, plus try to convince him to try to cover the side chrome, since I love the complete lack of fingerprints on my door handles and the muting of the shiny chrome.

Next the tint, then powder coating the wheels.

Yeah, I am way more intelligent. It's not the airport. It's the humidity and few other societal factors, which let's say I'd rather not discuss on this forum (suffice it to say you don't have enough synagogues down there).

Taxes, traffic and worse healthcare environment suck, but we are 2 surgeon family. We do ok. Plus real estate appreciates much faster :). Life's too short to compromise on where your kids grow up.

In terms of your new car- how about waiting a little to make sure its not another lemon? I waited a few months before wrapping mine. I don't see a downside if you drive carefully.

It only took one drive to know the issue was not present... but who knows what other issues my be hiding.
Hopefully after making another 40K more Model Xs, they have all the kinks finally worked out...
But the frustration of going from AP1 to AP2 ... Oy Vey...is really tough to accept, cause I adored AP1, and used it as much as possible.

Xpel wraps are suppose to be self healing, so there is definitely some protection against rock chips. I've read that some people had thier cars side swiped and there was virtually no damage to the paint once Xpel was removed (read one story like this on Tesla Facebook page last night). Maintenance is much easier than paint. This weekend I ran the car through $7 car wash and it looked awesome right after. Xpel Stealth feels like the car is covered in plastic to touch.

The only disadvantage to the stealth wrap (that I can think of) is that you can't really buff out scratches in the product. You have to rely on the self-healing aspects and hope that it comes out on it's own.

If you try to buff it out, you'll also buff out the matte finish.

The only disadvantage to the stealth wrap (that I can think of) is that you can't really buff out scratches in the product. You have to rely on the self-healing aspects and hope that it comes out on it's own.

If you try to buff it out, you'll also buff out the matte finish.

I have an Audi Q5 wrapped in Xpel Ultimate and MX in Stealth. Completely different texture feel to them. Stealth feels thicker and more difficult to damage. I have never had to buff out anything on the Audi, but does not seem like a good idea on any Xpel material.

Very helpful. I'll be going in this direction when my vehicle arrives later this month. I have lined up installer and just need to understand how much the chrome wrap will add to price before making a call on that. I am also going to get the Ceramic Pro for Matte Vinyl Finish to protect the wrap - so I am excited... only 3 weeks away....

Very helpful. I'll be going in this direction when my vehicle arrives later this month. I have lined up installer and just need to understand how much the chrome wrap will add to price before making a call on that. I am also going to get the Ceramic Pro for Matte Vinyl Finish to protect the wrap - so I am excited... only 3 weeks away....

Per RPM Tesla, full chrome delete is ~$350 if you are in LA area. You can go through them or use this price as negotiating tactic.

IMHO, Ceramic pro and similar things are a waste of money. I did this on my Q5 after I wrapped it and MAYBE it helped with less frequent car washes. MAYBE. On the other hand you add wrap to protect the paint, Ceramic pro to protect the wrap, so what's protecting Ceramic Pro??? Gotta protect that too lol.

Holy shipballs, the matte wrap looks amazing. Great job.

Is it a pain to maintain or actually easier than glossy finishes? And what happens if you get a rock chip? I assume there's no way to spot repair this.

Never had a glossy finish wrap, so can't comment.

If you have a damage to the wrap that is beyond self-healing, it would have definitely did some paint damage. It's much cheaper to replace a section of wrap that is to repair the paint....

IMHO, Ceramic pro and similar things are a waste of money.

Thank you very much for the baseline. Re the quote above, I am paying 3500 to essentially change the way my car looks. It is effectively a paint job in my opinion. I don't want rocks kicking up or anything else damaging the how I am choosing the car to look. Its annoying to see sections of you car lose paint. It will be equally annoying to me if i see the underlying white paint in areas where the wrap get picked off. For an additional $400 bucks, I'll protect the 3500 investment.